for techies only

roach3

was recently given an old sony vaio with xp installed and was asked to remove photos of it
this laptop went into the usual endless safemode reboot
no problem I thought ill take drive out and attach to another pc etc

turns out the drive is knackered clicking and banging away whilst trying to read the contents
off the few times its listed the users it fails to read the whole folder with unable to read error messages

ive managed to get to the properties of the folder to change permissions but that fails aswell listing endless files that it cant locate.
I then used the security workaround in windows 10 test mode to bypass the permissions change but this fails aswell with random error messages.

so does anyone know of anyway to access the contents of this drive without professional removal?

I know your thread title is 'for techies only' but that sounds like you need @aguero93:20 s patented advice more than anyone elses. It sounds like it's physically knackered and no amount of clever software can get around that.

I'm guessing it wasn't working before you got your hands on it?

was recently given an old sony vaio with xp installed and was asked to remove photos of it
this laptop went into the usual endless safemode reboot
no problem I thought ill take drive out and attach to another pc etc

turns out the drive is knackered clicking and banging away whilst trying to read the contents
off the few times its listed the users it fails to read the whole folder with unable to read error messages

ive managed to get to the properties of the folder to change permissions but that fails aswell listing endless files that it cant locate.
I then used the security workaround in windows 10 test mode to bypass the permissions change but this fails aswell with random error messages.

so does anyone know of anyway to access the contents of this drive without professional removal?
Try reconnecting it to the old laptop and booting it in BIOS mode and transferring the files that way maybe? Not even sure if that will work tbh.

It won't but you genuinely surprised me there, you mellowing in your old age?
Getting somebody to use BIOS on a machine that old isn't exactly an act of kindness :) I try to be helpful in this forum, sometimes think I'm in off topic if I'm navigating via the unread posts page though :)

There was a bit of free software that used to scrape knackered drives. I think it was pandora but I might be mistaken

Firstly we have to fix and blockade broken disk sectors, trying anything else simply won't work. Is it a slave drive or master i.e. has an os on it?

ok as TCIB has said this drive it riddled with bad sectors so one in 10 times it will manage to access the contents of the drive
its out of a laptop and connected to my pc
it has xp on it
going through the folder structure I manage to get to the admin user folder
from this point opening this folder takes an age even on my uber rig as it has to read the contents before opening it
inside this folder is all the photos docs vids etc
after reading this folder and attempting to open it I get error messages saying file xx cannot be read, in other words the bad sectors
and it fails to open.
you can usually take ownership of the folder by changing permission settings in the security properties which then saves
having to read the entire contents of the folder before it opens
this failed to work aswell throwing out more errors about file corruption

i remember back in the nineties msdos used to have the ability to mark bad sectors as unusable
so it would skip rather than stick at those points, not sure if it would work on this drive though as its
in a bad state

ill check on seagates site as they usually have decent diag tools
failing that shes lost her photos.

thanks for the responses guys

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.