Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not poking fun, I don't like the way the stadium is designed or looks, and think other teams have better stadiums. It's a valid opinion, but mature intelligent people would just disagree rather than look like idiots by trying to frame someone as a rag to try and discredit the fact they don't like the stadium design.

Not sure what you expect though? I think the stadium is excellent. Newer stadia will always be built so do we knock ours down every time somebody builds something better?

This thread has turned into living proof that you can't please all the people, all the time. Over the past 8/9 years, the Sheik has changed most of our lives and improved that pocket of Manchester immeasurably - yet we still have people whinging that our 55k seater stadium isn't as good as something that hasn't even been built yet!! YCNMIU.

Things to consider when discussing stadiums:
- Anything brand new will be referred to as being 'soulless'.
- Anything symmetrical will be seen as lacking 'character'.
- Are state if the art facilities worth paying premium prices?
- Older stadiums usually have terrible facilities in comparison (seat room, toilets, concourse space).
- They usually aren't symmetrical which makes them less appealing on the eyes.
- Transport can be poor if the stadium is expanded (because the infrastructure wasn't built to accommodate the extra 20k people).

If you asked everyone to mention what makes a good stadium, you'd get answers along the following lines:
Atmosphere,
History,
Aesthetics and look,
Transport,
Facilities,
Area around the ground.

Some people prefer tiered stands (Bernie), others would like giant stands (Dortmund). Some people would go for the history and what they've grown up watching on tele (Anfield) and others would like something that's more personal to themselves (Maine road).

The club will never please everyone, so they need to set clear objectives of what they want to do, if it's creating a better atmosphere, then they need to study what improves it and so on.

Unlike the sheds that squat on the end of malnourished side streets the Etihad looks like it's landed on earth from an advanced civilisation. Tremendous piece of engineering, then and now (with the tricky extension work). I've no doubt it will just get better and better...the only rum things for me are the concrete elements looking a little tired on occasion.
Convinced that once the East and West sides are completed, a total wrap around (or at least some form of new exterior) will be carried out.
Whether this occurs before the 'mythical Panda World' destination...I simply don't know.
I actually prefer Chelsea's planned new ground to Spurs - I think the architectural flair will be longer lasting (and I think it's something we'll look at rather than Spurs 'modern stadia' take which, worldwide, are ten a penny).

Drove past the Britannia in Stoke yesterday - believe me the Etihad is a thing of beauty.

Drove past the Britannia in Stoke yesterday - believe me the Etihad is a thing of beauty.

I don't think anybody was looking to swap.

I'm hoping the east west profiles liven the gaff up because it looks very grey, on a grey day (5/12's of the yr) its a grey out....like the corra intro

How the tarmacers got paid for joe mercer way and the ground apron i'll never know.

Yeah they have to put more disable spaces by law think its dropping to 73k though.

Nailed on United will be the first major English club to campaign and bring in safe standing
they could take their ground to 90000 if they went with it

I don't think that the club will ever stand still and rest of its laurels under the current ownership and that is backed up by the fact that there's always improvements being made to the stadium. I love the Eithad and I'm sure the club will only make it better. I just hope they make it accessible for all. For every fan willing to pay £thousands a season there are hundreds that need the club to remain accessible. In the wake of the added revenue that will continue to grow I hope the club never lose sight of that.

The Etihad looks great and is up there with best of them in terms of architecture(might need a lick of paint and the concrete bases sorting out) but it wont look as symmetrical as it did until all the expansion work is done... is that really such a big deal that it doesn't quite look as perfect as it could? Going from Maine Road or any other traditional design of stadium to being totally fussy obsessing about having everything just right/totally symmetrical right here and now rather than accepting it will have to wait is as others have said akin to acting like a spoilt little brat. It's a sign how good fans have things when they are having to look as far and wide as this to find something to moan and obsess about. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.