The ''How The Hell Did We Lose That Game'' thread (26 years ago today..)

Sunderland away title winning 11-12 season springs to mind. A lot of those already this season tbh, Boro and Spurs at home, Chelsea, Everton maybe, not creating that many clear cut chances in the Everton game, but still missed two penalties

They had a 20 year celebration with the keeper and scorer when we played them in 2011, and they almost got a repeat.

The Brum away 2-1 in Dec 1997 was my worst away for turning a defeat into victory 89th minute city goal, one disallowed 3 or 4 mins later, roll on another 5 mins and 2-1 own without any injuries in the game.

Hull away, first game of the 1988/89 season springs to mind.

Remember being on that open terrace for the Notts game like it was yesterday. Alan Harper got dogs abuse that day. Many years later, after I'd moved there, I had a mate in Nottingham who was a Notts fan who still went on about that Steve Cherry goal. Notts fans make Rochdale and Stoke supporters look sophisticated btw. Most of them hail from Eastwood, Heanor, Hucknall and the like. Fucking bumpkins.

Notts County 1 City 0, FA Cup 5th Round..... is there a game greater than this when we should have won / not lost?
Steve f*****g Cherry

That bring back some very disappointing memories Phill, very cold very miserable and lost a game that we should have walked! Hope you're enjoying the sunshine still!!!!

They had a 20 year celebration with the keeper and scorer when we played them in 2011, and they almost got a repeat.

The Brum away 2-1 in Dec 1997 was my worst away for turning a defeat into victory 89th minute city goal, one disallowed 3 or 4 mins later, roll on another 5 mins and 2-1 own without any injuries in the game.

I went to that Birmingham game; as I did the Notts County cup game and Boro at home. Not 100% sure if I was at Bolton game but probably was.

I'm pretty sure there were a few in the 70's where we hammered teams at home and didn't win; did we do that in the game where Franny scored the winner for Derby?

Hull away, first game of the 1988/89 season springs to mind.

Remember being on that open terrace for the Notts game like it was yesterday. Alan Harper got dogs abuse that day. Many years later, after I'd moved there, I had a mate in Nottingham who was a Notts fan who still went on about that Steve Cherry goal. Notts fans make Rochdale and Stoke supporters look sophisticated btw. Most of them hail from Eastwood, Heanor, Hucknall and the like. Fucking bumpkins.

Steve Cherry goal? And for 26 years and 1 day there was me thinking it was Gary Lund who scored ;)

Just thinking about that day again, I remember after getting back that night I ended up in the Steam House on Didsbury Road in Heaton Mersey with a few mates drowning my sorrows on Newquay Steam cider. Then just before chucking out time, I said I was going home to watch MOTD. My mate who had been at the game with me couldn't believe it - "Why the fuck do you want to rush home to watch us get beat?!!!" To this day, I don't quite know why I did it and there's not a chance I'd do such a thing these days.

The Bolton one was gutting. I remember Musampa flashing it across goal more clearly than hitting the bar. Couldn't believe no-one could get a touch.

The most painful for me was Sunderland away in the 2012. The last minute winner was an absolute sickener.

I remember this very clearly and it was, for me, exactly half a lifetime ago. I had just turned 26. Was just behind that left hand post and still can't believe that fat **** Cherry kept us out.

Good times though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.