The Boxing thread

I get really pissed of with all the trash talk in the build up to the fights, at the end of the fight I was sat there watching them fawning over each other and half expecting them to partake in a mutual blow job.

Its just to promote the fight, why take it seriously ? trash talk probably added a few more million viewers and a few more million in there bank account, why wouldn't they do that ?

I think the fight should have been called off as soon as he did his achilles in training and everyone knew it. Haye must have really needed the money to go ahead with it, his words after the fight must have been agreed upon beforehand as soon as Matchroom got wind of the injury, it all seemed like make believe from everyone in that post fight ringside bit.

I said after the first round his footwork was off(flat footed and plodding forward), not only that he did appear desperate swinging(uncharacteristically) wildly to land big from the first round(most likely because he knew there was a chance the ankle wouldn't hold up) and as soon as he did start finding his rhythm from the 4th round onwards(first time anyone looked dominant in that fight) it didn't take long for his ankle to go.

As unlikeable as he is, it's a shame how things have gone for him especially with his injuries, I think he will retire for good if he doesn't then he must really still need the money. Anyone know how much they made off this one?

What's more strange is the amount of people trying to downplay the injury, nice to find one exception atleast:

Hasn't Haye got a lot of history with this though? Lost to Klitscho and blamed it on injury (broken toe i think), pulled out of the Fury fight close to the date with another injury. If he'd done the same here i imagine no promoter going would want anything to do with him.

Hasn't Haye got a lot of history with this though? Lost to Klitscho and blamed it on injury (broken toe i think), pulled out of the Fury fight close to the date with another injury. If he'd done the same here i imagine no promoter going would want anything to do with him.
Yes it was apparently 3 fights in a row(in and around the scheduled Fury fight) that he had to pull out of because of a reoccurring shoulder injury, it does sound a bit like the Vinny K situation as someone said on this thread. I would have said postpone it as Bellew seemed to suggest on fight week but I've since heard the achilles can take several months to heal I'm no expert on how long it would take to get a fight back on with such an injury... but yeah he would have been slaughtered by the fight fans for it reputation wise which then makes it harder for a promoter to sell. If there's one thing that will come good of it is, now people will find it harder to deny he has had genuine injury problems as he's got older and he'll have gained a bit of respect for trying to fight through it despite not being able to walk or punch properly. I don't believe you can blame it on him not looking after himself, he never looks out of shape even in his time out(same as Vinny).

Yes it was apparently 3 fights in a row(in and around the scheduled Fury fight) that he had to pull out of because of a reoccurring shoulder injury, it does sound a bit like the Vinny K situation as someone said on this thread. I would have said postpone it as Bellew seemed to suggest on fight week but I've since heard the achilles can take several months to heal I'm no expert on how long it would take to get a fight back on with such an injury... but yeah he would have been slaughtered by the fight fans for it reputation wise which then makes it harder for a promoter to sell. If there's one thing that will come good of it is, now people will find it harder to deny he has had genuine injury problems as he's got older and he'll have gained a bit of respect for trying to fight through it despite not being able to walk or punch properly. I don't believe you can blame it on him not looking after himself, he never looks out of shape even in his time out(same as Vinny).
You could tell from the first bell there was something not right with him. His stance was unlike anything ive ever seen before from him and he was so erratic and all over the place he was clearly trying to knock out Bellew with one punch from the off as his movement was so limited. It turned it into a farce, and like you say might of been the best option to postpone it, but at such short notice and with Hayes previous it probably made it almost impossible.

Shite fight, I dont mind paying for decent PPVs but I stuck to a stream for this one. Two absolute clowns but detest Haye more than I detest Bellew so happy with the outcome, just a shame it was a bit of a worthless victory due to the injury.

Wouldn't call myself an expert but I have experienced achilles injuries, snapping one clean in half back in 1996 and rupturing the other 10 years later, both playing football. 6 weeks in a full pot up to your nads followed by 4 weeks in a knee height cast. Quite a bit of muscle wastage happens in those 10 weeks, so I'd say the fight would have been postponed for a good 6 months.
Just my opinion based on the above but I can't see how he's got into the ring with any kind of achilles injury. Whilst not painful after the initial couple of minutes you can't get on your toes, which I would guess would limit your ability to punch, let alone chase Bellew round the ring.

Eddie Hearn annoys me so much, I hope Klitchko still has enough in him to put one on Joshua. Would love to see him reeling.

Eddie Hearn annoys me so much, I hope Klitschko still has enough in him to put one on Joshua. Would love to see him reeling.
Granted Hearn is a tool but why would you want that?? Joshua is a gent and a cracking prospect, he doesn't bullshit and gob off like Haye, Fury and the like either. I think you will be disappointed, I can see Joshua going far as a heavyweight and unifying the division again.. He will be far too fast and powerful for klitschko, who is very static and lacks mobility, he's tailor made for Joshua..

Its just to promote the fight, why take it seriously ? trash talk probably added a few more million viewers and a few more million in there bank account, why wouldn't they do that ?

I have no problem with promoting the fight as such, but some of the comments that came out prior to this fight were disgusting. Fair enough if they genuinely hate each other but if it's for the sake of promotion then it's wrong in my eyes.

I have no problem with promoting the fight as such, but some of the comments that came out prior to this fight were disgusting. Fair enough if they genuinely hate each other but if it's for the sake of promotion then it's wrong in my eyes.

dont think anyone really took it seriously and know it was for promotion - doesnt make it less of a spectacle - no different to what Mohammed Ali was saying 50 odd years ago, boxing is like that and always will be

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.