Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
clearly nobody has a fucking Scooby what is going to happen for sure. There has lots of speculation and conjecture - lets get things underway and then we will see the whites of everybodys eyes and let us see who was closest with their guess as to the outcome.

If you don't care about the UK, then why should anybody listen or respect your views on Brexit and/or the UK?
Because this is an open forum and the views of each contributor should be both listened to and respected, whether you agree with the point or not.
Treating fellow users with respect is also part of the CoC.

Because this is an open forum and the views of each contributor should be both listened to and respected, whether you agree with the point or not.

No, his post overrules that. He didn't make a point, in fact he specifically said that he doesn't care about the point.

It's like if I go into a Smiths thread where there's a heated debate about whether Hatful of Hollow or the Queen is Dead is better, and my post says "I don't like the Smiths". Ok champ, thanks for that. It doesn't add to the point instead it literally tells people to ignore your opinion because you're not bothered either way

No, his post overrules that. He didn't make a point, in fact he specifically said that he doesn't care about the point.

It's like if I go into a Smiths thread where there's a heated debate about whether Hatful of Hollow or the Queen is Dead is better, and my post says "I don't like the Smiths". Ok champ, thanks for that. It doesn't add to the point instead it literally tells people to ignore your opinion because you're not bothered either way

'The Queen Is Dead' for me

As in the above post, we'd be forced to charge non-EU countries EU based tariffs. Setting up a new free trade area agreement we'd have that at the negotiating table - we'd probably acquiesce on this tariff but we'd obviously get them to soften their position on something beneficial to us. Essentially if we sign up to the Customs Union we've thrown away a bargaining chip that we could have gotten something else for. May as well make them work for it if it's possible.

Good point, I can see that. I can't see it happening, but it might be the best outcome if we could achieve it.

Probably very little effect on most of us.
There have been numerous political scare stories during my lifetime and i honestly can't recall any that have affected my life in a real day to day sense.
Politics is overrated,

As in the above post, we'd be forced to charge non-EU countries EU based tariffs. Setting up a new free trade area agreement we'd have that at the negotiating table - we'd probably acquiesce on this tariff but we'd obviously get them to soften their position on something beneficial to us. Essentially if we sign up to the Customs Union we've thrown away a bargaining chip that we could have gotten something else for. May as well make them work for it if it's possible.

Yeah it would be pretty daft for anybody to bail at this stage when, however unlikely, we might come out with some miraculous deal.
You're suggesting that we will be able to agree a tariff free trade deal with the EU and unlike other EU members have no obligation to apply external EU tariffs and presumably be able to negotiate our own deals outside the EU something no other EU member is allowed to do!
Yeah,right.
You've also suggested the sole driving force behind the negotiations will be economics.
It won't, it will be political as well ( in the same way as the UK decision to leave was more about politics than economics).

I've got my eye on a spanish bird who's just moved up the road, how long have I got to nail it before she might be kicked out. These things override any other possible decisions on Brexit that bother me at the moment.

24 hours.
Send pics

You're suggesting that we will be able to agree a tariff free trade deal with the EU and unlike other EU members have no obligation to apply external EU tariffs and presumably be able to negotiate our own deals outside the EU something no other EU member is allowed to do!
Yeah,right.
You've also suggested the sole driving force behind the negotiations will be economics.
It won't, it will be political as well ( in the same way as the UK decision to leave was more about politics than economics).

I'm not sure using precedent in an argument about an unprecedented event is really sensible. This isn't Greenland leaving here, we're the fifth largest economy in the world, one of the few net contributors to the EU and a not insignificant amount of their trade already. The path ahead is unforged.

I suggested that the deciding driving force behind negotiations is and will always be economics rather than the sole. Political will is a thing but stick 100 politicians in a room together negotiating a treaty and it mainly seems to come down to money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.