General Videogame Thread

I've seen them both, I've been reading Sterling since his Destructoid days and support him on Patreon when he decided to strike out on his own. Along with Schilling he's one of my go-to reviewers.

You don't also seem to know that Sterling gets DDoS'ed constantly. His views about inclusivity in video games seem to be the attack point though he was also vocal on GamerGate and other issues, he's commonly termed as a SJW. He was "attacked" after the No Man's Sky review, after his CoD reviews, after his MGS reviews. He's also constantly attacked by game publishers and game developers for different reasons.

Essentially people don't like him and he's a lightning rod. The idea that "this is what happens when you don't review Zelda well" is absolutely ludicrous. This is what happens when Jim posts a controversial review regardless of what game he's playing.

It's funny really isn't it? You're doing the climate change denial thing. There's 500 reviews that get it at 10/10 and one of if not THE best game ever made, and there's one bloke who says "yeah it's pretty good" and gives it 7/10 and your response is LOOK THIS ONE GUY IS TELLING THE TRUTH IT'S A GLOBAL CONSPIRACY THE REST ARE SCARED. About video game scores.

Jim has his own taste in games. His adores the Dynasty Warriors series which I happen to believe is badly designed trash. He likes most first person shooters whereas I think many of them are terrible. He's fully entitled to his views on a game but it doesn't overrank the masses of other critics who are also just as entitled to their review and scored it so highly.

To be honest I find your conspiratorial idea of game reviewers bowing to pressure about a score to be a bit bizarre all around.

It's not the 7/10 that I'm arsed about Damo, it's the fact that he's had the bollocks to actually review the game properly (noting it's good and bad parts) which a lot of the high end reviewers don't tend to do.... Exactly like JS said, people tend to look at the scores and not the review itself and him giving it a 7 is proof in the pudding as fans of Zelda have seen the score and bombarded him with hate, I bet about 30% of then actually read his review, which was in fact a really good review!

There are conspiracies flying around that the reviews were paid for by Nintendo as they needed the reviews to be glowing in order to sell the Switch... Now I'm not saying they did but something like that is plausible, not just on Nintendo but anyone else's side as it has happened in the past (I do recall reading about a similar situation a few years back but cannot recall which game it was)..

I have gone back to metacritic and strangely enough it's only showing me 6 reviews from critics (Not including fans reviews), I'm sure there were about 40+ critic reviews on there the other day but it may be because I'm searching it on my phone?

He was "attacked" after the No Man's Sky review
What were is views on that game? I've seen his comments on the game's hype but haven't seen what he actually thinks of the game itself. I know he has a video on it but I can't watch it whilst at work and I was thinking of heading out to buy the game later on - the price has dropped and I've read that the latest updates improve the game tremendously.

Is it worth buying now or is it still no good?

Last night I got early access to Mass Effect Andromeda and spent about 2-3 hours after our game trying to lose myself in it.

Initial feelings are it's bloody gorgeous. Game mechanics so far handle very slick, but I've little to no upgrades yet so that could change fast.

It's HUGE. The worlds are very large, well the one I've been on was, plus the space stations.

My one gripe so far is there has been far too many opportunities to put the controller down while cut scenes take place. Annoying, but I've no idea how early I am into the story so no worried just yet.

But it's good.

There are conspiracies flying around that the reviews were paid for by Nintendo as they needed the reviews to be glowing in order to sell the Switch... Now I'm not saying they did but something like that is plausible, not just on Nintendo but anyone else's side as it has happened in the past (I do recall reading about a similar situation a few years back but cannot recall which game it was)..

That's completely implausible to the point of insanity.

It has happened in the past though and probably happens to this day. Especially on youtube.

It's happened once, and they were required to tell people it was a paid review, and was confined to a few Youtubers.

The idea that something like this game has got a high score because of widespread corruption rather than the simpler notion that it's just a very good game, is absurd.

It's happened once, and they were required to tell people it was a paid review, and was confined to a few Youtubers.

The idea that something like this game has got a high score because of widespread corruption rather than the simpler notion that it's just a very good game, is absurd.

I agree and disagree.... I agree on a personal level, that I don't believe the accusation to be true.... but in a world where corruption pretty much lies everywhere I disagree that the notion is absurd.

However you have to admit that it's odd Metacritic removed all their critic reviews and now are slowly adding them back on??? They had something like 40 critic reviews on release and now only 8???

Last edited:
I really am excited for ME Andromeda. However, i have been reading/ watching early impressions of the game and they aren't good. Things like poor animations mainly facial expressions and poor writing are main gripes. Also no minimap while exploring in the buggy. Even still i'll buy it regardless as ive followed the games from the start

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.