Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully agree with your justified reasons why an exception should be made, but it still does not address the fundamental point that a precedent will have to be made in terms of breaching the founding rules of access to the single market (I'm not aware of any other in existence but I'm not an aficionado on that subject) - Problem is nobody likes precedents as that will open up a can of worms, what would then stop Switzerland from saying ' we want the same package' as the UK for financial services without the conditionality attached to entry to the single market, look how the EU has stood firm in the face of the Swiss referendum result on eu migration (which is supposed to be legally binding under there constitution)

Question is will EU political ideology trump economic logic

I can't see it as business investment depends on profits not politics, and once the business lobbyists get on to the European politicians they own, it’ll be the Europeans pushing for a deal for London.

The ECB has already tried to stop countries from outside the eurozone trading euros, it failed. As you know London is Europe’s financial centre despite not having the euro, even Eurodollar futures are linked to Libor.

One of the reason London is so successful is because it's outside of mainland Europe and the British legal system is excellent for these types of business. Soon there will be a transaction tax on financial flows, in Europe only, no one wants to pay that, look at Ireland, inside the EU, in the shit because of it's pro-business policies. I look forward to Irexit.

I agree there's scope for more representation, and I also agree that the technology we are using (bits of paper stuffed into boxes) is in the dark ages. Why on earth we can't vote online when you can fill in your tax return online, god only knows.

Well no one happily pays tax twice!

David Davies said yesterday that no economic assessment had been done on the 'no deal' scenario and yet we are told that 'no deal is better than a bad deal'!
Look at it more closely. If the final deal was that we only got a tariff and non tariff free deal on cars but nothing else then that would be a bad deal, but it would be better than no deal because at least the UK car business would be protected and the jobs that go with it?
Isn't that right Jeff?

It's not about fluid borders, because a lot of people are completely unaware of their own countries past, but it is about an identity. Humans need identity. A sense of belonging. Being.

A sense of identity...

A being...

How about we all declare ourselves human beings?

La Reyne le veult

As she writes.

Is that foreign for "BACK OFF BRUSSELS!"

al-murray-pub-landlord.jpg

That's an entirely valid question which I've been posing for 15 months on this very forum. Some Brexiters seem to think that economics winning is a "no-brainer" and that anyone who suggests otherwise is an idiot. I think it's a very valid question actually, and in my estimation, politics will have a huge say in the final settlement. I cannot imagine anything being agreed upon which incentivises other countries to leave.

I do think politics will have a say in the shape of the final deal but I can't look past the idea that these are generally sensible people who aren't going to blow up the Continent economically for the sake of some political leverage.

My most controversial opinion that I hold is that most politicians are generally doing what they think is best for the people, county or country that they represent

The sooner aliens land the sooner we can all join together and go to war with them instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.