Benjamin Mendy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Victor moses isn't technically great yet he has been one of the best players for Chelsea this season, if you compare both players- Mendy comes out on top anytime, any day. Mendy would be a good signing for the team.

We play a different system to Chelsea, Pep wants technical players to play his style. What we need is a player that is physical as well as technical, hopefully the scouting comes fruitful.

Victor moses isn't technically great yet he has been one of the best players for Chelsea this season, if you compare both players- Mendy comes out on top anytime, any day. Mendy would be a good signing for the team.

Can you present any comparison on how Mendy is better than Moses ?

Agreed the FB requirement nowadays is pace power and stamina he has all three plus puts in great crosses so im not sure what else he needs tbh at 22 he has years ahead of him to hone his skills

Technically he's average at best, a left footed Micah Richards. His pace and power make him look better than he is.

Would you have Micah Richards in his prime at RB in this current team?

Because I'd snap your hand off if we were offered a player that good to fit into this side. At LB, that's a no brainer too.

Victor Moses is actually pretty good technically. Way better than Mendy.

But that's neither here nor there. The question here is who is most likely to fit. Moses for example spent 5 to 6 years in and out of the Chelsea team, going on loan all over the place until he finally found a niche as a wingback this season. I doubt that's the kind of history we are looking for at fullback.

Mendy is a lot like Baba Rahman at Chelsea last year. Athletic, powerful and with a mean cross. But technically slighly off. Actually think Baba Rahman is technically superior to Mendy. Baba didn't work out, albeit I think Chelsea gave up too early. Mendy could turn out great, but just projecting I think he'll be just okay. The reality is he is way better than Clichy or Kolarov so it would be an upgrade. My thing is simply that we can do more than just upgrade the position. We can make it upgrade the whole squad.

Would you have Micah Richards in his prime at RB in this current team?

Because I'd snap your hand off if we were offered a player that good to fit into this side. At LB, that's a no brainer too.

I absolutely loved Micah Richards and he was a brilliant player for us at the time and right now if fully fit and in his prime yes I would have him at right back till the end of the season as a very short term stopgap.

However moving into next season and the style of play we want to develop then absolutely not, we need more tactical intelligence and technical ability. You're only as good as your weakest link and every player has to have the right balance between physical, technical and tactical ability. The only left back I've seen with that balance of abilities at the levels we need I think is Grimaldo at Benfica, although I don't watch him week in week out so he might have weaknesses that I haven't seen.

Agreed the FB requirement nowadays is pace power and stamina he has all three plus puts in great crosses so im not sure what else he needs tbh at 22 he has years ahead of him to hone his skills

It's not the 90's pal, there's so much more a fullback needs at Champions League levels. The best fullback over the last 10 years has been Lahm and he's tiny and while he's not slow he's never been particularly quick.

I am not sure also. People keep going on about a technical full back. Dani Alves in his Sevilla days was known for energy, bursting runs forward and his crosses. That was about it. Until recently, Marcelo defended like a headless chicken but was known to contribute immensely to the attack, Jordi Alba remains a terrible defender, you can ask any Barcelona fan - light weight, obsessed with going forward BUT his work rate is what makes him stand out. You wouldn't find a Full back now that is as experienced as Phillipe Lahm or Dani Alves at 22 - 25, you just wouldn't, lets not forget Lahm reached his peak very late, at a point Lahm wasn't rated at all by any German especially after gifting Torres that goal in Euro 2008. Energy, work rate and aggression is what we should be looking for now, Technicality and experience would grow naturally under the tutelage of an experienced manager.

Victor Moses is a wing back (because of a back 3), his role is slightly different from Mendy in that he has more attacking freedom. In this sense I think all he needs is pace, power and stamina to boss his flank. Under this description wouldn't Sane make an excellent wing back?

Victor Moses is a wing back (because of a back 3), his role is slightly different from Mendy in that he has more attacking freedom. In this sense I think all he needs is pace, power and stamina to boss his flank. Under this description wouldn't Sane make an excellent wing back?

We'd be limiting what he offers to the team and hugely limiting his potential by playing him as a wing back, IMO. He's going to be a damn good winger, as he's already shown in glimpses in the past few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.