Liverpool - post match thread.

The attack needs finishing coaching,that's by far and away our biggest problem & Kun & Dave are the biggest culprits.

it does yes, it needs some attention, but i think how bad the defence has become (to what it could/should be) compared to how many glorious chances we miss is the bigger of the two issues, i feel the former can only degrade while the latter could re-balance itself with a lot less investment of money & time

not that we should ignore one for the other , and arguably scoring goals is far more important, but for me this defensive group will not improve from here on in without investment.

Across all competitions, yes. I'm talking 20 in the league, but let's break his scoring down:

His 13 goals in the Premier League (played in 22) have been:

vs Sunderland 1 (pen)
@ Stoke 2 (1 pen)
@ Swansea 2 (1 pen)
@ West Brom 2
vs Middlesbrough 1
@ Burnley 2
vs Burnley 1
@ Sunderland 1
vs Liverpool 1

8 goals in the Champions League (played in 7 games) have been:

@ Steaua 3
vs Gladbach 3 (1 pen)
vs Monaco 2

4 goals in the FA Cup (played in 4) have been:

@ West Ham 1
vs Huddersfield 2 (1 pen)
@ Middlesbrough 1

He also featured for 19 minutes against U****d in the League Cup, but I'm not going to count that as a competition we were taking seriously.

In summary, Sergio has played in 33 games this season and scored 25 goals, 5 of which have been penalties. On the face of it, this is a good return.
However, when you dig deeper into the statistics, he has only scored in 15 of the 33 games (45%) in which he has featured.

On a Premier League level, Sergio has scored in 9 of the 22 games (41%) in which he has played. Compare that with Ibrahimovic (48%), Mane (50%) Kane (50%), Lukaku (50%), Costa (62%) and he is lowest of the other best strikers in the league.

He's also only scored against one of the top 7 teams (there is a significant gap below Everton, hence this unusual cut-off point). Compared with Ibrahimovic, Lukaku, Kane (all 2), Mane, Costa (both 3), Sergio is again bottom of the pack.

Factoring in all of these things, plus Aguero's increasing lack of clinical-ness in front of goal, I maintain that we need an experienced striker who will score consistently.

(sorry for the long post, I got a little carried away).

Good post, although I'd suggest looking at the timing of the goals would be important too. I get the feeling Aguero didn't start as well but has recently kicked up another gear. I'd be interested in the same comparison performed over only the last 15 games, for example.

As for our non-penalty I don't think you will see a more blatant penalty if you tried. 2 yards from goal, open net, and Milner comes through the back of Sterling preventing him scoring a certain goal. I think 100% of Sunday League refs would have given that as a penalty, most of the crowd who had a good view (me included) could see it was a penalty but the actual professional ref couldn't !!!?

I am certain that the lino or Oliver had a good view of that. Not seeing it and not giving it are a million miles apart. Oliver and the useless lino on the CB side would have had a clear view one way or the other from the short distance between but the Bottler chooses not to give it. It's funny how they can be so clear when it's against us but 'doubtful' when it's for us!

One thing that annoys me is how many long-range screamers Spurs seem to score, while our players never even attempt them this season.

Our attacking play isn't designed to threaten through the centre, so we aren't going to shoot like Spurs do.

Pep has the whole side set-up to ensure we are arrive in the penalty area from spreading the play as wide as possible, waiting for the cut back.

Teams know what we are going to do, yet we still fashion those chances.

It's a double-edged sword, as it means we only have one focal point to really hit at in Sergio/Jesus, as we create those overloads in the wide areas.

You can only really fix it and keep the opposition penned in if we get better full-backs to make the overlaps and a technically excellent midfield sitter.

Liverpool could have won it yesterday - the reality is we SHOULD have won it.

Kudos to the lads, who were out on their feet.

Felt sorry for Clichy. He ran himself into the ground, regardless of his defensive shortcomings.

And John Stones needs to trust himself even more to attack the space and get us out, because he really is excellent.

Across all competitions, yes. I'm talking 20 in the league, but let's break his scoring down:

His 13 goals in the Premier League (played in 22) have been:

vs Sunderland 1 (pen)
@ Stoke 2 (1 pen)
@ Swansea 2 (1 pen)
@ West Brom 2
vs Middlesbrough 1
@ Burnley 2
vs Burnley 1
@ Sunderland 1
vs Liverpool 1

8 goals in the Champions League (played in 7 games) have been:

@ Steaua 3
vs Gladbach 3 (1 pen)
vs Monaco 2

4 goals in the FA Cup (played in 4) have been:

@ West Ham 1
vs Huddersfield 2 (1 pen)
@ Middlesbrough 1

He also featured for 19 minutes against U****d in the League Cup, but I'm not going to count that as a competition we were taking seriously.

In summary, Sergio has played in 33 games this season and scored 25 goals, 5 of which have been penalties. On the face of it, this is a good return.
However, when you dig deeper into the statistics, he has only scored in 15 of the 33 games (45%) in which he has featured.

On a Premier League level, Sergio has scored in 9 of the 22 games (41%) in which he has played. Compare that with Ibrahimovic (48%), Mane (50%) Kane (50%), Lukaku (50%), Costa (62%) and he is lowest of the other best strikers in the league.

He's also only scored against one of the top 7 teams (there is a significant gap below Everton, hence this unusual cut-off point). Compared with Ibrahimovic, Lukaku, Kane (all 2), Mane, Costa (both 3), Sergio is again bottom of the pack.

Factoring in all of these things, plus Aguero's increasing lack of clinical-ness in front of goal, I maintain that we need an experienced striker who will score consistently.

(sorry for the long post, I got a little carried away).

Good post.

I do think there's been an issue with Kun's return in the big games and I also agree he's lost some of his clinical edge. The solution may well just be Jesus. Be interesting to see what would've happened had he not got injured.

On yesterday's match. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Football played at the very highest level between two sides who were happy to keep throwing big punches. After our travails in midweek it was heartening to see the character we showed in the last 20 minutes in particular.

Part of me feels deeply disappointed we're out of the title race and the CL in March. But then part of me feels like we'll be infinitely stronger next season both in a footballing capacity and also the players mentally.

well, a cracking game for sure, with a real mix of everything.

Frustrating not to win given some of the glorious chances we had (De Bruyne, Sterling, Aguero, Silva) but they had some chances to win as well, and I thought Caballero was good.

The defence is due a complete overhaul this summer.

it was a great game. I think a draw was probably fair based on chances. We edged it play wise but our keeper certainly had more to do than theirs. I think both sides had 13 attempts. I think Liverpool will be nailed on for top 4 based on their fixtures remaining and having seen them yesterday. There are no other sides who will give them as many problems as we did.

Good post.

I do think there's been an issue with Kun's return in the big games and I also agree he's lost some of his clinical edge. The solution may well just be Jesus. Be interesting to see what would've happened had he not got injured.

On yesterday's match. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Football played at the very highest level between two sides who were happy to keep throwing big punches. After our travails in midweek it was heartening to see the character we showed in the last 20 minutes in particular.

Part of me feels deeply disappointed we're out of the title race and the CL in March. But then part of me feels like we'll be infinitely stronger next season both in a footballing capacity and also the players mentally.
I was happy with a point, though when I watched MOTD it was a bit galling to see how the ref missed the penalty on Sterling.

The key moment of the season for me will be the return of Gabriel Jesus. He scored 3 goals in 4 games and looked electric. If he comes back and proves that that was no flash in the pan, then Pep is 3/4 of the way there. The final defensive jigsaw pieces need to be slotted in in the Summer, but I think we are improving.

The spirit yesterday was excellent. Could have collapsed at 0-1. They looked a tired team, but we hung in there for 15 mins then came back again. Stones has turned the corner. I was hoping he would bring the ball out of defence as he did at Monaco, and he did it again. He now has to do this more often, and not just when we are a goal down and we have to gamble. Being able to do that will be a huge part of City's play, and it makes playing the ball out from the keeper really worthwhile.

It was a really exciting game. Credit too to Liverpool. I know City fans don't like them, but I enjoy watching them play.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.