Liverpool - post match thread.

it was a great game. I think a draw was probably fair based on chances. We edged it play wise but our keeper certainly had more to do than theirs. I think both sides had 13 attempts. I think Liverpool will be nailed on for top 4 based on their fixtures remaining and having seen them yesterday. There are no other sides who will give them as many problems as we did.
I think we have some difficult fixtures immediately ahead, but getting through yesterday's game without defeat was massive as I think it enables us to put a big defeat behind us. Arsenal will recover. They are too good not to. The only thing that will stop them getting top 4 is if Alexei Sanchez is really unsettled. He looks very frustrated at the moment.

It's amazing how people change their opinion after listening to the so-called 'experts'. I was unsure whether Mane deserved a penalty in the first half but watching it back Otamendi clearly does nothing to tackle the player - the right decision and all we ask for from refs.

As for our non-penalty I don't think you will see a more blatant penalty if you tried. 2 yards from goal, open net, and Milner comes through the back of Sterling preventing him scoring a certain goal. I think 100% of Sunday League refs would have given that as a penalty, most of the crowd who had a good view (me included) could see it was a penalty but the actual professional ref couldn't !!!? It can't be anything other than corrupt, It happens in virtually every single top 6 match we have. Spurs twice last season, Chelsea at home this season. It is beyond a joke.

I haven't watched the match back but there was another occasion where Aguero was clearly hauled back in the first half when he was about to connect with the ball but I haven't seen anything reported.

As for their penalty, Clichy gets the ball and doesn't even come across the player to do so. There was no threat and Firmino didn't have the ball under control but the ref couldn't wait to give it. Given the slightest sniff of a chance and he took it.

So we had not one, but two, critical decisions not given in our favour both of which were blatantly wrong decisions.

Lets also not forget Lallana, when he missed that chance he was 5 yards offside and it was not 'second phase' Had he scored that, it would have been a travesty and yet further evidence of the corrupt nature of the officials.

The only reason we didn't win that game was because of the ref in my view irrespective of the fact that we continue to be profligate with our chances. We go one up, we don't lose that game, its that simple.
Likewise. I couldn't believe we didn't get a pen for Milner's foul on Sterling

MOTD showed Sterling's chance in 2nd half when he lobbed the keeper. I was sure the keeper caught him there, but that was genuinely hard to see. I haven't played it back, but I'll forgive refs for missing that one. The first shout was unforgivable. I don't think they are corrupt, although it is hard to explain why it's so often City who lose out in these decisions.

Has Pep been asked or given any explanation as to why Nolito has played so little?
Sane has to start which leaves a straight choice between Sterling and Nolito. Sterling is a key player every game.

it does yes, it needs some attention, but i think how bad the defence has become (to what it could/should be) compared to how many glorious chances we miss is the bigger of the two issues, i feel the former can only degrade while the latter could re-balance itself with a lot less investment of money & time

not that we should ignore one for the other , and arguably scoring goals is far more important, but for me this defensive group will not improve from here on in without investment.

I'm with you Shemnel. Tight defence,ruthless attack should bring success. Think '12 & '14

We need a world class keeper,2 quick young defender/footballing full backs,1footballing beast & leader at centre half,1 defensive midfielder & 1 strong attacking central midfielder. This assumes Kun stays,he still doesn't look right or comfortable to me.

That's a minimum of 6 elite,ready to go players in with probably as many as 10 going out. I'd keep Zabba & YAYA on 1 year,appearance related deals. Zabba for his leadership,character & personality & Yaya because he can still run 28 game s a season for 65 minutes,he's still unique in world football.

Next season I'm not convinced we need a full 25 man squad with say 5 sub prime players that frankly add little or nothing of value. I'd prefer 19 elite players + 6 youth players.

Additionally,I'd categorise the LC as a youth development competition even if we go out first round,with at least 7 youngsters starting supported by fit hardened pros,Zabba,Delph,YAYA +1 for example. This would have the effect of motivating the youth,reducing the workload on a 'reduced' senior squad.

I've enjoyed our LC wins at Wembers but I'd sacrifice them in the longer term good. Kids for free,juniors £5,

Sorry my bad.....& Adults £10 should get good attendances.

City fans want to see these young players in challenging,competitive games.
If they're good enough the same selection policy could be utilised in suitable FAC games.

Sane has to start which leaves a straight choice between Sterling and Nolito. Sterling is a key player every game.

That is clear but Pep is also about rotation, particularly when the match needs a tweak to unlock défenses. I thought Sterling was a good choice to be subbed yesterday

Good post.

I do think there's been an issue with Kun's return in the big games and I also agree he's lost some of his clinical edge. The solution may well just be Jesus. Be interesting to see what would've happened had he not got injured.

On yesterday's match. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Football played at the very highest level between two sides who were happy to keep throwing big punches. After our travails in midweek it was heartening to see the character we showed in the last 20 minutes in particular.

Part of me feels deeply disappointed we're out of the title race and the CL in March. But then part of me feels like we'll be infinitely stronger next season both in a footballing capacity and also the players mentally.

Yeah, I was pleased with how they picked themselves up as mentality is a big issue for me.

Our attacking play isn't designed to threaten through the centre, so we aren't going to shoot like Spurs do.

Pep has the whole side set-up to ensure we are arrive in the penalty area from spreading the play as wide as possible, waiting for the cut back.

Teams know what we are going to do, yet we still fashion those chances.

It's a double-edged sword, as it means we only have one focal point to really hit at in Sergio/Jesus, as we create those overloads in the wide areas.

You can only really fix it and keep the opposition penned in if we get better full-backs to make the overlaps and a technically excellent midfield sitter.

Liverpool could have won it yesterday - the reality is we SHOULD have won it.

Kudos to the lads, who were out on their feet.

Felt sorry for Clichy. He ran himself into the ground, regardless of his defensive shortcomings.

And John Stones needs to trust himself even more to attack the space and get us out, because he really is excellent.

Sums things up well.

Stones was my MotM. I still tip him to end up captaining the side.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.