Why can't we score?

It's a mentality issue (Damo has explained it in more detail) more than anything technical. Normally there isn't much time to get the shot away and our players are tending to snatch at chances or in rare occasions overthink.

I think the 39% might be something of a distortion because many of them are speculative rather than genuine attempts. More so than in previous seasons. Aguero in particular seems to be trying to get shots off from outside the box even when he's facing a mass of bodies. De Bruyne likes the long distance effort and then there's Kolarov. I also think we are perhaps overdoing the pull backs, which might not manifest itself in an increase in the stats for shots inside the 6 yard box because often they doesn't result in a shot on goal.

We do seem to be short of genuine attempts from just inside the area. We're definitely missing Gundogan's ability to arrive late in the penalty area in space.That might be why our away form is generally better than at home, why we've scored more away goals in the PL.

That may be so, but doesn't negate the point that we have enough chances, efforts and shots, from distance and otherwise, to put every game to bed but are riding a ridiculously low conversion rate. Indeed, proportionately one of the worst conversion rates in the League.

To say the problem is that we are trying to "walk the ball in" is ignorant. We need more clinical finishing and, ultimately, more clinical finishers.

Lpool 61
Chelsea 59
Arse 56
Spuds 55
City 54

Only 5 goals behind the team 12 points ahead, we might be missing a lot of chances but to say we can't score any goals is a bit silly

Lpool 61
Chelsea 59
Arse 56
Spuds 55
City 54

Only 5 goals behind the team 12 points ahead, we might be missing a lot of chances but to say we can't score any goals is a bit silly

I dont think its people saying we can't score (I know the thread title says that), but i think the issue is more the amount of chances we fail to take. Chelsea dont concede many where we seem to pay badly for our failure to convert chances. Our home record this season is awful and in the majority of those games (Chelsea, Everton, Boro, Liverpool, Spurs, Stoke) we missed some glaring chances. Creating is not the issue, putting the ball in the net clearly is. If Aguero doesn't score, its hard to see where the goals are going to come from any more.

He has an end product either in terms of shot or cross that is way better than what we had / have. Stoke was a bad game all round but that game excepted he has been outstanding. he's been flying ever since the Arsenal game.

When this season is over, I think we'll look back and see that we have bought in 3 outstanding players: Stones, Sane and Jesus. That will be comparable to the Cook days and it's going to set us up again.

He's been flying but, sorry, he definitely does not have more end product than the others. He's got, what, 5 goals in the 4 months he's been flying? That's not significant end product. He's got fewer assists than Sterling in the same period who allegedly lacks it.

He's exciting, he's promising, but he's not got reliable end product.

Lpool 61
Chelsea 59
Arse 56
Spuds 55
City 54

Look at our front 5 and liverpools.

We shouldn't be hoping to be 7 behind them, we should be 20 ahead. That's how Guardiola controls games, as he discussed at length in the press conference.

It's a mentality issue (Damo has explained it in more detail) more than anything technical. Normally there isn't much time to get the shot away and our players are tending to snatch at chances or in rare occasions overthink.

Silva being THE worst culprit. I swear to god there must be 50 people on Bluemoon who can stick the ball in the back of the net better than he can. Genius everywhere on the pitch apart from when in front of goal and then he turns to shite. I mean look at that "effort" yesterday, where yet again he failed to even hit the target. The goal he scored Middlesborough was very nearly a fuck up as he shanked his shot from 6 yards and nearly passed it to Guzan. He's ridiculously inept.

Silva being THE worst culprit. I swear to god there must be 50 people on Bluemoon who can stick the ball in the back of the net better than he can. Genius everywhere on the pitch apart from when in front of goal and then he turns to shite. I mean look at that "effort" yesterday, where yet again he failed to even hit the target. The goal he scored Middlesborough was very nearly a fuck up as he shanked his shot from 6 yards and nearly passed it to Guzan. He's ridiculously inept.

Silva is similar to Iniesta in that both aren't prolific goalscorers but do tend occasionally chip in. What you should really look at is the chances they create and the importance they have in their respective sides (Iniesta less so as age is catching up on him).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.