Shooting outside the House of Commons

Belgian police have arrested a man who tried to drive at high speed into a crowd in Antwerp.

People were forced to "jump aside" as the speeding vehicle tried to drive into a pedestrianised shopping street.

More follows... Sky news

Haven't read the whole thread (or indeed any of it), but has it been suggested by anyone that the reporting of this incident is completely over the top?

Of course it's a terrible thing and my heart goes out to all those involved and their families. And as a terrorist incident in our capital, it's appropriate that it is headline news. Statement from the PM, minutes silence in the house of commons, statements from the acting chief constable etc, all perfectly appropriate.

But the coverage is incessant, and it's going on and on and on, with very little if any real news. Just repetitive re-hashing of what we know already and the same footage shown over and over and over again. On every channel.

To me, all this does is gives a big fat green light to any nutter who wants to do this again. The way we've bigged this up out of all proportion, just tells would be terrorists, "RESULT!" "Look how much disruption I can cause and how much coverage I can get by doing something like this".

At the end of the day, yes 4 people have died and some people seriously injured. But in the great scheme of things, this is perhaps no worse than your typical coach crash or motorway pile up. I think we need to be respectful yes, but dramatising this to the extent we have, is a daft thing to do, imho.

Haven't read the whole thread (or indeed any of it), but has it been suggested by anyone that the reporting of this incident is completely over the top?

Of course it's a terrible thing and my heart goes out to all those involved and their families. And as a terrorist incident in our capital, it's appropriate that it is headline news. Statement from the PM, minutes silence in the house of commons, statements from the acting chief constable etc, all perfectly appropriate.

But the coverage is incessant, and it's going on and on and on, with very little if any real news. Just repetitive re-hashing of what we know already and the same footage shown over and over and over again. On every channel.

To me, all this does is gives a big fat green light to any nutter who wants to do this again. The way we've bigged this up out of all proportion, just tells would be terrorists, "RESULT!" "Look how much disruption I can cause and how much coverage I can get by doing something like this".

At the end of the day, yes 4 people have died and some people seriously injured. But in the great scheme of things, this is perhaps no worse than your typical coach crash or motorway pile up. I think we need to be respectful yes, but dramatising this to the extent we have, is a daft thing to do, imho.

I don't think there is any other news. Most news comes from politics and that's all on standby at the moment.

Because it's a terrorist attack,it's what everyone fears the most and they don't need a green light to attack as they are essentially murders dressed up in a holy war cover

I don't think there is any other news. Most news comes from politics and that's all on standby at the moment.

In the house of commons, they're debating about compensation for Equitable Life policy holders at the moment. Hardly earth shattering, but the point is, politics continues as normal today. As do sporting events and everything else.

I think the coverage is over the top and not helpful.

Because it's a terrorist attack,it's what everyone fears the most and they don't need a green light to attack as they are essentially murders dressed up in a holy war cover

There's a million and one things these nutters could do though Karen and giving it the profile we are doing, can only act as encouragement.

And apart from anything else, the coverage is simply very very repetitive. We don't need to see the same interviews, the same clips, the same commentary, over and over again on every channel.

In the house of commons, they're debating about compensation for Equitable Life policy holders at the moment. Hardly earth shattering, but the point is, politics continues as normal today. As do sporting events and everything else.

I think the coverage is over the top and not helpful.

Agree. On Sky News yesterday Kay Burley was practically strumming herself everytime news of a serious injury or death came in, she was properly loving it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.