Shooting outside the House of Commons

The intellectuals need to stand up.. the cleverest (sadly) need to manipulate, coerce and navigate a better future for everyone. But it seems they have abdicated and left the dummies to run riot.

In situations like this the knee jerk response is "something must be seen to be done."

Which usually results in meaningless shit that often makes things worse.
I can see your point, although I think there's always a public perception problem to anti-terrorist work. We don't get to hear of changes made and different tactics implemented after such attacks. The very nature of intelligence work renders it impossible for the general public to be kept in the loop.

Here you go again claiming to know the unknown. You haven't the slightest bit of intelligence information to suggest a terrorist attack by a single individual hasn't been thwarted.

You get to know very little unless you're involved directly in National Anti Terrorism, and as I strongly doubt you are, I'm calling bullshit on that comment.
There are ways and means of detecting a single actor terrorist. All the stuff you do in the digital domain can be traced for a start. Even using TOR and other Dark Web applications, someone will be aware that you are using ways and means to disguise your internet use, and may choose to look deeper into your affairs. Extremist websites and Youtube content will be monitored, and it isn't necessarily difficult to find someone from their user name.

There is definitely an element of luck and chance involved in catching people, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that some have been collared and dealt with or neutralised.

I can see your point, although I think there's always a public perception problem to anti-terrorist work. We don't get to hear of changes made and different tactics implemented after such attacks. The very nature of intelligence work renders it impossible for the general public to be kept in the loop.

That is true.

In situations like this all sorts of groups, the intelligence services perhaps, the police, the right wing media, right wing politicians and hacks (stand up Farage and Hopkins) see an opportunity to push their agenda, it's all politics and noises off. There will be a great deal of heat but very little light.

We're in this for the long haul, there are no quick fixes.

this weeks incident was not by a lone person.

the only one i can think of where it was purely a lone attacker was the leytonstone attack.
He wasn't alone as you say, he was in communication with people 2 minutes before he started his rampage, he certainly wasn't ordering a takeaway

Here you go again claiming to know the unknown. You haven't the slightest bit of intelligence information to suggest a terrorist attack by a single individual hasn't been thwarted.

You get to know very little unless you're involved directly in National Anti Terrorism, and as I strongly doubt you are, I'm calling bullshit on that comment.
We do because they are tried in a public court.

Now tell me again how this sort of attack can be prevented by giving away further civil liberties to the security services. More people died on the motorways yesterday than in this attack. More people die falling down stairs on a monthly basis.

Our security services go a great job but just because one lunatic manages to run 20 people over does not necessarily mean that "something must be done (that isn't already being done)".

We do because they are tried in a public court.

Now tell me again how this sort of attack can be prevented by giving away further civil liberties to the security services. More people died on the motorways yesterday than in this attack. More people die falling down stairs on a monthly basis.

Our security services go a great job but just because one lunatic manages to run 20 people over does not necessarily mean that "something must be done (that isn't already being done)".
Four people were killed last year by an old man driving with poor eyesight who refused to wear his glasses after instruction from both his doctor and the police. Perhaps we should stop all belligerent people with glasses from going out?

He wasn't alone as you say, he was in communication with people 2 minutes before he started his rampage, he certainly wasn't ordering a takeaway
As far as I am aware, as at Sat am, the authorities are still trying to ascertain if he acted alone or not.

He could easily have been leaving a message to his family, or cancelling the milk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.