What if we struggle next season?

Yeah in fairness only a fool would think that this isn't going to see a huge improvement this year. I think mentality will be the reason Delph has a good shot of being implemented more next year, and why others are being given a goodbye come May. Pep is going to stack this team with people who just won't stop running and hustling and it's going to lead to the tempo necessary to play this way.

Spot on. Ultimately you either see where the journey is headed or you don't. A lot of the more dissatisfied customers so to speak seem incapable of seeing where Pep wants to take them, or seem to think that this season is some sort of proof that Pep's just another manager.

Our problem has been the year long holiday after each title win
Well we only had a 1 season holiday after the first, nobody else has retained it either. The only season I thought we should have been better was last season. This season I expected to be getting about 85 points which wouldn't probably win it against Chelsea anyway. We may be 5 or 6 off my expectations but I can see the progress and the reasons we are just off.

It's understandable really. The early Mancini era raised the expectations of the fans to impossible levels. Even Barcelona don't win as much as our fans expect us to win, and they've been a consistently dominating team domestically and Europe wide for decades.

Impossible levels? No. I think the majority of fans' expectations are in line with those of our owners. For the amount of money we've thrown at the problem we are underachieving.

Pep will give us 3 years of his time and I hope in years 2 and 3 we see some significant results (at least one PL title and a CL final). We should allow him the time to complete his experiments. If he doesn't deliver then I would hope that the owners will find a manager who is less idealistic and can instil a defensive mind-set, work rate and winning mentality to go with our financial clout. This would be an unbeatable combination.

There will be a positive if our season is just as bad , (champs league football and another visit to wembley what a disaster) maybe the tossers who post all the negative shite in the matchday and post match forums will f*ck off and take their glory hunting , plastic , remote control holding mates with them and leave our club to genuine supporters who do not think football was invented in 2012.
I don't buy in to that mate. I'm 27 and started properly following city the year we got relegated to division 2 and then saw us come back through the divisions. I am a level headed supporter but in my opinion the last 3 seasons including this year havn't been good enough. For the money we have spent and the players we have there should be high expectations and we are currently falling well short. I won't make a full judgement on pep at this stage because his reputation earns him the right to be given a fair crack of the whip. But from what I have seen there hasn't been a great deal of progress this year and if we are in the same position in 12 months then questions should be asked.

The key word for me is unremarkable. Bad? Nah. Certainly not calamitous. This thread's a bit like the one about how much we've won in the last five years and how it's not good enough. I can't help but wonder what exactly it is that people think is 'acceptable'. We've been relatively speaking, the most successful club since the 11/12 season. We're in a situation where we're heading into an FA Cup semi at Wembley as favourites to get to the final. It just feels like some people have an unrealistic view of what they want to see from the team. I'm not going to say that they expect to win every game, but certainly I get the feeling some think that we should be winning the title more or less every year. And, when we don't they seem to want to use the money we've spent on players as a stick to beat the team with.

At some point you need to get real. We won't win the title every year. We will have seasons like 13/14 and season like this one or the last one. Even if we continue to spend loads and buy the best players. That's life.

No. Nobody expects us to win the title every season. What the more critical fans expect is that we make a serious fcukin challenge every season and on several fronts. Dropping out as also-rans at the three-quarters mark is certainly not acceptable to me, specially when we lag behind relative paupers and journeymen (Leicester last year) and clubs who virtually break even in the transfer market (Spurs). Bear in mind too the rags' laughable escapades, Chelsea's implosion, the Dippers' inconsistency and Arsenal's flakiness, all of which offered tasty opportunities.

Say what you like, we've been force-fed cash like foie-gras geese and that raises expectations - in football and in business.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy watching City and love being a Blue. But under-achievers we are.

Last edited:
There will be a positive if our season is just as bad , (champs league football and another visit to wembley what a disaster) maybe the tossers who post all the negative shite in the matchday and post match forums will f*ck off and take their glory hunting , plastic , remote control holding mates with them and leave our club to genuine supporters who do not think football was invented in 2012.

Well said : )

I don't buy in to that mate. I'm 27 and started properly following city the year we got relegated to division 2 and then saw us come back through the divisions. I am a level headed supporter but in my opinion the last 3 seasons including this year havn't been good enough. For the money we have spent and the players we have there should be high expectations and we are currently falling well short. I won't make a full judgement on pep at this stage because his reputation earns him the right to be given a fair crack of the whip. But from what I have seen there hasn't been a great deal of progress this year and if we are in the same position in 12 months then questions should be asked.

I think part of the problem, and expectations, comes from the money we spent which makes us believe we have a team capable of competing yet in reality we have just spent huge sum on pretty average players.

Case in point being the 47.5 million spent on Stones, who could not get in Everton's side last year and performance level this year is way down in comparison to other centre halves.

We have a tendency to over hype our players and believe they are better than they are. There are not many people who would swap many Spurs players (fullbacks, keeper accepted) for our own players yet for the last two seasons they have outperformed our own.

I think part of the problem, and expectations, comes from the money we spent which makes us believe we have a team capable of competing yet in reality we have just spent huge sum on pretty average players.

Case in point being the 47.5 million spent on Stones, who could not get in Everton's side last year and performance level this year is way down in comparison to other centre halves.

We have a tendency to over hype our players and believe they are better than they are. There are not many people who would swap many Spurs players (fullbacks, keeper accepted) for our own players yet for the last two seasons they have outperformed our own.
To what extent? Last season City finished 4th in league position to Spurs 3rd and City won the league cup. How have they outperformed City the last 2 seasons?

Last edited:
To what extent? Last season City finished 4th in league position to Spurs 3rd and City won the league cup. How have they outperformed City the last 2 seasons?

You have answered your own question. They finished above us last year and currently on course to do so again spending a fraction of what we have done. The spending does not really bother me but I think it does give people a false expectation of how good the side is rather than reflects a poor recruitment policy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.