Southampton (A) Post Match Thread

think i said it at the time.....clichy did get a touch on it you are right......now i cant remember if he hits firming first or gets the ball first ....

its always going to be different when a keeper is involved as well

Clichy gets the ball first before contact and there is no difference if it's the keeper, same rules apply as Graham Poll confirmed at half time today it was a penalty despite the keeper getting the slightest of touches... what this shows is lots of people don't understand the rules... which is deliberate as far as I'm concerned, so the FA can justify different decisions, of the same incidents for different teams.....

I'm very excited for city...but what you are saying makes no sense in terms of TODAY'S game.

Quite simply, the game opened up because kompany scored from a set piece. Going down 0-1 like this forced the saints to come out of the gates. My point is that you cannot always depend on opening games up in such circumstances(city have never scored reliably from corners/set pieces except maybe direct free kicks from yaya), and the joy of winning 3-0 should not overshadow the glaring need to be realistic about city's big problems breaking defensive teams down from open play.

Good result, great day for kompany and the fans, but largely papering over some huge cracks from prior to the vinny goal.

On the positive note, given the defense looked more solid and some big games are coming up against more attacking teams, hopefully that means city will be afforded the space to hurt the likes of arsenal and the rags...Vinny needs to stay fit until the end of the season mind.

Oh just shut up you boring ****, you've repeated the same bullshit point about half a dozen times in this thread and however you try to hide it a goal is a goal. Whether it's a Vinny header or comes off Aguero's left testicle, who gives a shit.

Michael Ballack was reported to say that Sane would make a good Pep style left back. Well, if Navas can do it, Sane will do it in his sleep..food for thought

Meanwhile, I salute the comeback kid, our very own Captain Fantastic, Mr Vincent Kompany..

...and I was reported to say that MB (whom I respected as a player) is talking BS: Jesus, a fantastic winger at his prime, has his best days behind him. Pretty much one-dimentional in his game now, with a predictable dribbling routine et etc etc. But he epitomises professionalism, he is determined to fight for his place in the team -which shows on the pitch. I am happy for him and will have no problem if it proves out to be he still has a future with City as a squad player next season...

On the other hand, performing as a winger, Sane IS already a key player for City, even though he's nowhere close being a complete player yet. His impact is fantastic even though the odds were against such an early development, given his age and personality. Credit to Guardiola for his patience, treating him so carefully, being a father figure to him. But while already being extremely competent, we clearly haven't explored the whole variety of elements in his game. He needs to improve in certain areas, he definitely needs to mature mentally too -which will not be a linear process (it never is actually). He oftens loses concentration during matches which influences his sharpness, decision making, determination, tactical behaviour (forgetting to follow his wing back, for example, etc). You need a sense of responsibility as a left back, you need defensive discipline, defensive skills, positional awareness, being 100% alert and focused throughout 90', a fighting spirit and determination to win (at least not lose...) individual battles, and so on. There's no reason forcing a player to become something out of his nature. Leroy's potential as a forward (his position out wide being simply his initial tactical reference) seems unlimited, therefore we should keep supporting the boy, being patient, providing him all the information and advice needed so that he improves, gets better and better...

It only shows you once again that only a very small percentage of people playing the game actually have a decent understanding of its tactical realities. It doesn't matter how good they were / are, it's irrelevant. An even smaller percentage will become managers after retiring, and an even smaller one will actually succeed in that profession. A statistic that will never change due to the complexity of the game (which means "decent" punditry is a lost battle by the way...).

so why doesn't sane appeal then and why does he say it wasn't a penalty?

i couldn't care less as in my view it aint a penalty and neither is it in sane's view or they refs at the time.......people need to get over the ref stuff on here...mistakes are made ( id not think this was one) and thats what makes the game exciting as there is sometimes human error.

You don't know Sane would have still got the ball either...you presume

Even Zabaleta would have got the ball before it trickled out and he's slower than me these days so I think it's a safe bet to say Sane would have too.

any ref....... except the one on the pitch.... !!!!

thats all that maters....

People on here love to have the excuse of the ref...it happens even before a ball is kicked. its like a protection mechanism that kicks in even days before the game...people start "betting" on certain ref's giving dodgy decisions and saying its why we might lose/or not win. They do this cause its easier/nicer/safer to make an excuse and get that excuse in so they can then hark back to it and say "i told you so" instead of admitting at those times that the team just wasn't good enough on that one occasion (which some never can)....that is a hard thing to do for some and impossible for a few...

Of course wrong decisions can be made and are made but thats the beauty of the game....its still open to human error and its a small part of why its so exciting....

Like i also said in reply to someone else...the keeper gets a touch and because its a keeper it aint a foul (if an outfield player had done it it probably would have been a foul) but keepers get a different set of "rules" (unwritten) as well.

People just need to man up a bit on this subject and accept its part of the game.

Because it's a keeper it ain't a foul? Please do explain that to me because you clearly don't understand the rules of the game.

Just seen the penalty appeal for the first time. Super slow mo says correct decision but fuck me, I had to see about four different angles before I was convinced. Not sure how the ref spotted it in real time.

No doubt the keeper got a faint touch, but that doesn't mean it's not a pen. He impeded Sane getting to the ball after he touched it, which according to the rules means it's a penalty... if your bothered, try finding the BT half time analysis, where Graham Poll clearly explains why it is a penalty according to the current rules....

Jesus wept we now have hordes of fans now believing we weren't robbed of a penalty because of a non existent touch from Forster.

I guarantee you that 99 times out of a hundred a player who beats the goalkeeper to the ball and who is then subsequently brought down that a penalty would be awarded but not if your name is Manchester City. I have watched tens of replays and particularly one, side on, from the incident, and it is 'clear' he takes out Sane who would have gone on to slot the ball home.

Why would Sane not have stayed on his feet given the opportunity to? In fact I would go so far as to say it is probably one of the easiest penalty decisions to give when you contrast it with the Liverpool penalty given against us.

I am sick of seeing a replay from behind the keeper as you have no sense of distance or perspective so you freeze it at a particular point and it looks like the keeper is touching the ball when in reality he could be 1, 2, 3 or 4 feet from it!!

Yet again the massed hordes of City fans choose to believe the vested interests of the media. FFS open your eyes and make your own judgement!!

Last edited:
he may have chose not to give it cause he wasn't sure....and that is still the right decision.

he may have chosen not to give it cause Sane doesn't appeal......I like that a player of ours decided not to try and con the ref (as plenty of others do)

I wonder what people would have said if it was Ashley Young in the exact same position.....the outcry on here would have been defending (and he is someone who would have gone down there and appealed for it)

You, like the ref, are wrong: that should have been a penalty. The keeper does not make a save but he does bring Sane down. It's Sane that moves the ball; the keeper's merest of touches on the ball is inconsequential; his contact with Leroy is not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.