City's FA Youth Cup Final history

Mad Eyed Screamer

Thought I'd just come up with this as a reminder, or some info for those a little younger and not aware...
This is City's 9th FA Youth Cup final, with the score at 2 wins and 6 defeats.

1979 lost v Millwall 0-2
1980 lost v Villa 2-3
1986 won v Manchester United 3-1
1989 lost v Watford 1-2
2006 lost v Liverpool 2-3
2008 won v Chelsea 4-2
2015 lost v Chelsea 2-5
2016 Lost v Chelsea 2-4

City have yet to win the Cup when playing away in the 2nd leg (out of 5 attempts)
..and have only lost once (out of three attempts) when home in the 2nd leg. (Still not forgiven Pearce for leaving out Micah Richards for the 1st leg at Anfield on a Friday night, playing him in a meaningless end of season 0-0 draw at West Ham the next day. City lost 3-0 but a Richards inspired 2nd leg saw us win 2-0 and lord knows how we didn't score more.... I remain convinced, with Richards, we'd never have lost 3-0 away)

Players who went on to reach the 1st team up until the 2008 teams:
1979 - Alex Williams, Nicky Reid, Tommy Caton, Steve Kinsey, Clive Wilson (total 826 appearances)
1980 - Alex Williams, Andy May, Tommy Caton, Steve Mackenzie, Steve Kinsey, Clive Wilson (814 appearances)
1986 - Ian Brightwell, Andy Hinchcliffe, Steve Redmond, Ian Scott, Paul Lake, Paul Moulden, David White (1,397 appearances)
1989, Martyn Margetson, Neil Lennon, Gerry Taggart, Mike Quigley, Ian Thompstone, Ashley Ward, Michael Hughes, Mike Sheron (242 appearances)
2006 - Shaleum Logan, Sam Williamson, Micah Richards, Michael Johnson, Kelvin Etuhu, Daniel Sturridge, Ched Evens (340 appearances)
2008 - Ryan McGiven, Dedryck Boyata, Vladimir Weiss, Daniel Sturridge, Abdisalam, Ibrahim, Alex Nimely (53 appearances)

It is worth noting that for the first four finals there was only one sub allowed, five were on the bench for 2006 onwards.
Although the 1989 team had the highest number (eight) play in the 1st team, Neil Lennon and Ian Thompstone were both one hit wonders, and Ashley Ward (three) and both Quigley and Taggart below twenty games each, making their total score the second lowest of the 6 finalists.
Easily the 1986 team was the most ''capped'' team.

Ian Brightwell is the player who featured the most in the 1st team - totaling 382 games. Next is David White (342), Steve Redmond (287) and then Nicky Reid (262)

Here's hoping a third Youth Cup victory is upon us and a first won away from home!

17457590_712830762235310_2227967322976280386_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely put together (except for a couple of typos ;) ).

Did Steve Mackenzie actually play in the final, I always remembered him going straight into the 1st team.

"2006 lost v Liverpool 2" should be 3-2
"2016 - Shaleum Logan, " 2016?
"2018 - Ryan McGiven, " 2018?

Did Steve Mackenzie actually play in the final, I always remembered him going straight into the 1st team.

he obs meant 2006 and 2008

Thanks! Typos changed.
Was typing at work in between staff bothering me with work related stuff!

Yes MacKenzie and Caton played in the 1980 final despite both being first teamers. I do seem to recall neither played in previous rounds - just the finals and will check that when I get a couple of minutes

According to the excellent book 'Teenage Kicks' and Wikipedia, this was the line up for Villa in 1980
1 GK Alex Williams
2 DF Andy May
3 DF Dick Cunningham
4 DF Gary Bennett
5 DF Tommy Caton
6 MF Ross McGinn
7 MF Keith Parkinson
8 MF Steve MacKenzie
9 MF Gary Bees
10 FW Steve Kinsey
11 FW Clive Wilson

Interestingly, for the 80/81 season, City got to the semi final and Tommy Caton was put into the team for the 1st leg away at Upton Park 24th March (at the expense of Geoff Lomax, who had played in all of the other games, partnering Andy May) and we lost 5-0! He didn't play in the 2nd leg, which we also lost! Caton played in both 1st team games before and after that Youth Cup semi final.

Then on 13th April, Caton played in the Lancashire Youth Cup final (again having not played in the three previous games / rounds) and the Blues lost 2-0 to Manchester United at Maine Road. This game was TWO days after Caton played for the 1st team at Villa Park for the FA Cup semi final against Ipswich! He again lined up for the 1st team 5 days later against Wolves.

In a similar way Steve Redmond played the following games switching 1st team duties with Youth Cup duties in 1986:
12th April - Ipswich (1st Div)
16th - Arsenal (Youth Cup semi final)
19th - Nottingham Forest (1st Div)
22nd - Arsenal (Youth Cup semi final including extra time and penalties)
24th - Manchester United (Youth Cup final)
26th - Newcastle (1st Div)
29th - Manchester United (Youth Cup final)

Last edited:
At the launch of the book 'Teenage Kicks', Bernard Halford was present and the question about the attendance was asked..... he admitted there was 28,000 there.....
Doesnt suprise me took ages to get in plus in them days the match day figures were usualy made up .

I was really disappointed by the Watford game, can't remember why but felt deverstated walking out of the main stand.

Anyway, hopefully this one is ours, we're better than Chelsea and rather than play at the main ground are on a pitch they all know very well.

Come on City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.