Southampton (A) Post Match Thread

I forgot to mention the idiotic comments by Hoddle and Wright regarding Raheem.

They both claimed he's lost form due to being dropped by Pep.

Neither of them could have watched last week's game against Hull, when the lad was brilliant.

Ignorant, uninformed wankers!

Has someone really questioned Navas's heart & commitment? Totally unfair. Complete team player & a model professional.

Question his ability but not his heart.

As for sending his family back to Seville that's not true...They never really came in the first place. He had a house at the top end of Bowden but gave that up to Bony 2 years ago and had a flat more or less next door.

His lovely wife never spent much time in Manchester from day 1, she wanted to be close to her family in Seville with their baby son (also Jesus).

She would visit on average one long weekend per month.
Jesus would fly back at every opportunity if they played say on a Saturday & were given the Monday off.

I'd say he has given us value for money but yes end product definitely questionable not his heart.

Take Silva out of the Southampton game and not 1 of the 3 goals gets scored.
He will be remembered most though in that game for his miss at the back post.

Take Silva out of the Southampton game and not 1 of the 3 goals gets scored.
He will be remembered most though in that game for his miss at the back post.
Not by me.

Remembered for the magnificent one-touch pass that put Kev clean through for the Sane goal.

I expect him to miss those easy ones by now, lol, used to it. ;-)

I forgot to mention the idiotic comments by Hoddle and Wright regarding Raheem.

They both claimed he's lost form due to being dropped by Pep.

Neither of them could have watched last week's game against Hull, when the lad was brilliant.

Ignorant, uninformed wankers!
When you talk about idiotic comments, from Hoddle in particular, there are usually so many that people must just let most of them wash over them. He's particularly well thought of by Danny Baker and here are are some rants about him. Most are DB's but not all, as the loathing of things Hoddle is by no means a small, exclusive club!!

Shut up Glenn Hoddle, you empty TV cash gobbling vacuum. Just shut the fuck up. You are making this worse.
Oh we are getting Glenn Hoddle's reaction now. Next up the reaction of a paving stone in Blackpool."
Glenn Hoddle's useless interjections are delivered like he's explaining the plot of a spy film to his nan and not wanting to disturb anyone.
What did you have to do in a previous life to come back as a boring prick like you?
If you wonder why I loathe Hoddle so its because I am in no doubt his jealousy is resposnsible for Paul Gascoigne’s demise.
If you had to do a shot every time Glenn Hoddle said something insightful you could drive home tonight with a completely clear conscience. alternatively, if you had to do one every time Hoddle said "for me", you'd be absolutely hammered.
Then again, if you drank every time he mixed up them and those, you'd be as drunk as a sack

Really appreciating that the player's are having a better understanding of Pep's ideas, and Pep himself changing tweaking the formation a little bit for more defensive balance when playing out from the back.

Pep opted to go 4-2-3-1, as opposed to 4-1-4-1, what this did is recognized a distinct 6-defenders behind 4-attackers when playing out from the back versus 5-defenders behind 5-attackers.

When we played 4-1-4-1 and we play out from the back, often the holding mid would drop (the CBs would go wide) and the fullbacks tucked. This created a 3-2-4-1, from which the two fullbacks were tasked with receiving the ball from the CBs. The problem with this is that high-energy press teams have gotten really good, and if a team like Liverpool nicked the ball while playing out from the back, the spaces left open were easy for them to exploit. The other option was the team would play out as a 2-3-4-1 like Barcelona, but this was also not successful for the same reason.

4-2-3-1 allowed City to play out as a 3-3-3-1, wherein in this game for example, Clichy could drop as a LB/LCB and join Kompany and Otamendi, leaving Toure, Dinho and Navas in the middle. This was much more stable, because if Southampton nicked the ball the 3-3 formation had no gaps to exploit immediately. Another way this formation arose was instead of Clichy dropping back (Navas never dropped back btw due to his pace), Fernandinho could drop back into RB/RCB leaving Clichy, Toure and Navas in the middle. This flexibility in playing out was very useful and often confused Southampton's markers when pressuring City (especially in the 2nd half) because Clichy and Dinho would rotated as CBs.

Lastly, this also made Kevin far more useful as a wide-playmaker in the RM position. In the 3-2-4-1 Pep tried to play Kevin out wide, but the weakness in the wings (as in there was no wing) meant we required fast wingers like Sane and Sterling. In the 3-3-3-1 Kevin's lack of pace was not as much of an issue as he had plenty of defensive cover if he messed up.

Now clearly you can rotate between 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-4-1 very easily (with a shift in the midfield triangle) and for times City did this as well, but I was amazed how well the player's were adapting to the system, defensively we were very good in this more stable set up, and had a few players been more consistent, we could have won 5 or 6 nil.

The main thing to take from this game is that Vinny came away from it uninjured. Now rap him up in cotton wool and leave him for the derby against the rags. However I might name him among the subs for the semi-final.

The only down point from this game is the amount of shots that we had that did not trouble their keeper. Which considering our front 4/5 is shocking. What is Pep doing don't they have shooting practice or not. With a few more shots on target we could have had this game won by half time, instead of waiting till the 2nd half to win the game.

Apart from this it was a good all round performance by the boys.

The main thing to take from this game is that Vinny came away from it uninjured. Now rap him up in cotton wool and leave him for the derby against the rags. However I might name him among the subs for the semi-final.

The only down point from this game is the amount of shots that we had that did not trouble their keeper. Which considering our front 4/5 is shocking. What is Pep doing don't they have shooting practice or not. With a few more shots on target we could have had this game won by half time, instead of waiting till the 2nd half to win the game.

Apart from this it was a good all round performance by the boys.

If you watch the training videos on the OS, you will see plenty of shooting practice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.