North Korea. A possible solution.

ColinBellsjockstrap

Just thinking aloud here
scratchchin.gif

Things obviously can't keep going on like they are, maybe not this year but very soon there is almost certainly going to be a flashpoint and things are going to kick off big style with potential for hundreds of thousands, if not millions of deaths, especially in SK....

So:-

Why doesn't Mr Kim and Donald Trump have a high level face to face meeting in a neutral country......America agrees to pull troops completely out of South Korea, and leave NK to mind their own business.

In exchange NK agrees to verifiably abandon their nuclear weapon programme, with inspectors etc...(They would still have a formidable conventional army and weapons for defence)

Or is this too simplistic?

Better to jaw jaw than war war as they say.

Yes, I do know the history and background behind the 1953 Korean war.

From North Korea's point of view, I suppose they could quite fairly say Why should YOU have them when we can't?

Thoughts?

Until the USA, Russia and China get together and reach a compromise that is good for their people and the world, nothing will happen. Sadly the world is so dependant on the petrodollar and the military industrial complex there is too much tied up in making bogey men. This brinkmanship stuff trump is playing sure makes him look great at home and yes in real estate deals I'm sure spending a month or two looking like an ogre before apparently relenting and offering a deal works well as a tactic but when you're dealing with equally shallow leaders who need good press in their own countries I'm sure it will eventually back fire. Makes me wonder if yesterdays missile fail was a face saving gentlemens agreement.

Just thinking aloud here
scratchchin.gif

Things obviously can't keep going on like they are, maybe not this year but very soon there is almost certainly going to be a flashpoint and things are going to kick off big style with potential for hundreds of thousands, if not millions of deaths, especially in SK....

So:-

Why doesn't Mr Kim and Donald Trump have a high level face to face meeting in a neutral country......America agrees to pull troops completely out of South Korea, and leave NK to mind their own business.

In exchange NK agrees to verifiably abandon their nuclear weapon programme, with inspectors etc...(They would still have a formidable conventional army and weapons for defence)

Or is this too simplistic?

Better to jaw jaw than war war as they say.

Yes, I do know the history and background behind the 1953 Korean war.

From North Korea's point of view, I suppose they could quite fairly say Why should YOU have them when we can't?

Thoughts?
Kim Jong-UN will never leave NK, he has never been out of the country since he became head honcho, if he did there is a good chance he will face a coup

Western world should pressurise China to sort them out
China is reluctant as it sees NK as a buffer state between it and US dominated South Korea. One possible solution is to agree with China to topple the Kim regime, re-unite the two countries and then largely demilitarise the peninsula.

Whether that could happen though depends on China, which intervened militarily in the Korean War to defend NK and probably would be wary about the prospect of an economically powerful democracy on its southern border.

China is reluctant as it sees NK as a buffer state between it and US dominated South Korea. One possible solution is to agree with China to topple the Kim regime, re-unite the two countries and then largely demilitarise the peninsula.

Whether that could happen though depends on China, which intervened militarily in the Korean War to defend NK and probably would be wary about the prospect of an economically powerful democracy on its southern border.
Would it be socially and politically possible to reunite the two Koreas? Historically afaik they've only ever been a unified country under Japanese imperial rule.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.