blood tests

There are a number of different tests you can do for diabetes, and a number of different blood tests.

If you were made to fast (i.e. told not to eat/drink anything overnight/in the morning) then that sample is more accurate than a non-fasted sample (random sample); so a normal result is good news. If you didn't have to fast, a normal result is of course still good news, but the result is slightly less accurate.

If you had 3 samples taken (3 vials) then you may well have had a second diabetes test done in a separate vial which shows how your blood sugar has been over a longer period (~3 months), so again a normal result would be good news.

As for pee samples they seem to be more done for monitoring how people who've been diagnosed with diabetes are getting on with their control, rather than for newly diagnosing people. At least as far as my experience has been with it so far.

Here's a good site with some information that is likely better at explaining it all than me:
https://patient.info/health/tests-for-blood-sugar-glucose-and-hba1c

There are a number of different tests you can do for diabetes, and a number of different blood tests.

If you were made to fast (i.e. told not to eat/drink anything overnight/in the morning) then that sample is more accurate than a non-fasted sample (random sample); so a normal result is good news. If you didn't have to fast, a normal result is of course still good news, but the result is slightly less accurate.

If you had 3 samples taken (3 vials) then you may well have had a second diabetes test done in a separate vial which shows how your blood sugar has been over a longer period (~3 months), so again a normal result would be good news.

As for pee samples they seem to be more done for monitoring how people who've been diagnosed with diabetes are getting on with their control, rather than for newly diagnosing people. At least as far as my experience has been with it so far.

Here's a good site with some information that is likely better at explaining it all than me:

many thanks BM

I donate platelets and occasionally they can't accept the donation if anything is amiss. The told me to get full bloods done because my white cell count was just out of tolerance.
I booked an appointment and asked if I needed to fast for this, the receptionist said we no longer do fasting bloodtest. Dunno if she is correct or not or if fasting test are specific for conditions these days. Maybe new advances in the tests

I donate platelets and occasionally they can't accept the donation if anything is amiss. The told me to get full bloods done because my white cell count was just out of tolerance.
I booked an appointment and asked if I needed to fast for this, the receptionist said we no longer do fasting bloodtest. Dunno if she is correct or not or if fasting test are specific for conditions these days. Maybe new advances in the tests
Yes, fasting tests are for certain conditions, with diabetes being one :-). A full blood count wouldn't require fasting as you say. Good job on donating, I should really sign up too.

Yes, fasting tests are for certain conditions, with diabetes being one :-). A full blood count wouldn't require fasting as you say. Good job on donating, I should really sign up too.
I think they did the lot bud,between (3-5 vials) as i got a bollocking on cholesterol and iron but i could be mistaken on the insulin business, it makes sense uneaten test, just how she said we don't do them at all now.

They love me at the donation centre. normal bloods take me 8 mins a bag :) and big veins that don't explode on the pump back :).....but i can't do bloods and platelets so platelets take about 1/2 hr ..... get signed up ya big wuss ;)

HbA1c is gold standard now and doesn't need fasting.

I think they did the lot bud,between (3-5 vials) as i got a bollocking on cholesterol and iron but i could be mistaken on the insulin business, it makes sense uneaten test, just how she said we don't do them at all now.

They love me at the donation centre. normal bloods take me 8 mins a bag :) and big veins that don't explode on the pump back :).....but i can't do bloods and platelets so platelets take about 1/2 hr ..... get signed up ya big wuss ;)
Yeah there are multiple ways to do a lot of these tests so wouldn't surprise me if practices were adopting to avoid fasting bloods.

Sounds ideal, I have great veins for taking blood from too so haven't really got any excuse in that department - my girlfriends already signed up but she's too light so they won't even let her, I'll be sure to get in on it after July!
HbA1c is gold standard now and doesn't need fasting.
Indeed it doesn't, and whilst your right on it being gold standard there are still patient groups whom HbA1c isn't appropriate for diagnosing diabetes who'll have blood glucose levels measured instead. I was just covering the main few tests that could be done :-)

Indeed it doesn't, and whilst your right on it being gold standard there are still patient groups whom HbA1c isn't appropriate for diagnosing diabetes who'll have blood glucose levels measured instead. I was just covering the main few tests that could be done :-)

You're right!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.