Budget PAYG Phone Dilemma.

I was in the market for a phone with a sim only package and bought a HTC M8 from there after reading a thread which contained the above quote
Everything was as promised

Glad you got sorted. The S6 went to phone heaven not long after I posted that. Girlfriends son smashed it the little bastard.

The economics simply do not stack up and there is no such thing as a free lunch.
Brand loyalty for brand loyalties sake.
Therefore quality and consistency of product must always be evaluated.
I shall not stir from 3 network as their consistency has been fluid throughout my ten-year tenure.
I am not here to chat mobile phone companies but more the aparatus an end user feeds off.
The Mobile or Cell itself that influences everything we do in our daily lives.
From maintaining social media status and basic messaging to surfing the silver highway at full throtle.
It's also a television satalite navigation system and camera and camcorder.
The list remains endless and is only restricted by an over active imagination and a few Play Store apps.

I am in the market for a new device Right Now ! but in the budget sector up to £175.
I have no penchant for a nice new mobile contract tying me in for 2 years for a free phone that is not really free.
I have just aquired a new sim only deal for £9 a month for all you can eat calls and all you can eat texts and four meg of data.

I have for the time being narrowed the selection down to a Moto 4G or a Moto 4G plus.

14u9maq.jpg

Not the smaller 5 inch 4G play version that does not sport gorilla glass or the improved octa-core processer.
It looks to be a lot of wonga for the money the 4G and the cheapest supplier I can find has it on offer for and incredible £129.00.The plus is another £50 but has a better camera.Horses for courses I guess.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/moto...ce=Ldadwords&gclid=CNycy_C6s9MCFQ0R0wodVwwI8w

What other phones in the budget bracket can experianced Moon people recomend.
It has to have a reasonable processer and be in excess of 5 inch and android is a bonus for ease of use.
Eyes are failing so the bigger the screen the better.
A friend of a friend said the honour 6X is ok.

2irb0cj.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_6x-pictures-8388.php

The budget lineup is difficult to evaluate with so many players but the technologie available in 2017 certainly offers the end user bangs for bucks.

The Moto 5 lineup does not seem to add much to the 4G lineup except for slightly better camera and a fingerprint security feature.
The 5 does not fit the bill as it came in at only 5 inch and 5.2 respectively.
I need to feel a Moto in the palm of my hand in real life so may have to visit a retailer.
The Lenovas look particlarly good too and appear serious value.

I have heard of a slight bug in the ointment with the 4G in relation to volume with message alerts.
For some reason the volume is reduced for alerts only.Maybe isolated or maybe not.
Maybe fixed with firmware or an update.

It does look quite asethtically pleasing I have to say and for £129 does not break the bank.
Choices choices but as the saying goes purchase in haste repent at leisure ..

Post office in radcliffe selling samsungs for £110 and up.

Post office in radcliffe selling samsungs for £110 and up.

I already pounced but thank you for the heads up.
Is it wrong to say I wept when I opened the box from the postman ?
I have a Note 3 that has given four years active service through cannon fire and Rick O'shea and never once has it let me down or strayed from my side.A tremendous phone that cost the earth on a contract jobbie.

The two phones side by side look resplendent and the old note with a polish and a buff can still turn heads !
If I put them both in hand I would say the note wins on aesthetics but the note was probably around the £600 mark non contract.

This cheeky Moto cost pennies and still turns heads and since acquiring it we have both doubled our circle of friends !!
It actually feels quality and has all the credentials to boot:

Note 3 still probably comes out on top with better battery and three meg ram but for absolute pennies the Moto will make you grin:
Main bits .. Qualcomm MSM8952 Snapdragon 617
CPU Octa-core (4x1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 & 4x1.2 GHz Cortex-A53)
Camera 13 MP, f/2.0, autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash
Non-removable Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery
It's fast its got Gorilla glass and it's Bigga ..
Whats not to like !

Combine it with Threes inclusive minutes inclusive texts and 4 gig of data package for £9 and Bobs your uncle Fred's your father.

bi10gi.jpg

2eqgyg8.jpg

Disclaimer:
Whilst every endevour has been made to furnish the correct information and specifications this particular end user has merely expressed an opinion of the market as he sees it.The Moon requests that you kindly Do Your Own Research.
Please continue with your evenings enjoyment.That is all:

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally i'd steer clear of the Huawei's for now unless your planning on rooting and putting cyanogenmod on it as the OS layer they add sucks ( only tried the honor 7 mind you )

Moto G5 gets my vote,
  • 5-inch 1080p display
  • 1.4 GHz octa-core processor
  • 2GB RAM
  • 16GB storage ( expandable to 128gig )
  • 2800 mAh battery
  • 13MP camera
  • Android 7
  • Manufacturer: Motorola
  • Review Price: £169.00
I've got the Honor 8 and now it's running Android 7 Nougat it's a different beast, fantastic phone and looks gorgeous, you can pick up a second hand unit for about £200.

I already pounced but thank you for the heads up.
Is it wrong to say I wept when I opened the box from the postman ?
I have a Note 3 that has given four years active service through cannon fire and Rick O'shea and never once has it let me down or strayed from my side.A tremendous phone that cost the earth on a contract jobbie.

The two phones side by side look resplendent and the old note with a polish and a buff can still turn heads !
If I put them both in hand I would say the note wins on aesthetics but the note was probably around the £600 mark non contract.

This cheeky Moto cost pennies and still turns heads and since acquiring it we have both doubled our circle of friends !!
It actually feels quality and has all the credentials to boot:

Note 3 still probably comes out on top with better battery and three meg ram but for absolute pennies the Moto will make you grin:
Main bits .. Qualcomm MSM8952 Snapdragon 617
CPU Octa-core (4x1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 & 4x1.2 GHz Cortex-A53)
Camera 13 MP, f/2.0, autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash
Non-removable Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery

It's fast its got Gorilla glass and it's Bigga ..
Whats not to like !

Buy it with a Three inclusive minutes all inclusive texts and 4 gig of data package for nine pounds and Bobs your uncle Fred's your father.

2eqgyg8.jpg

eqdmdd.jpg

2eqgyg8.jpg

Disclaimer:
Whilst every endevour has been made to furnish the correct information and specifications this particular end user has merely expressed an opinion of the market as he sees it.The Moon requests that you kindly Do Your Own Research.
Please continue with your evenings enjoyment.That is all:

Excellent.

Nothing else I can add to the fray.
If your in the market for a good budget then your spoilt for choice.
Huawawi Honor Lenovo Wileyfox Moto and many other fine pieces all vying to take centre stage.
Good luck with your choice.

Nothing else I can add to the fray.
If your in the market for a good budget then your spoilt for choice.
Huawawi Honor Lenovo Wileyfox Moto and many other fine pieces all vying to take centre stage.
Good luck with your choice.
I succumbed to buying the Moto G5 Taxi.
Probably let my youngest have my almost new LG K10, or keep it as a spare. So far so good. Although one slight quibble as suspected is the battery, could of been of higher power, but that said it does come with a a rapid charger.

Bought it for £160, and for that kind of money, it's no wonder why it comes top in this price bracket. Great phone and a bargain

I can't justify paying hundreds of pounds for the latest offerings from either Apple or Samsung, way overpriced IMO.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.