Women's team - Clinch Champions League spot with 3-0 win over Everton

Missed the first 20 mins but a very nice pass from Duggan and goal for Asslani. Unfortunately we seemed to have a pretty bad game against good opposition. Still hope we can turn it around in the 2nd leg.

Thought Lyon made us look naive. They hit the turf st the slightest contact and milked the ref constantly. Penalty was handball but it was harsh fired at Lloyd from a few yards - zero intent. I like the women's game because of its honesty in England but watching Lyon it'll not be that way for long.

Maybe cos the domestic season hasn't started yet, but our lasses are conceding far too much space to Lyon.

Far too much respect going on.

For the whole of the ninety minutes we allowed them to gather the ball, turn, look at as many options as they needed and then chased. We struggled to put three or four passes together. I thought it would be a game too far. Lyon are the current champions and there was a different level that, apart from our equaliser, which was a well-worked goal, we never really got to match much of what Lyon did.

The pen in the first minute was a clear disaster. The ref must have been the only person in the western hemisphere who thought it was. Not a single half-hearted appeal from any Lyon player. Cross was hit and cannoned into our player who was a very very short distance away. There was a more blatant handball on about 57mins by a Lyon player that she ignored.

The ref was not upto the job. She gave a corner to us in the second half and was harangued by a handful of the Lyon defenders. It was clearly a goal kick, and before the corner reached the penalty box she had blown for one of those fictitious fouls that is meant to right an original wrong.

Despite the scoreline I should imagine all those City women who played would have relished the game.

I thought Cushing was a little late in getting a few subs on. When Izzy and Georgie came on it injected a little more urgency and buzz into our efforts, and we then hit the bottom of the post.

It was a very challenging learning curve for the ladies but I am sure those are the games in which they want to be involved.

For the whole of the ninety minutes we allowed them to gather the ball, turn, look at as many options as they needed and then chased. We struggled to put three or four passes together. I thought it would be a game too far. Lyon are the current champions and there was a different level that, apart from our equaliser, which was a well-worked goal, we never really got to match much of what Lyon did.

The pen in the first minute was a clear disaster. The ref must have been the only person in the western hemisphere who thought it was. Not a single half-hearted appeal from any Lyon player. Cross was hit and cannoned into our player who was a very very short distance away. There was a more blatant handball on about 57mins by a Lyon player that she ignored.

The ref was not upto the job. She gave a corner to us in the second half and was harangued by a handful of the Lyon defenders. It was clearly a goal kick, and before the corner reached the penalty box she had blown for one of those fictitious fouls that is meant to right an original wrong.

Despite the scoreline I should imagine all those City women who played would have relished the game.

I thought Cushing was a little late in getting a few subs on. When Izzy and Georgie came on it injected a little more urgency and buzz into our efforts, and we then hit the bottom of the post.

It was a very challenging learning curve for the ladies but I am sure those are the games in which they want to be involved.

Agree with so much of that. The ref was one of those fussy ones who gives fouls just because a player went down half the time. Overall we were pretty well outclassed which might sound a bit harsh but that's the way it felt to me. Part of that was because we seemd to be in too much of a hurry at times to try a pass forward which was more in hope than anything and even if it found a City player the control wasn't good enough to retain possession. Most of the time Lyon played it around while we chased shadows but when they needed to they could play longer and still retain possession.

Nick Cushing will have learned tons from that. Some maybe about a different team selection, but also about individuals who are ok for the english league but not really top top level players. So often i have watched this team and the way we have controlled games, including in the champs league so far but this was a real step up in quality. Also I would usually have difficulty in picking a MotM as there would be so many to choose from who had played well but today I struggle to think of any player who stood out as having a good game.

Agree with so much of that. The ref was one of those fussy ones who gives fouls just because a player went down half the time. Overall we were pretty well outclassed which might sound a bit harsh but that's the way it felt to me. Part of that was because we seemd to be in too much of a hurry at times to try a pass forward which was more in hope than anything and even if it found a City player the control wasn't good enough to retain possession. Most of the time Lyon played it around while we chased shadows but when they needed to they could play longer and still retain possession.

Nick Cushing will have learned tons from that. Some maybe about a different team selection, but also about individuals who are ok for the english league but not really top top level players. So often i have watched this team and the way we have controlled games, including in the champs league so far but this was a real step up in quality. Also I would usually have difficulty in picking a MotM as there would be so many to choose from who had played well but today I struggle to think of any player who stood out as having a good game.

I agree.

I was there yesterday and Lyon were a class apart, and no wonder really when you consider they have won the Champions League 3 times already this decade and have 5 FIFPro world XI players in their side. 3 of which are the FIFPro XI front three in Alex Morgan, Le Sommer and Hegerberg.

I was listening on the radio before and this game got brought up, apparently Lyon are the Real Madrid of the women's game.

Anyway, good test for our lot and onwards and upwards. We are still the new kids on the block so still a long way to go yet.

I think the club will recognise now that if they want to compete at this level then like the men's side they are going to have to look for the very elite now to make that progression.

One last note. First time seeing the ladies in person yesterday and must admit the setup is great. Atmosphere was top.

I agree.

I was there yesterday and Lyon were a class apart, and no wonder really when you consider they have won the Champions League 3 times already this decade and have 5 FIFPro world XI players in their side. 3 of which are the FIFPro XI front three in Alex Morgan, Le Sommer and Hegerberg.

I was listening on the radio before and this game got brought up, apparently Lyon are the Real Madrid of the women's game.

Anyway, good test for our lot and onwards and upwards. We are still the new kids on the block so still a long way to go yet.

I think the club will recognise now that if they want to compete at this level then like the men's side they are going to have to look for the very elite now to make that progression.

One last note. First time seeing the ladies in person yesterday and must admit the setup is great. Atmosphere was top.

Plus Seger,Petit and Thomis as unused subs. I jokingly suggested a couple of years ago that we should make a cheeky bid for Louisa Necib and someone posted that there was a wage limit and city were already at this. Does this still apply? and if so are Lyon , PSG and the big german ladies clubs under the same limits? If they are not it will be very difficult for English clubs limited to 3 or 4 big players to compete with Lyon with 11 big name players and four or five more on their bench.

Plus Seger,Petit and Thomis as unused subs. I jokingly suggested a couple of years ago that we should make a cheeky bid for Louisa Necib and someone posted that there was a wage limit and city were already at this. Does this still apply? and if so are Lyon , PSG and the big german ladies clubs under the same limits? If they are not it will be very difficult for English clubs limited to 3 or 4 big players to compete with Lyon with 11 big name players and four or five more on their bench.

Wage cap, really?

If there is a wage cap then women's football in England will just stagnate unless England has a golden generation women's team.

Apparently from what I have read, 50k a year is what the top earners are on in this country.

Alex Morgan for example - going off Google search here - is on $450,000 USD.

Wage cap, really?

If there is a wage cap then women's football in England will just stagnate unless England has a golden generation women's team.

Apparently from what I have read, 50k a year is what the top earners are on in this country.

Alex Morgan for example - going off Google search here - is on $450,000 USD.

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/t...d-continental-cup-winners-2016.299987/page-35

found it

"Not much point. Under WSL rules, only four players per team can be paid more than £20,000/year. MCWFC have just signed a number of high-profile players; they'd have to get rid of one of them straight away or terminate the contract of one of last year's best players just to get her within the wage rules. "

This is the post I was asking about and if anyone knows if this still applies.

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/t...d-continental-cup-winners-2016.299987/page-35

found it

"Not much point. Under WSL rules, only four players per team can be paid more than £20,000/year. MCWFC have just signed a number of high-profile players; they'd have to get rid of one of them straight away or terminate the contract of one of last year's best players just to get her within the wage rules. "

This is the post I was asking about and if anyone knows if this still applies.

Stupid rule if true.

How can you build a top side doing that?

So effectively you could sign Alex Morgan and put her on £1m a year yet have lets say a fullback on 20k a year.

Madness.

If I was City I would be looking at going all out for one of the Lyon from 3.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.