Holiday to Japan.

Tokyo metro map looks like a plate of spaghetti at first but soon became understandable after a day or two

Absolutely love Tokyo and Yokohama , not been to Kyoto but will next visit by bullet train

Have you been to Asakusa in Tokyo?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3004.html

I've never been there, didn't get to visit much of Tokyo last year, I didn't really prepare for how much time you can waste just walking around each district really! I was located 25 minutes outside Ikebukuro as well, so by the time i got to the other side of Ikebukuro about 1hr 30 mins had already passed.... it was quite overwhelming at first.

I'm staying in Ueno this year so it's an ideal location really as I'm pretty much surrounded by everything then.

Last edited:
I've never been there, didn't get to visit much of Tokyo last year, I didn't really prepare for how much tine you can waste just walking around each district really! I was located 25 minutes outside Ikebukuro as well, so by the time i got to the other side of Ikebukuro about 1hr 30 mins had already passed.... it was quite overwhelming at first.

In staying in Ueno this year so it's an ideal location really as I'm pretty much surrounded by everything then.
Ueno is brilliant
Nice park millions of shops
You can walk to Ginza where they close streets of at weekend for markets and fantastic eateries

Went there a few months ago for a 3 hour meeting................. I have to go back at some point as I just couldn't take in Tokyo in the day I was there

Tokyo has really good overground trains too. I spent a whole day last year jumping on and off the circular Yanamote line which has stops in all the major districts including Akihabara, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Shibuya etc. A day ticket only costs about a fiver! Less up and down stairs compared to the metro. In Kyoto, Kinkukuji (golden temple) is a must see as is Nijo Castle. Make sure you climb the hill and visit the monkey park if you go to Arashiyama. I took the Shinkansen between Tokyo-Nagoya and Nagoya-Kyoto a couple of times and was expensive but totally worth it. Hope you like humid heat, it's going to be hot that time of year!

Ueno is brilliant
Nice park millions of shops
You can walk to Ginza where they close streets of at weekend for markets and fantastic eateries

Yeah my apartment is practically opposite Ueno Zoo and the surrounding area just seems to be Parks and museums which is handy!

Went there a few months ago for a 3 hour meeting................. I have to go back at some point as I just couldn't take in Tokyo in the day I was there

I went for 7 days last year and still didn't find the time to do a large majority of things! The amount of stuff you find doing takes up so much time, and you just get sidetracked very easily.

Tokyo has really good overground trains too. I spent a whole day last year jumping on and off the circular Yanamote line which has stops in all the major districts including Akihabara, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Shibuya etc. A day ticket only costs about a fiver! Less up and down stairs compared to the metro. In Kyoto, Kinkukuji (golden temple) is a must see as is Nijo Castle. Make sure you climb the hill and visit the monkey park if you go to Arashiyama. I took the Shinkansen between Tokyo-Nagoya and Nagoya-Kyoto a couple of times and was expensive but totally worth it. Hope you like humid heat, it's going to be hot that time of year!

The Yanamote line was pretty much my favourite when I last went, like you said the major districts fall on that line and with the JR pass you can go back and fourth as much as possible for free. I've heard about the monkey park but never knew it was in Kyoto, I'll make sure to check that out cheers! I've only been to Japan in March time and it was about 18°C cloudy, a couple of days it rained for about 3 hours and one day it was about 22°C.... I've heard in June it's the monsoon period so weather can go from 25-30°C and even when it rains it's really humid! Good job there's a vending machine pretty much every 80 yards.

Japan is the best country I have been to, amazing culture and amazing people.

"I've already got Mt. Fuji w/bullet train tickets sorted, that was the first thing I opted for as I never got a chance to do it last year."

Have you just got a one way ticket on the bullet train to Mt Fuji? If so, I am sure you can get a chugger train from there to Kyoto. If you have the JR pass then you have unlimited travel on JR lines for the week.

There is plenty to do in Kyoto! The under ground/ over ground trains are simplified and dirt cheap. I recommend going to Arashiyama to see the bamboo forest. There's a cracking monkey sanctuary near by which is ace, you can feed them.

Fushimi Inari-taisha i is a beautiful walk up a mountain through endless orange shintos, it's free to do and is stunning with amazing views towards the peak.

Kinkajuki (golden temple) is worth a visit, you can get to this by bus from the centre of kyoto. It is busy but the gardens are ace.

It's worth wondering around Gion at night and trying to spot at Geisha, there's a few fakes, but if you see one it's an elegant sight! The night life in Kyoto is awesome, plenty of bars in Gion and Butterfly is a great club.

If it's feesable Nara isn't too far from Kyoto, there's a deer sanctuary with the biggest wooden temple in Japan. The deer just come up to you hounding you for food, it's nuts.

I hope you have another cracking trip to Japan, it's bloody awesome!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.