Why haven’t Manchester City become the "super club" they should be?

I think Rodwell and Garcia should've in that list before the likes of Stones and Sterling! Mancini wanted to bring in 2 or 3 marquee signings in 2012 and who knows what would've happened had we done that
Fair enough but they didn't cost nearly 100 million quid.

I think most football fans couldn't care less about stats like most points, most assists, most possession etcetera they equate success with trophies in the cabinet. We know that when we had a great chance to kick on strongly Mancini wasn't backed financially for whatever reasons and then when we did buy some of our choices failed miserably. It happens. Since the takeover we have also had four different managers. Five trophies in nine years isn't a bad haul when you consider what our starting position was but we should have probably won a couple more.

We aren't a million miles away from winning it but the Champions League remains the biggest hurdle.

I'm sorry I don't rate either of them as top class, for circa 100 million think we could've done a lot better, just my opinion

English players come at a premium. They probably wouldn't cost £100m if they weren't English but we've got them young and if we get 5-10 years of to quality service out of them then we will have got good value.

I still don't buy the FFP stuff being a reason.

Yes we only bought Sinclair, Rodwell, Garcia and other shit players but we still spent a shitload on those as well. I think there is a systemic issue with our scouting and the players we decide to buy, or at least there was, which contributed to this more than FFP.

Also we bought players which provide little balance to the side. Look at the team from 2012 and on paper it was nowhere near as good as this side of 2017. We won the title with 89 points with players like Lescott, Johnson, De Jong, etc in the side.

I actually think Lescott proved to be a better CB than Otamendi or Mangala are currently. De Jong was also better than Fernando and Fernandinho in terms of DMF capabilities.

I agree with the beginning of your post completely, we simply bought average players or players that do not work with our system.

I still don't buy the FFP stuff being a reason.

Yes we only bought Sinclair, Rodwell, Garcia and other shit players but we still spent a shitload on those as well. I think there is a systemic issue with our scouting and the players we decide to buy, or at least there was, which contributed to this more than FFP.

I actually think Lescott proved to be a better CB than Otamendi or Mangala are currently. De Jong was also better than Fernando and Fernandinho in terms of DMF capabilities.

I agree with the beginning of your post completely, we simply bought average players or players that do not work with our system.

And we had Tevez, and Kompany fit for a full season.

It hasn't taken Chelsea decades though. I'm not saying we can match Barca and Madrid in 2 years, that'd be silly, but we should, in my opinion, have won at least one more title and one more FA Cup since the takeover, and made a better title challenge this year.

We took our eye off the ball with transfers and with treading water waiting for Pep, and now we're not seen as the dominant English team when a continuation of our success from the 2012 title would have us up there by now, although not at Bayern, Barca level, obviously. But in this country, we'd be top dogs.

Chelsea aren't a 'super club' in my opinion. I'd put them in a sub-tier with the likes of Ajax, PSG, Arsenal, Inter Milan etc. a group that we are aiming for at the very least.

There are only a handful of what i'd class as 'Super Clubs' ... those with traditions of success and great era's of teams that were the best in the world. With fan bases and global awareness to match. Barca, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Juve, Boca, Bayern (and another). Ajax is close to that group but havent quite been there for a decade or so. And the other i wont name is a super club, much to my annoyance, but happily think they are on the decline, slowly.

Can we really point to Kompany being injured as a reason why we aren't where we want to be? It's not like it's a surprise. He's played a grand total of 49 league games in the last three seasons and only 23 in the last two. It's a problem we've known about and tried to address for the last three seasons at massive cost, and have failed miserably. It's a failure of recruitment, not a lack of luck with injuries. You can't plan your title challenge around an injury prone player and then moan that you didn't win the league because he got injured.

Sacking Mancini, we lack stability and now the team we had 5 years ago is finally starting to crumble..... Guardiola has had his work cut out for him and has needed to rebuild an entire new squad, like Mancini did after Hughes!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.