Yaya Toure signs one year extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Toure is playing first team football next season, we can get forget about winning anything next season.

It is an odd one. You can see now his legs are rapidly going but his ball retention, physical presence, passing and influence are still there. Is that enough for another top six side to offer him a two or three year deal? If not is he prepared to drop down lower? I hope he stays we have no one to step into his shoes at the moment.

Will he be able to maintain his fitness levels if he's in and out of the team? He clearly made a big effort in the autumn to get fit when not playing, but can he sustain that level of fitness a year on playing now and again?
If he gets a full pre season under his belt he should be OK. I would imagine they are going to a boot camp for a couple weeks as this was Peps MO when he was at Bayern and Barca

He's great against the teams that dont press as he gets time on the ball and can dictate the play from deep. Lets face it 3/4 of the teams in the league sit back so he will have plenty of games to play in

It also gives us time to assess whether Gundogan comes back anything like he was before. I heard he is now due back in July so having Yaya is like an insurance policy

If he gets a full pre season under his belt he should be OK. I would imagine they are going to a boot camp for a couple weeks as this was Peps MO when he was at Bayern and Barca

He's great against the teams that dont press , as he gets time on the ball the dictate the pay from deep. Lets face it 3/4 of the teams in the league sit back so he will have plenty of games to play in

It also gives us time to assess whether Gundogan comes back anything like he was before. I heard he is now due back in July so having Yaya is like an insurance policy

He's actually at his best and most important to us vs. teams that press. He is the only person in the squad who is always available to receive a pass from someone under pressure, and who can take the ball under great pressure himself, fend it off and find a pass to someone in space, or move it on immediately with a first time pass.

He is vulnerable when teams play a proper aggressive counter attack, with 3 or 4 pacey players looking to attack immediately. He's OK against the lower table "leave a speedy bloke up top while the other 10 are behind the ball" counter-attacks, but the likes of Leicester last year, teams who attack very quickly with numbers so we need more than just the back line defending are a problem.

He's actually at his best and most important to us vs. teams that press. He is the only person in the squad who is always available to receive a pass from someone under pressure, and who can take the ball under great pressure himself, fend it off and find a pass to someone in space, or move it on immediately with a first time pass.
weird how his worst performances come against these teams then...

weird how his worst performances come against these teams then...

They don't. He was brilliant against Monaco at home, Chelsea at home, Spurs at home, Bournemouth away, Liverpool home.

The teams worst performances happen against pressing teams, Yaya's don't. In fact one of the reasons we struggle against those teams is because Yaya is the only player who really deals with intense pressing by defending teams. If we had another 2 or 3 who were as good as him we'd be laughing.

Silva? I don't question Toure's ability on the ball. I know what he is good at, but the defensive aspect of his game is terrible. I concede he can play as a squad player in some games, but if we're looking at a one year contract extension it suggests to me we are not in the market to strengthen the midfield. teams like Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs have better midfields because they are balanced. Ours is not. It's all ball players. And Toure doesn't play killer passes any more. Side to side. All stuff that Kompany and Stones can do in their sleep.

If Toure is playing first team football next season, we can get forget about winning anything next season.

If Yaya had not of played first team football this season, we could of forgotten top four this season.

Some are too quick to forget what a great player he is (when his agent is put back in his box). Yaya will be a valuable asset as a squad player. As he was this season. nobody knows what might happen next season injury wise etc.

Silva? I don't question Toure's ability on the ball. I know what he is good at, but the defensive aspect of his game is terrible. I concede he can play as a squad player in some games, but if we're looking at a one year contract extension it suggests to me we are not in the market to strengthen the midfield. teams like Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs have better midfields because they are balanced. Ours is not. It's all ball players. And Toure doesn't play killer passes any more. Side to side. All stuff that Kompany and Stones can do in their sleep.

Silva tries but can't cope with physical pressing teams like Yaya can, he just ends up getting hurt a lot.

if we're looking at a one year contract extension it suggests to me we are not in the market to strengthen the midfield

I don't see why you'd draw that conclusion at all. We have Fernando and Delph who are passengers currently - why replace Yaya and keep Fernando instead of replacing Fernando and renewing Yaya?

Offering Yaya a contract reportedly less than half the wages of his current one suggests we're making room in the wage bill and Yaya will have a smaller role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.