Pablo Maffeo - 2016/2017 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He struggled when Pep tried him in that role, but imo he was a level above Trippier in the Academy & probably soon would be now if he played a season in the Prem.

i dont agree. trippier was brilliant at youth level and at city he was a stand out player, i remember going to see the youth team play and you just knew he was going to make it. i dont rate maffeo as highly.

i dont agree. trippier was brilliant at youth level and at city he was a stand out player, i remember going to see the youth team play and you just knew he was going to make it. i dont rate maffeo as highly.

I thought Trippier had a decent chance to make it somewhere, but the standard of football from opponents back then was generally appalling, kick & rush & whenever faced by a higher quality opponent he struggled defensively. What benefitted him & also Ben Mee, was getting away from City & playing real football. Hopefully Maffeo is getting the same.

Trippier is not good enough by some distance imo & will get replaced. Maffeo imo is already a far better defender, just needing match hardening for a year or so, although not as good attacking, which is probably where he will make or break it at City, as Pep wants attacking fullbacks.

To me that would suggest the loan was a poor choice. Aside from the other points made, that lineup appears they weren't using a a right back.

Cifu has been converted from a full back to a wide midfielder and I don't think that's where Maffeo's strengths lie.

I disagree, attacking is the weaker part of his game and Girona have played him as a wingback, allowing him to focus more on that side of things.

But wouldn't that make it a good loan? One which allows him to strengthen an area of his game that might not have been up to scratch before?

Sorry, I misread your response. I see him as a typical full back in the mould of Zabaleta (inevitable, soon to be cliched comparison) and don't see him being much use as a wing back currently.

But I suppose the minutes he gets there for Girona could help him learn the position better and if that's the case then I guess the loan has done him some good and he'll be better equipped to play in a flexible Guardiola side.

With Sagna's confirmed exit, Manchester City for now have only one recognised right-back on the books, 19-year-old Pablo Maffeo.

Hope he gets his chance now

With Sagna's confirmed exit, Manchester City for now have only one recognised right-back on the books, 19-year-old Pablo Maffeo.

Hope he gets his chance now

I still think he goes out on loan again to Girona who should be in La Liga next year. Fernandinho would become the backup and we still buy a top #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.