Joshua Kimmich

He's a baby. Guardiola I suspect prefers young players because he can teach them. Sanches would fall into that category easily.

He's raw, I think that's the best description. He has all the tools to be brilliant, hence why Bayern, United and everyone else were so interested in him,he just needs a coach who'll put in hours on the training pitch to refine him - which is right up Pep's alley, and not Ancelotti's strength.

I'm also interested to know what makes you think this. Certainly doesn't seem it from the games I've seen him play.

I wonder if @Maldeika can offer her opinion on his situation.

The more I think about it the more odd it seems. He has dropped off the map a bit at Bayern, so I looked back at the many articles about him and threads from 12 months ago it was his tactical intelligence that won him so many plaudits, making loads of interceptions and cutting out attacks, but also picking the right moments to surge forward as an extra attacker. Also not giving the ball away cheaply was something he got a lot of praise for.

The more I think about it the more odd it seems. He has dropped off the map a bit at Bayern, so I looked back at the many articles about him and threads from 12 months ago it was his tactical intelligence that won him so many plaudits, making loads of interceptions and cutting out attacks, but also picking the right moments to surge forward as an extra attacker. Also not giving the ball away cheaply was something he got a lot of praise for.

That's what struck me about him too. I was far more concerned about him going to united than Pogba, let's put it that way.

I'm also interested to know what makes you think this. Certainly doesn't seem it from the games I've seen him play.

I wonder if @Maldeika can offer her opinion on his situation.
He is extremely overrated mostly thanks to his awesome physique, but he's an inconsistent passer that lacks vision and understanding of the game. Yes he's a kid and has all time in the world to improve, but I don't see him necessarily becoming a top player. Buying him would be too much a gamble. And he's not a 'Pep' player, I'm absolutely sure. Cruyff's school prioritises awareness and quick-thinking over physical attributes (you can watch 18yo Xavi, Iniesta or Fabregas), Sanches is more like a typical Mourinho player.
Edit: don't get me wrong, of course it's all relative. For example, some may call Vidal a 'clever' player, but he clearly lacks intelligence by La Masia's standards. I'm not bashing Sanches, he can become a very good player. But he doesn't fit Guardiola's approach IMO.

Last edited:
He is extremely overrated mostly thanks to his awesome physique, but he's an inconsistent passer that lacks vision and understanding of the game. Yes he's a kid and has all time in the world to improve, but I don't see him necessarily becoming a top player. Buying him would be too much a gamble. And he's not a 'Pep' player, I'm absolutely sure. Cruyff's school prioritises awareness and quick-thinking over physical attributes (you can watch 18yo Xavi, Iniesta or Fabregas), Sanches is more like a typical Mourinho player.
Edit: don't get me wrong, of course it's all relative. For example, some may call Vidal a 'clever' player, but he clearly lacks intelligence by La Masia's standards. I'm not bashing Sanches, he can become a very good player. But he doesn't fit Guardiola's approach IMO.

What!? I'm sorry but I cannot disagree with this more, are we even talking about the same player?

he's an inconsistent passer that lacks vision and understanding of the game.

Passing is one of his strengths, particularly his short stuff when in possession, and his understanding of the game is brilliant, that's one of the reasons he was so highly praised last season, his maturity and understanding of his role - a box to box role which is one of the more complicated tactically.

And he's not a 'Pep' player, I'm absolutely sure. Cruyff's school prioritises awareness and quick-thinking over physical attributes (you can watch 18yo Xavi, Iniesta or Fabregas), Sanches is more like a typical Mourinho player.

More of a general point, and I don't want to sound rant-ey, but I wish people would stop with the whole "Cruyff School" and "Pep player" tripe - because no one actually knows what a Pep player is.

Kyle Walker is a world away from the archetypal "Pep player" but we are buying him, or at least we're trying our hardest to. Then, "more like a typical Mourinho player" - You do realise that they often go for the exact same players, right? John Stones is the perfect example of that. Also Mourinho greatly values intelligence as well, Carvalho, Terry, Lampard are all exceptionally intelligent players. Alonso, Mourinho's favourite Real Madrid player bought by Pep. etc. etc. The list is almost endless.

For example, some may call Vidal a 'clever' player, but he clearly lacks intelligence by La Masia's standards.

The same Vidal that Guardiola bought at Bayern and then played 48 times in the one season he had him? I think that kind of backs up my point above.

Anyway this isn't Kimmich related and we're in the kimmich thread so I don't want to get too deep into it especially as there's not even a hint of a link between us and Sanches, I'll just leave it by saying I am properly astonished at your view on him, and it's pretty much the exact opposite of my own and goes against all the plaudits he got last season by pretty much everyone from punter to pundit to managers who were desperate to sign him, but it's a sport of opinions and that's whats so great about it, and the general consensus isn't always right!

Last edited:
What!? I'm sorry but I cannot disagree with this more, are we even talking about the same player?

Passing is one of his strengths, particularly his short stuff when in possession, and his understanding of the game is brilliant, that's one of the reasons he was so highly praised last season, his maturity and understanding of his role - a box to box role which is one of the more complicated tactically.

More of a general point, and I don't want to sound rant-ey, but I wish people would stop with the whole "Cruyff School" and "Pep player" tripe - because firstly there are huge differences between Guardiola and Cruyff now, we certainly play a brand of football Cruyff would never recognise as his own, and secondly no one knows what a Pep player is.

Kyle Walker is a world away from the caricature of a "Pep player" but we are buying him, or at least we're trying our hardest to. Then, "more like a typical Mourinho player" - You do realise that they often go for the exact same players, right? John Stones is the perfect example of that. Also Mourinho greatly values intelligence as well, Carvalho, Terry, Lampard are all exceptionally intelligent players. Alonso, Mourinho's favourite Real Madrid player bought by Pep. etc. etc. The list is almost endless.

The same Vidal that Guardiola bought at Bayern and then played 48 times in the one season he had him? I think that kind of backs up my point above.
Good points made there. Made me think mate, and I will not think too much about Pep players anymore :-)
Maybe the thing simply is that players can adapt to different ways, so a good player can both play well for Pep and for Mourinho.

Kyle Walker is a world away from the archetypal "Pep player" but we are buying him, or at least we're trying our hardest to. Then, "more like a typical Mourinho player" - You do realise that they often go for the exact same players, right? John Stones is the perfect example of that. Also Mourinho greatly values intelligence as well, Carvalho, Terry, Lampard are all exceptionally intelligent players. Alonso, Mourinho's favourite Real Madrid player bought by Pep. etc. etc. The list is almost endless.

Mourinho is a disciple of Van Gaal and he kinda did his internship under him and Robson as their assistant coach at Barcelona when Pep was a player there. It's not odd to think that they might be sharing some traits.

He is a young version of Vidal. His passing is not crisp and his technique is not Silva or Yaya esque. But more in the mold of Vidal and Kante.

What I've learned about players like Vidal and Kante is that they are way more intelligent than folks give them credit for. Lacking smooth technique doesn't stop them. Their brain power and physical attributes make up the difference.

Sanchez is going to be a physical specimen. And from watching him play, I see the same attributes I see in Vidal and Kante. They all despise losing possession, losing a batlle for the ball etc. So they make up for their lack of cultured technique with intensity, effort, aggression and determination.

Frankly I haven't seen a teenager that embodies those qualities more than Renato.

I'm.hard presssed to see how he doesn't figure it out. Especially coz he plays with the very Epitome of what he is becoming, Vodal!

In my view, this is all Ancellotti being Ancellotti. Sanchez will eventually dominate somewhere. He is the fucking reincarnation of Micheal Essien. And I'd rather not have him at United

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.