Why haven’t Manchester City become the "super club" they should be?

Marvin -

Much of what you say about the 'new'City is spot on & follows a well defined culture of asset development in the UAE. Develop to 7 star standards first,then back fill when the brand is established & recognised through 6,5,4 star etc.

It will probably work at City if we start to win trophies again & when the North Stand extension is complete.

9000 'value' tickets,rail standing,repositioning of singers etc will all help to redress the balance & get the lost season ticket holders from Maine Road back into the fold.

Where I do slightly disagree is fan/club/player/connection. When we were really shit we were together,we rallied round each other,it was a badge of honour to tell others 'we're City' & we were admired by almost everyone because of our self deprecating loyalty & madness. We were also very aligned under Bobby. He got us,we got him & we all got the team.

Onwards & upwards 'eh.
There was no fan player connection when I started supporting City at Maine Rd. Every manager who came along would sit tight for 20 mins then fans would turn on the team and it was you're not fit to wear the shirt, and we're shit and we're sick of it etc.

There was more fan player connection when we started winning - obviously. The Goat, Dicky, and on to Aguero, Zabaleta etc There was a lot of frustration at City at Maine Rd seeing everyone accelerate and City stagnate. Somehow though the fans stayed loyal and were eventually rewarded

I'm not Glenn Hoddle and thank you Stones agent but he still terrifies me in our back four. He is young and hopefully he will eradicate these brain freezes from his game.

I'm with Exter on this one. And the only way Stones will learn his defending the way Pep wants it played is to be on the pitch and learn from his mistakes. Main poimnt for me is Pep sees in him a defender that actually CAN cope with his demands so he takes time and effort to teach Stones. That wont go overnight and when Pep comes to the conclusion he overrated Stones i.e. Stones won't be able to live up to the demands, he will be on his way after sitting his time on the bench. As it is now I think Stones will make it. I even see in him a successor of Kompany from who he needs to learn the inconsiderate approach towards forewards.

Now move this to the Stones topic ...

There was no fan player connection when I started supporting City at Maine Rd. Every manager who came along would sit tight for 20 mins then fans would turn on the team and it was you're not fit to wear the shirt, and we're shit and we're sick of it etc.

There was more fan player connection when we started winning - obviously. The Goat, Dicky, and on to Aguero, Zabaleta etc There was a lot of frustration at City at Maine Rd seeing everyone accelerate and City stagnate. Somehow though the fans stayed loyal and were eventually rewarded

People tend to forget football changes and footbalclubs change with it. Simply go back in time 10 years from mow on and every decade you will be amazed what differences develop to football and to your own footballclub. In another 10 years it's hard to predict what football will be like than. We might rule Europe; Rags could be playing in the 1st division for all I care. There is a chip in the ball that signals offside and out of play, so we don't need linesmen anymore; instead they are now videorefs. Champions League is a complete league with 12 of the best in Europe and domestic leagues are for the teams that do not qualify for the Champions League. TV-money has dubbeled or has devaluated completely and is replaced by another form of income ... you simply don't know other than it will be different.
As it is now it seems we let Chelsea and Spurs pass us by. In reality it is nearly always the case of clubs having good and bad periods and whatever there is in between. I love the fact the PL has now 5-7 teams that can challenge for a top 4. The old top 4 has been broken and it has definitely improved the PL. The best way to win something is after an huge effort.

I do like to think the club has let in a new level of fans i.e. the ones with money. In the old days that would have got to me more than it has now. Partly because in the old days you werent able to watch the match on telly, now you can. Everywhere worldround other than a few deserted islands in the Pacific. Partly because people from my generation have seen it all and are less keen to try and get to every game home and away. And I'm not sure if the coming generation are as keen as we were in the old days. Young people prefer to watch in different ways. It's all changing and it is nothing new. We might be looking through imaginarial glasses and be in the stadium while sitting at home.

All this doesn't answer the Q of the topic, it more refers to your discussion. As to answer the Q, it proves money can't buy immediate succes, but it does improve the chances to get it. So does having a great manager and great players on board. And I like to think the board under Sheik Mansour and Khaldoon have learned a lot from these last 9 years. In hindsight they probably would have done things differently. What's new. We can feel and should feel very VERY lucky to have them pick our club to try and become a top European outfit. I reckon we have come close and are just trying to make this final step towards being mentioned with the usual suspects in Europe. If we fans feel that is a positive development? I'd say some will say yes, some might look back to the old days and feel indifferent. The core of the club, either living in Manchester-area, UK or abroad (as my self) in the end and in their own way they will always support City. The gloryhunters will always swap places. So be it.

Shit happens mate, obviously wasn't the best timing but he had it coming.

He had it coming ?

Thank fuck he only won the cup beating the rags in the semi. Won the league for the first time in 44 years beating the rags in the last seconds. Got us into to the CL for the first time in our history. Tore down the banner. Sick Swan. Fucked up the bacon faced piss can. Etc etc.

Just imagine what he'd of deserved if he'd failed !!

Forza Mancini.

He had it coming ?

Thank fuck he only won the cup beating the rags in the semi. Won the league for the first time in 44 years beating the rags in the last seconds. Got us into to the CL for the first time in our history. Tore down the banner. Sick Swan. Fucked up the bacon faced piss can. Etc etc.

Just imagine what he'd of deserved if he'd failed !!

Forza Mancini.
Give over man, I don't need reminding what he did, I was there for it all.

Doesn't stop the fact that he was causing all sorts of problems behind the scenes, common knowledge majority of our best players would have fucked off if he stuck around - you wouldn't have remembered him so fondly if that had happened....

We criminally lost momentum during MP's tenure.
While agent Moyes was accomplishing his magnificent detriment work at the scums, we should have went for the jugular and crush the league to build a decade of domination.
Every parameters were in check for us to take over : scums beginning to turn into a 21st century Wimbledon, Chelsea still rebuilding, the gooners & scousers stalling.
That two-years opportunity window that we had, we absolutely bottled it, plain and simple.
We should have been fearless in the transfer market, but instead, have been nitpicking and resorting to signing second choices reinforcements over and over.
The gap of quality between our squad and the top five was in our favor and so obvious till that 2013-2014 season.
If there was a time to bury the competition, that was it.
Yet, we let all of them close that gap in the lapse of the 2014 summer transfer, and were nowhere to be seen since then.
We failed to replicate what Chelsea did during their 2003~2005 recomposition.

Give over man, I don't need reminding what he did, I was there for it all.

Doesn't stop the fact that he was causing all sorts of problems behind the scenes, common knowledge majority of our best players would have fucked off if he stuck around - you wouldn't have remembered him so fondly if that had happened....

Causing problems behind the scenes ?

I think you'll find it was Hart,Nasri Dzeko who were causing problems behind the scenes aided by that fcukin joker Chapman......and of course the tea lady !!

Marwood was fearful of Bobbys popularity & vision for the next stage & bought him Rodwell,Sinclair & Garcia to undermine him & piss him off.

Treachery !!

We criminally lost momentum during MP's tenure.
While agent Moyes was accomplishing his magnificent detriment work at the scums, we should have went for the jugular and crush the league to build a decade of domination.
Every parameters were in check for us to take over : scums beginning to turn into a 21st century Wimbledon, Chelsea still rebuilding, the gooners & scousers stalling.
That two-years opportunity window that we had, we absolutely bottled it, plain and simple.
We should have been fearless in the transfer market, but instead, have been nitpicking and resorting to signing second choices reinforcements over and over.
The gap of quality between our squad and the top five was in our favor and so obvious till that 2013-2014 season.
If there was a time to bury the competition, that was it.
Yet, we let all of them close that gap in the lapse of the 2014 summer transfer, and were nowhere to be seen since then.
We failed to replicate what Chelsea did during their 2003~2005 recomposition.

100%. ......but there are none so blind as those who chose not to see !!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.