Giving EDS players first team football.

hihosilva

Team supported
Manchester City
I think that most fans would agree that EDS players are finding it increasingly difficult to break into the first team. This being mainly due to the pressure on managers to get results week in week out and therefore not willing to risk playing the kids.
I would suggest that the Premier League Introduce a first team playing time for EDS players.

A playing time total of say 3420 minutes ( which is a total of the minutes in 38 games ) be used for EDS players.

For example:
If Pep used one EDS player per game he would use up the total 3420 minutes in the season.
Or during some games he wouldn't play any EDS but play two or three players in other games. It really would be down to the Manager as long as he uses up the total hours during the season.

Thoughts!

Young players only, generally, get game time in teams that can't afford good first team players - see Richards, Ireland, etc.

Young players only, generally, get game time in teams that can't afford good first team players - see Richards, Ireland, etc.

At Manchester City maybe, but whiskey nose continually managed it despite being the best team in the country and having more money than anyone else for the majority of his tenure.

These days Klopp and Pochettino find ways of getting youth team players into the team whilst competing for the top 4 or title respectively.

At Manchester City maybe, but whiskey nose continually managed it despite being the best team in the country and having more money than anyone else for the majority of his tenure.

These days Klopp and Pochettino find ways of getting youth team players into the team whilst competing for the top 4 or title respectively.
Not being sarcastic here genuinely haven't caught many Liverpool games, which players has Klopp brought through that are good at Liverpool?

Also how did Deli Ali come through at Spurs? I can't remember a loan period. We should be open to learning from other PL clubs who've managed it. Sometimes it seems as though managers are forced into playing them out of a necessity rather than planning for it, like in Rashford's case... if they do well you keep playing them. That seems as though managers need to be afforded some slack to take the risk by the fans and those above him, rather than having a "I had to play him" to fall back on.

Not being sarcastic here genuinely haven't caught many Liverpool games, which players has Klopp brought through that are good at Liverpool?

Also how did Deli Ali come through at Spurs? I can't remember a loan period. We should be open to learning from other PL clubs who've managed it. Sometimes it seems as though managers are forced into playing them out of a necessity rather than planning for it, like in Rashford's case... if they do well you keep playing them. That seems as though managers need to be afforded some slack to take the risk by the fans, rather than having a "I had to play him" to fall back on.

Dele Alli didn't come through at Spurs...they bought him after he'd been playing for MK Dons for 2 years.

Situations like Harry Winks at Spurs are the thing we should be striving for IMO. He's played about 30 games this season before he got injured in March, but Pochettino just throws him in to see how he'll do. If they're winning, he'll throw him in to get minutes, if someone is injured he'll look to find a way to get him on, sometimes he brings him on if they're losing just to see if he might come up with something.

He's not had many starts, but he's played regularly and steadily won Pochettino's trust to the point where he isn't in the first XI, but if anyone's injured or suspended, Pochettino will play Winks and he'll get a good performance because he's played regularly and has been exposed gradually.

Klopp's not as involved but players like Ejaria, Woodburn, Trent Alexander-Arnold have all come of the bench if the team is winning or given cup minutes to the point where they're seeing a lot more than our lot.

Dele Alli didn't come through at Spurs...they bought him after he'd been playing for MK Dons for 2 years.

Situations like Harry Winks at Spurs are the thing we should be striving for IMO. He's played about 30 games this season before he got injured in March, but Pochettino just throws him in to see how he'll do. If they're winning, he'll throw him in to get minutes, if someone is injured he'll look to find a way to get him on, sometimes he brings him on if they're losing just to see if he might come up with something.

He's not had many starts, but he's played regularly and steadily won Pochettino's trust to the point where he isn't in the first XI, but if anyone's injured or suspended, Pochettino will play Winks and he'll get a good performance because he's played regularly and has been exposed gradually.
That sounds very logical and makes you wonder how hard can it be for other managers to see that as the way to go.

It's the cases like Rashford that interest me, where from what I hear, he was at the time only considered good enough for back up just in case of an injury, which happened and forced the manager to play him. Would he be a starter now if that wouldn't have happened? I'm not so sure, that should tell us all something, especially managers at clubs with good academies. It's a bit ironic that the two best academies around(us and Chelsea) right now have yet to bring through a star of their own in recent years.

That sounds very logical and makes you wonder how hard can it be for other managers to see that as the way to go.

It's the cases like Rashford that interest me, where from what I hear, he was at the time only considered good enough for back up just in case of an injury, which happened and forced the manager to play him. Would he be a starter now if that wouldn't have happened? I'm not so sure, that should tell us all something, especially managers at clubs with good academies. It's a bit ironic that the two best academies around(us and Chelsea) right now have yet to bring through a star of their own in recent years.
Rashford is a perfect example. You're right, I doubt he would have got the chance to play if it wasn't down to injury.
This is why I'm suggesting a system where the younger players would be given a chance to show the manager their game on the big stage.
We have some excellent players coming through the EDS & I don't want to see them loaned out to a Championship team, I want to see them given a chance with our club.

Garcia shouldn't be forgotten I suppose Pep did actually play him quite a lot compared to most, even got slated for it if I'm remembering right in one league game. I quite like Garcia and would be happy to see him get more game time with us, the thing is you do lose something when you put an inexperienced player in and they have a mistake in them(some of our fans simply wont want to make any sacrifice, world class player ready to go or nothing). With a more solid defence and a fit Kompany we could see more of him next season, maybe even Tosin Adarabioyo, Roberts, Unal will get their chance. With a defense that looks like conceding every time the opponent has a sniff of a chance I think we can give Pep a pass for this season.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.