Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
France benefits from the EU agricultural policies, so while there is a lot of anti EU feelings they voted to keep xmas much like a turkey wanting presents would, it was far more a vote of different groups wanting to oppose Le Pen than any real support for a pro EU candidate.

Far more interesting will be the German elections, there is far more anti EU feelings than the mainstream media is reporting, and with the prospect of having to fund more of the EU budget, the fall out of the open door immigration policy, and the exposure of German banks to the Greece situation, there is now the threat to jobs if they lose the UK trade, plus the small matter of the little fat woman being as popular as a turd in a swimming pool.
Well it's either Merkel or Schultz in Germany, and Schultz is the more federalist of the two. So the UK had better hope that Angela ( who is favourite) wins.

Strange post in a way.
I thought you were going to say that because both sides were ( in your view) of equal strength in negotiations ( i.e. EU not stronger than UK) then a good deal would be struck between both sides. But then you went on to say that you expected a lose lose deal. I agree with you on that point , it's just that your argument seemed to suggest the opposite.
I didn't actually say it would be a lose lose deal but ultimately there would be compromises on both sides that neither side would admit to being acceptable at the moment. The radical remainers seem to reckon that the EU hold all the cards and that we will need to give up more than we have to in the negotiations if we were to achieve favourable market access. I voted remain by the way but accept that we're leaving and that we need to get the best deal we can, and at the moment this means we shouldn't be taking much of the EU rhetoric seriously before we even start negotiating in earnest. Similarly the current hard line about a hard Brexit from our side will undoubtedly soften as the negotiations progress.

France benefits from the EU agricultural policies, so while there is a lot of anti EU feelings they voted to keep xmas much like a turkey wanting presents would, it was far more a vote of different groups wanting to oppose Le Pen than any real support for a pro EU candidate.

Far more interesting will be the German elections, there is far more anti EU feelings than the mainstream media is reporting, and with the prospect of having to fund more of the EU budget, the fall out of the open door immigration policy, and the exposure of German banks to the Greece situation, there is now the threat to jobs if they lose the UK trade, plus the small matter of the little fat woman being as popular as a turd in a swimming pool.
Wow. 60% of Germans want a turd in their swimming pool. Who knew? Dummkopf (I don't like insulting people but it's OK because of the "little fat woman" jibe).

Lets see how the little fat one does when the voting is for real shall we ?, you should have cottoned on that polls mean nothing by now, and while I take Lens point that the big two parties are the front runners I think FDP/CSU/AfD will take large chunks out of the pair of them.

Lets see how the little fat one does when the voting is for real shall we ?, you should have cottoned on that polls mean nothing by now, and while I take Lens point that the big two parties are the front runners I think FDP/CSU/AfD will take large chunks out of the pair of them.

The only question of significance for Britain is whether the outcome of the German election will make the Germans more or less inclined to indulge us in the forthcoming Brexit negotiations, sadly for us it won't. Germany's top priority is to ensure that Brexit does not weaken the EU, and that means the UK must not be allowed any kind of special arrangements that could undermine it.

On a more immediate level if we balk at the principle of paying money – leaving Germany to pick up the biggest share of the hole then left in the EU budget – then there will be no deal and we can stew in our own juice.

If Schulz beats Merkel in September’s federal elections, the chances of Britain crashing out of the EU without a deal will rise dramatically. Schulz is no lover of what we've done and he would make us pay for the consequences in full.

I wouldn't fret too much about the German election, we're screwed whatever the outcome, but Len is right, in this Brexit Hobson's choice we should be rooting for Merkel.

The only question of significance for Britain is whether the outcome of the German election will make the Germans more or less inclined to indulge us in the forthcoming Brexit negotiations, sadly for us it won't. Germany's top priority is to ensure that Brexit does not weaken the EU, and that means the UK must not be allowed any kind of special arrangements that could undermine it.

No, its certain politicians top priority, the German people are getting fed up to the back teeth of the EU and know full well their biggest market is the UK, Germany's priority is that britex wont weaken Germany.

No, its certain politicians top priority, the German people are getting fed up to the back teeth of the EU and know full well their biggest market is the UK, Germany's priority is that britex wont weaken Germany.

Even if you're right and I don't believe you are, we won't be negotiating with the German people, we'll be negotiating with her politicians.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

Politicians dont produce, sell, or buy anything, businesses do that, they also stump up "Donations" to political parties, meaning the politicians can make all the noise they want, but when it comes down to cash money they do as they are told.

Politicians dont produce, sell, or buy anything, businesses do that, they also stump up "Donations" to political parties, meaning the politicians can make all the noise they want, but when it comes down to cash money they do as they are told.

What is it with leavers? Own this, embrace the impact! After all you voted for it. All this noises off, undertones, fat capitalism will save us from the repercussions of our actions, is nothing but self delusion.

This desperation to find "leading" German economists, French wine producers, Italian cheese makers borders on pathetic.

Look at what's staring you in the face, embrace reality not delusion. All 27 countries signed up likety split to their negotiating position and they have barely budged an inch. Looking for hair line fractures and changing mood music is an act of desperation.

Will there be movement once the negotiations start? Yes, but not on the fundamentals and it's the fundamentals that will screw us.

Last edited:
Its the fundamentals that you want to ignore, for all the EU bluster some member countries face financial meltdown if they lose the UK markets, even the almighty Germans will balk at taking a complete lose because they are now going to be left as the biggest contributor without the complication of member states not being able to pay up.

Those German economists, French wine producers, and Italian cheese makers know full well that without the UK as a customer they face serious trouble, just where are they going to flog their wares exactly ?, we run a trade deficit with the EU, so for you to preach this one sided gloom and doom is utter nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.