Ederson Moraes

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can but it seems that we rate Ederson as the better keeper. Rulli has games where he is outstanding, usually against Barcelona but the rest of the time he isn't great and concedes some very easy goals.

We can only trigger our buyback clause for Rulli next summer iirc, I don't know about you but I'm not up for another season of Bravo as #1.

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up. How much better is Ederson rated compared to a guy like Pickford?

No. The idea of the press is to stop the opposition from having a good build up. No press means more time on the ball to pick a good pass. That's why the press is more successful on the continent because teams don't want to play long, they want to feed the ball in to midfield, but pressing them makes that harder.

In England, according to Pep himself, pressing high is less effective because teams are happy to just launch the ball long. They're not interested in feeding the ball in to midfield. They're happy to play percentages, knock it long to the number 9 and fight for a second ball.

The physicality of the goalkeeper doesn't really come in to this aspect of the game. It's the corners, set pieces and throw ins where keeper's physicality is important. Balls get tossed in to the box and the bigger, more aggressive players (including keepers) tend to be more successful.

One of the reasons why punching is more popular on the continent is because the second ball isn't as important. English teams are experts at scoring off the second ball, so punching is much riskier. To be able to catch crosses in a crowded penalty area requires greater physical strength and aggression.
It's a lot harder to pick a good long ball when you're pressed mate, long passing suffers more than short passing.
That's why it's considered suicide to play a high defensive line without pressing.

TBF there are practices allowed in the PL like challenging at corners that would usually be given as fouls in Spain but English refs do not penalise. I imagine that must take a bit of adjusting for a keeper. Bravo is a relatively small keeper.
Even so I could only recall one instance where this type of event cause a mistake/goal by Bravo, which is still within the norm.

No. The idea of the press is to stop the opposition from having a good build up. No press means more time on the ball to pick a good pass. That's why the press is more successful on the continent because teams don't want to play long, they want to feed the ball in to midfield, but pressing them makes that harder.

In England, according to Pep himself, pressing high is less effective because teams are happy to just launch the ball long. They're not interested in feeding the ball in to midfield. They're happy to play percentages, knock it long to the number 9 and fight for a second ball.

The physicality of the goalkeeper doesn't really come in to this aspect of the game. It's the corners, set pieces and throw ins where keeper's physicality is important. Balls get tossed in to the box and the bigger, more aggressive players (including keepers) tend to be more successful.

One of the reasons why punching is more popular on the continent is because the second ball isn't as important. English teams are experts at scoring off the second ball, so punching is much riskier. To be able to catch crosses in a crowded penalty area requires greater physical strength and aggression.
I disagree. Outside of the big teams that play from the back, there are a lot of other teams that still play like the way you described. Maybe they don't boot it long 100% of the time like West Brom does, but they play the same way.

You speak as if playing in the PL is the toughest test available for a goalkeeper. Like they need to be special to be able to play in the PL. One should look at how Joe Hart is doing to see the PL quality compared to others.

Punching is not more popular with European goalkeepers. More and more keepers nowadays punch instead of catch the ball, especially younger ones. Until January, 'Continental' goalkeepers like De Gea only punched the ball twice, and Lloris only punched it 4 times. While Pickford had did it 12 times.

Punching is not more popular with European goalkeepers. More and more keepers nowadays punch instead of catch the ball, especially younger ones. Until January, 'Continental' goalkeepers like De Gea only punched the ball twice, and Lloris only punched it 4 times. While Pickford had did it 12 times.
This season Bravo has actually punched a slightly higher % than all the GKs we have been linked with except Pickford, Willy and Ederson have the lowest:
Average punches: Caballero-21%, Valdes-32%, Bravo-41%, Pickford-52%, Donnarumma-39%, Ederson Moraes-22%, Hart-39%

Even so I could only recall one instance where this type of event cause a mistake/goal by Bravo, which is still within the norm.
Bravo had the highest number of dropped balls in the PL.

I agree that Bravo is likely to be a much better goalie than he demonstrated this season. However his confidence has been badly damaged, he has made a number of handling errors dropping the ball, he has let a very high % of shots in as goals and he is relatively small for a gk.

It is going to be tricky for him to get his confidence back because if we buy a new top quality keeper, he will want to play most of the matches himself. It's only playing successfully that gives you confidence.

Last edited:
Goalkeeper Ederson (23) may be the first player to leave Benfica this summer, with his transfer to Manchester City 'long reserved'. [Record]

Benfica president Luís Filipe Vieira is willing to sell Ederson to Manchester City for less than his €60m (£51.6m) release clause. [Record]

Makes sense to me. It seems we had this agreed with the player a long time ago. Probably end up signing him for £40m.

It's a lot harder to pick a good long ball when you're pressed mate, long passing suffers more than short passing.
That's why it's considered suicide to play a high defensive line without pressing.

Of course it's harder to play a good long ball when pressed. But that wasn't my point, mate.

It's also harder to play a good short ball, so pressing a team that plays short inevitably leads to inaccuracies in passing and turnover of possession in dangerous areas.

Teams that play long are happier to play percentages. Of course being pressed means it's harder to be accurate, but it's far less risky playing an inaccurate long ball than an inaccurate short one on the edge of your box.

Pep has said it repeatedly, that the high press in England is less effective than in Europe because teams in England are more than happy to beat the press with a hopeful long ball and play percentages and hope to win the second ball. It's obvious when you think about it, mate.

I disagree. Outside of the big teams that play from the back, there are a lot of other teams that still play like the way you described. Maybe they don't boot it long 100% of the time like West Brom does, but they play the same way.

You speak as if playing in the PL is the toughest test available for a goalkeeper. Like they need to be special to be able to play in the PL. One should look at how Joe Hart is doing to see the PL quality compared to others.

Your first paragraph doesn't really make sense, mate. I know lots of teams in England play that way, that was my whole point.

Regarding punching, I think a lot of it depends on the goalkeeping coach. Hart very rarely used to punch until Pellegrini brought in that goalkeeping coach, he made Hart a much worse keeper in my view.

De Gea punched a lot more in his early United career than he does now, he's adapted his game. And De Gea is a good example of what I'm talking about with physicality.

When he arrived in the league he was wiry and lightweight. That had never been a problem for him in Spain, but he was getting bullied in the box in the PL. Neville did a big piece on it at the time, absolutely slaughtered him.

DeGea has developed physically over the last few years, become much stronger and he's a much better keeper for it. Again, Neville has analysed his improved performance since he improved physically.

The idea of PL exceptionalism is completely flawed, as shown with European performances. But the PL is different. It would be ridiculous to think otherwise. It is more physical than other top European leagues. Physicality, pace and aggression does play a bigger part in England than it dies in Spain, Italy or Germany. It would be naive to think otherwise.

I don't think it's a good think by the way, but it is what it is.

Benfica president Luís Filipe Vieira is willing to sell Ederson to Manchester City for less than his €60m (£51.6m) release clause. [Record]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.