Referees/Officials

That was probably the most corrupt refereeing display I've ever seen.

Ric you should send this to Pep's people so he can see how long it's been like this, and that Riley is at the centre of it. And anyone saying Tyler isn't a biased scum lover just needs to listen to his comments; he started with rooney can be "a bit of a rascal" in the tackle! Disgusting

How soon before video ref is a PL norm ?
I think that once the Russian Internationals have been seen in the UK there will be plenty of pressure for it to be used.

Ric you should send this to Pep's people so he can see how long it's been like this, and that Riley is at the centre of it. And anyone saying Tyler isn't a biased scum lover just needs to listen to his comments; he started with rooney can be "a bit of a rascal" in the tackle! Disgusting

Perhaps they already are aware of it and have been waiting to see if he does anything with it.
The meeting with Pep is again useful evidence of his inability to do his job.

I´m sure City have a large dossier on many individuals and Clubs after the fiasco re FFP and Uefa.
Hopefully the piece in the Mirror is just the tip of the iceburg regarding the exposure of those with power within football. We as a Club break the rules and we are punished so is it possible that the same rule should apply to others ?

Some of that commentary still sticks in my throat, Tyler the biggest rag apologist on this planet, that whole game stank from start to finish even though I cannot stand arsenal it was the worst case of corruption since the added on added on time at Trafford

There were some dodgy decisions yesterday too, all seeming to favour the big clubs. Lovren's unpunished foul on the Boro player clean through, Chelsea getting a free kick form which they equalised despite it being a non-foul, Spurs getting at least one, maybe two, offside goals.
Probably wouldn't have changed things, but it's odd how it happens - or is it?

<2015 -16 SEASON>

After much frustration at referee decisions (of which City appear to always be at the negative end of) and the result of having spare time on my hands due to a deserved ban for venting my frustration in a non positive manner, I decided to have a look at the question on everyone's minds; Are we getting a raw deal from the referees?

So I thought perhaps we should approach this question from a subjective standpoint and look at what is factually correct and not fall in line with the media and believe one of the following party lines:
  • These decisions even themselves out over a season
  • Each team is on the end of poor decisions - just accept it!
  • Manchester City have so much money that the referees shouldn't be able to influence the result.
  • The players aren't performing, it's their fault not the referees!
  • It's just paranoia, take off your blue tinted specs!
I have been so incredibly frustrated this season and have left the Etihad and other away grounds with my blood boiling, incredibly frustrated and feeling cheated. It would appear that after being on the receiving end of some unbelievable decisions it would be beneficial to look at the stats and facts surrounding referees decisions for and against Manchester City this season and understand some of the raw statistics.

Table 1: Premier League 2015/2016 Tackles, Fouls and Cards

MCFC_Tackles_Rank.png

MCFC_Tackles_Rank21.png

What can we interpret from this table and how do we define if these statistics show referee anomalies or poor aptitude or attitude from Manchester City players??
  • MCFC have made only 343 successful tackles and lost 624 tackles, this is the worst in the Premier League
  • Only WBA and NOR have complete less successful tackles than MCFC
  • MCFC with 624 tackles lost is the highest in the league, we have lost 158 tackles more than Swansea and over 100 more tackles than Arsenal.
  • MCFC tackles ratio is 0.54 (20th) compared to 0.85 LIV (1st), 0.84 TOT (2nd) and 0.79 LEI (3rd)
  • This perhaps comes as no shock due to the work-rate we have seen from Liverpool, Spurs and Leicester this season - I hope we have identified this as an area to address in the Capital One Cup Final.
  • MCFC receive a card every 5.9 tackles (15th) compared to Chelsea 7.5 (1st), Arsenal 7.5 (2nd), ManU 7.1 (4th) and Leicester 6.9 (5th) - so what does this mean; MCFC receive a booking for every 6th tackle, Chelsea and Arsenal appear to be treated more leniently by referees and receive a booking after 7th/8th tackle. This may be coincidental so I'm not jumping to any conclusions here.
  • Looking at these figures as raw data it would appear that MCFC have a major issue and are not competitive enough in the tackling department, is this driven by tackling technique, player mentality or bias applied by the referees?
  • We have received the 15 more yellow cards than Arsenal this season
  • Our foul ration is average (we were ranked worst in Europe for this statistic last season) - see table 3; i'm not sure how we achieved neutralization of this factor but would appear we are receiving more balanced refereeing decisions on fouls overall - could this be due to MCFC being awarded more fouls due to the severity of the decisions the referees have made this season - paper over the cracks!?
Table 2: Premier League 2012/2013 – 2015/2014 Present – Ref Rank

Chart shows simplistic (not opponent/match specific) breakdown of referee / pts obtained over past 4 seasons.
MCFC results are ranked against Referees and the referees at the top of the chart are the referees we have had least success whilst we are playing against/ when they are officiating.
From a count of 21 matches this season; Mark Clattenberg has officiated against Manchester City 4 times.
From those games City have accrued 4 points out of a possible 12 and have been on the receiving end of 5 major decisions which I will detail in Table 4.

These major decisions looked like this and were clearly not mistakes but choices!

Offside_Spurs.jpg

harry-kane-offside-tottenham-manchester-city_3357143.jpg

ca1fc3ac-d3ef-11e5_1061629c.jpg

We lack of protection and rough treatment Aguero has received this season has been another huge cause for concern among most, the general consensus being that he gets less protection than most other strikers.
He is continually fouled from behind and is consistently on the receiving end of horror tackles like the ones from Dann and Wanyama this season.

Dann_Tackle_On_Aguero.jpg

2218.jpg

1414999713242_Image_galleryImage__NOT_INCLUDED_IN_ONLINE_D.JPG

239D4E7C00000578-2854906-Jones_called_it_incorrectly_as_Fonte_looked_to_foul_Aguero-24_1417358176304.jpg

Table 3: Fouls For against ratio from 2014/2015 season

As mentioned above this concern would now appear obsolete but is something skewing the statistics?

OK if there is something more sinister then we must investigate this; best place to start would be to review the major decisions for and against City this season. My analysis is detailed below and findings show a 9 point swing due to referee decisions which can be defined as major game changing decisions.

Table 4: Major Decision Review

SeasonReviewPart11.png

SeasonReviewPart21.png

Interesting the same names continue to appear when you review these major decisions; Mark Clattenburg, Robert Madley, Craig Pawson and Anthony Taylor

Pawson.png

Clattenberg.png

Madley.png

Taylor.png

<2016 -17 SEASON>

Analysis required of this season which has been worse than last, same referees seem to be the same names Robert Madley, Craig Pawson and Anthony Taylor

Tell me something I didn't know. It has been like this most of the season for us. With the same referees if we commit a foul it is give, however if our opponents do a similar 1 it's not given so where is the justice in that. perhaps we should adopt what they do in Italy, if a ref makes to many wrong decisions that are obvious that he ahs given/not given the right decision they are demoted for a period of time. So if we adopted that maybe we would improve the decisions of both all the officials in the game.

PGMOL should also make it official that after every game the officials have also to attend every press conference to explain any decisions that they have got completely wrong. Maybe that would give them something to think about, and maybe result in them getting more decisions right.

<2015 -16 SEASON>

After much frustration at referee decisions (of which City appear to always be at the negative end of) and the result of having spare time on my hands due to a deserved ban for venting my frustration in a non positive manner, I decided to have a look at the question on everyone's minds; Are we getting a raw deal from the referees?

So I thought perhaps we should approach this question from a subjective standpoint and look at what is factually correct and not fall in line with the media and believe one of the following party lines:
  • These decisions even themselves out over a season
  • Each team is on the end of poor decisions - just accept it!
  • Manchester City have so much money that the referees shouldn't be able to influence the result.
  • The players aren't performing, it's their fault not the referees!
  • It's just paranoia, take off your blue tinted specs!
I have been so incredibly frustrated this season and have left the Etihad and other away grounds with my blood boiling, incredibly frustrated and feeling cheated. It would appear that after being on the receiving end of some unbelievable decisions it would be beneficial to look at the stats and facts surrounding referees decisions for and against Manchester City this season and understand some of the raw statistics.

Table 1: Premier League 2015/2016 Tackles, Fouls and Cards

MCFC_Tackles_Rank.png

MCFC_Tackles_Rank21.png

What can we interpret from this table and how do we define if these statistics show referee anomalies or poor aptitude or attitude from Manchester City players??
  • MCFC have made only 343 successful tackles and lost 624 tackles, this is the worst in the Premier League
  • Only WBA and NOR have complete less successful tackles than MCFC
  • MCFC with 624 tackles lost is the highest in the league, we have lost 158 tackles more than Swansea and over 100 more tackles than Arsenal.
  • MCFC tackles ratio is 0.54 (20th) compared to 0.85 LIV (1st), 0.84 TOT (2nd) and 0.79 LEI (3rd)
  • This perhaps comes as no shock due to the work-rate we have seen from Liverpool, Spurs and Leicester this season - I hope we have identified this as an area to address in the Capital One Cup Final.
  • MCFC receive a card every 5.9 tackles (15th) compared to Chelsea 7.5 (1st), Arsenal 7.5 (2nd), ManU 7.1 (4th) and Leicester 6.9 (5th) - so what does this mean; MCFC receive a booking for every 6th tackle, Chelsea and Arsenal appear to be treated more leniently by referees and receive a booking after 7th/8th tackle. This may be coincidental so I'm not jumping to any conclusions here.
  • Looking at these figures as raw data it would appear that MCFC have a major issue and are not competitive enough in the tackling department, is this driven by tackling technique, player mentality or bias applied by the referees?
  • We have received the 15 more yellow cards than Arsenal this season
  • Our foul ration is average (we were ranked worst in Europe for this statistic last season) - see table 3; i'm not sure how we achieved neutralization of this factor but would appear we are receiving more balanced refereeing decisions on fouls overall - could this be due to MCFC being awarded more fouls due to the severity of the decisions the referees have made this season - paper over the cracks!?
Table 2: Premier League 2012/2013 – 2015/2014 Present – Ref Rank

Chart shows simplistic (not opponent/match specific) breakdown of referee / pts obtained over past 4 seasons.
MCFC results are ranked against Referees and the referees at the top of the chart are the referees we have had least success whilst we are playing against/ when they are officiating.
From a count of 21 matches this season; Mark Clattenberg has officiated against Manchester City 4 times.
From those games City have accrued 4 points out of a possible 12 and have been on the receiving end of 5 major decisions which I will detail in Table 4.

These major decisions looked like this and were clearly not mistakes but choices!

Offside_Spurs.jpg

harry-kane-offside-tottenham-manchester-city_3357143.jpg

ca1fc3ac-d3ef-11e5_1061629c.jpg

We lack of protection and rough treatment Aguero has received this season has been another huge cause for concern among most, the general consensus being that he gets less protection than most other strikers.
He is continually fouled from behind and is consistently on the receiving end of horror tackles like the ones from Dann and Wanyama this season.

Dann_Tackle_On_Aguero.jpg

2218.jpg

1414999713242_Image_galleryImage__NOT_INCLUDED_IN_ONLINE_D.JPG

239D4E7C00000578-2854906-Jones_called_it_incorrectly_as_Fonte_looked_to_foul_Aguero-24_1417358176304.jpg

Table 3: Fouls For against ratio from 2014/2015 season

As mentioned above this concern would now appear obsolete but is something skewing the statistics?

OK if there is something more sinister then we must investigate this; best place to start would be to review the major decisions for and against City this season. My analysis is detailed below and findings show a 9 point swing due to referee decisions which can be defined as major game changing decisions.

Table 4: Major Decision Review

SeasonReviewPart11.png

SeasonReviewPart21.png

Interesting the same names continue to appear when you review these major decisions; Mark Clattenburg, Robert Madley, Craig Pawson and Anthony Taylor

Pawson.png

Clattenberg.png

Madley.png

Taylor.png

<2016 -17 SEASON>

Analysis required of this season which has been worse than last, same referees seem to be the same names Robert Madley, Craig Pawson and Anthony Taylor
Great post, and well researched.

As a referee who was once in the promotion system there is still something I have never fully understood regarding PL refs. Up until the PL there is every chance you can either promoted or demoted depending on performances. Why does that not apply in the top flight? If you are in the bottom 3 following assessments and club marks you should be relegated and the top 3 from the football league promoted. It works at every level up to that point. When I was in the Vanarama league I was in the bottom band until the last few games & managed to get into the middle band luckily (mainly due to others ballsing up). The next year I finished in the middle band but had to quit because of injury.

Also a referee can only ref the FA Cup final once in his/her career. Why does the top official not get the final every year irrespective of the fact he has reffed it the last 5 years. Works at every level up to PL & in theory would be an incentive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.