Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not doubting the poster. TBH I am. It would be extremely difficult to build and fit an arena in the space inbetween and part off a NS expansion and the Etihad Metrolink stop/lines.

If I'm wrong fair enough, but I just can't see it, when there's so much land to build on around the stadium, with the costs being significantly lower.

The information as it stands does seem likely to be wrong. I'm not an expert, but can't see that building a sizeable arena as part of the North Stand structure would be considered either viable or desirable.

However, I suspect that it may have a kernel of truth but have become garbled in the telling; after all, for quite a number of years, there's been speculation that the new North Stand structure might have the City store and other attractions built in, while an arena within the campus is also far from a new idea. I no longer receive information from people privy to what's going on in terms of the development around the ground, but was told a while back that an arena with exhibition and conferencing facilities was intended for the northern part of the collar site. If there's anything to Danny's information, I suspect that it will be along these lines.

The information as it stands does seem likely to be wrong. I'm not an expert, but can't see that building a sizeable arena as part of the North Stand structure would be considered either viable or desirable.

However, I suspect that it may have a kernel of truth but have become garbled in the telling; after all, for quite a number of years, there's been speculation that the new North Stand structure might have the City store and other attractions built in, while an arena within the campus is also far from a new idea. I no longer receive information from people privy to what's going on in terms of the development around the ground, but was told a while back that an arena with exhibition and conferencing facilities was intended for the northern part of the collar site. If there's anything to Danny's information, I suspect that it will be along these lines.

This

Nothing from my source since last year, though it would start after tunnel club and changing room work completed, however maybe an erelavance but noticed when in super store before the last home game a new 3D jigsaw puzzle of the Etihad is now on sale with both North and South Stand extended so club must still be intending to extend but could do with something coming out from the club.
Its a done deal then!
s-l1600.jpg

Thought the hockey gaff was being built on the parker rosser site?

According to a report to the Council Executive last June, it was "the former Hall & Rogers building at the junction of Ashton New Road and Hillkirk Street" (that may be the same site as you're talking about - I have no idea). However, Manchester Phoenix, who were going to play there, seem to have folded: https://www.manchesterphoenix.co.uk/news/2854/phoenix-statement. Not sure that the venture will be viable without them (or might Manchester Storm be tempted from Altrincham?).

I don't think the plan was ever to have ice hockey hosted at any arena on the collar site. However, there was talk of such an arena hosting international basketball games as well as becoming a home for the Manchester Giants. IIRC, under the Eastlands Community Plan dated 2012, the hope was to make the area around the Campus home to various sports governing bodies, of which basketball was one.

I suspect the plan might bbe that, if they build the arena/conference venue, that - coupled with the recently mooted sports university and the ADUG/Council home building joint venture - there'll then be the prospect of large numbers of people in and around the campus on a daily basis. And that will then help to attract a partner for the development of the rest of the collar site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.