Vincent Kompany - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
My overriding thought once the season had finished was what if Kompany had been in that back four away at Monaco. They might still have knocked us out I suppose but I just don't imagine they would have scored that third goal (in that manner) which was a pathetic goal to concede. That's the difference, huge season defining moments and with Kompany there we have the steel to see them through, without him there almost seems to be an inevitability that those moments will go against us.

They would have scored at least one, maybe two less at our place.

They would have scored at least one, maybe two less at our place.
I look on so many threads on here particularly the Van Dijk thread and see people saying that we don't really need to prioritise buying a centre back and I wonder what on earth they have been watching all season. I am convinced that if we don't, then unless Kompany can play 50+ matches this coming season then we will win nothing, no matter how much we spend elsewhere on the pitch.

Last edited:
I look on so many threads on here particularly the Van Dijk thread and see people saying that we don't really need to prioritise buying a centre back and I wonder what on earth they have been watching all season. I am convinced that if we don't, then unless Kompany can play 50+ matches this coming season then we will win nothing, no matter how much we spend elsewhere on the pitch.
You could argue that after last season, another pre season and so forth that the current defence (plus new fullbacks) will be 10x better than it was last. Kompany however many games he can play will only improve it.

It's difficult to say, because we will have new fullbacks who will be younger & quicker than the old ones, plus a much improved attack & a keeper. Even if we'd signed nobody, the attack would go up a level barring unforseen circumstances. Jesus fit & available, Sané, Sterling a bit older, Aguero getting Pep's ideas. Now we have B Silva, maybe Sanchez, maybe even Pat Roberts.

The extra athleticism of the fullbacks should make us a yard quicker closing down inside at the other end as well as faster on the flanks at both ends.

It's a possible achilles heel again, but it might be we are just too good. Barca have got away with a dwarf midfielder at cb for years.

But if we don't click as Pep wants & Vinny gets crocked, we will likely miss out on everything again, for the same old reason.

So it's just straightforward imo, to sign a proper cb & close the loophole.

My overriding thought once the season had finished was what if Kompany had been in that back four away at Monaco. They might still have knocked us out I suppose but I just don't imagine they would have scored that third goal (in that manner) which was a pathetic goal to concede. That's the difference, huge season defining moments and with Kompany there we have the steel to see them through, without him there almost seems to be an inevitability that those moments will go against us.
Not sure you can think in these ways. If Kompany had played, the whole match would have panned out differently. We may have conceded less or even, more.

Those same scenarios would never be repeated so as you agree - theory only.

Vinnie does make mistakes also :)

He does, but usually as you say, those situations don't occur very often when he plays.

We need another Vinny level player, to put the solidarity into the squad, or we will continue to have an achilles heel which some will exploit for time to time, no matter how good we are in other areas.

He does, but usually as you say, those situations don't occur very often when he plays.

We need another Vinny level player, to put the solidarity into the squad, or we will continue to have an achilles heel which some will exploit for time to time, no matter how good we are in other areas.
Agree with the need to reinforce that position and hopefully we will sort that this window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.