Raheem Sterling - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he rescues a point with that assist and also set up Defoe in the last WC qualifier...

He provides quite a few assists for England but it's rarely picked upon.

Our national team is a fucking state. Our best midfielder quality wise is a mid 30's Carrick, our best attacking wide threat is regularly left out despite winning penalties and laying them on plates. We persist with Hart whilst slagging him to the hilt, blood in Butland or somebody young and hungry. Rooney has only just been finally dropped, 4 years too late. Heck, I reckon given half a chance the management would beg Scholes, Beckham and Gerrard to come back in.

I'm no longer worried that Sterling doesn't get recognition playing for that shower, celebrating a last minute equaliser against Scotland (whilst being rivals) shows how far our football has fallen.

He provides quite a few assists for England but it's rarely picked upon.

Our national team is a fucking state. Our best midfielder quality wise is a mid 30's Carrick, our best attacking wide threat is regularly left out despite winning penalties and laying them on plates. We persist with Hart whilst slagging him to the hilt, blood in Butland or somebody young and hungry. Rooney has only just been finally dropped, 4 years too late. Heck, I reckon given half a chance the management would beg Scholes, Beckham and Gerrard to come back in.

I'm no longer worried that Sterling doesn't get recognition playing for that shower, celebrating a last minute equaliser against Scotland (whilst being rivals) shows how far our football has fallen.
Well, at least your national team isn't the USA, LOL. We've never ever been remotely top class.

Still, there's hope for England - there's a good crop of potential players coming up from the youth ranks.

And as an outsider routing for England just for sentimental reasons, I thought that the 2014 WC squad was pretty decent - by contrast, I thought that the 2010 WC squad was really bad - maybe a bit better than the USA squad at the same time, but not but a huge amount.
==================
Back on topic - Sterling has done much better for our squad than I expected. When the opposition parks the bus, we need players that can beat their defenders one-on-one to create scoring opportunities - Sterling absolutely does this for me. And, Sterling under Pep seems very motivated - running back and contributing on defense.

I've gone from a slight dislike of Raheem to a fan - if Raheem is on the field, it's a benefit to our side.

Last edited:
Thought he was really good in parts tonight, wish Alli would have slipped him in, he made some excellent runs beyond the French defense. Hopefully signing Sanchez will help him, seeing that level of a winger every day in training will really bring him on as a player.

It still baffles me how under rated this lad is to some and the stick he still gets from certain quarters take the BBC rating for example "Great invention to play a key part in Kane's opening goal but so frustrating at other times with a lack of end product" and gets given a 5

Yet Alli who i thought wasnt even in the game until the pen and pretty much lost the ball every time it was passed to him gets a 6 and a better comment "More effective than against Scotland and won the penalty with a typical surge into the area"

He has a big season coming for him with the new additions and potential ones but I have absolute faith in his ability. He's a genuinely talented player and once he fully believes in himself and starts to take more responsibility like he seemed to be doing yesterday although it didn't always come off, he will be some player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.