John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ratings from l'Equipe that don't have anything to do with an evil English press (also, take a note of fair assessment of Sterling's impact)
d53dabd573c0f8ce9307161f5ef6a544.jpg
Thought Stones was poor but that does seem harsh to me and quite a few of those ratings seem odd to me.

He's not a good defender, he's probably not even been an average defender these last two years. He has the potential to be a great defender, but he's not showing it at all, he makes so many individual mistakes. Honestly this season is make or break for him, he has to at least show signs of progress. No amount of confidence on the ball will save him if he keeps making basic errors
I think he has the potential to be a great ball playing defender but not a great defender. He hasnt shown anything that would suggest he is capable of being a great defender.

Thought Stones was poor but that does seem harsh to me and quite a few of those ratings seem odd to me.
I've just pointed out that Stones' performances are regarded as pretty poor by a wide audience, not only in England. His club colours don't matter, doubt that l'Equipe are biased against City. He's an average defender right now, no need to pretend otherwise.
As for the list, I agree, he wasn't that bad. Can't take such ratings seriously anyway.

Ok Stones had a bad game after not playing in a long time, I believe this was his first start after coming back from injury despite being fit.

Mbappe destroyed him a few times, true.

He has shown in many games that he is capable of being a great defender and even made some game saving tackles. Pre injury he was probably in his best form of the season, and he will continue to improve. Lets not forget he just turned 23, far, far away from his prime years at CB. I think he'll get there.

It's the same as Sterling a year ago: ~£50m England player spoils dream of Merseysiders by moving to the evil Manchester City. Looks good in patches but is ultimately too inconsistent and indecisive to look remotely anywhere near their value. Gets slaughtered on England duty for whatever reason, rightly or wrongly, for the sole reason that this kid is supposed to be the first actual England player since 2004 to be legitimately special but it turns out they're a kid who's just trying to learn their craft and develop at a reasonable pace. Sadly, they're only being slowed down due to constant media pressure..

Since last year, Sterling has clearly upped his game big time. Obviously there's a huge way to go for him, but you know he's heading in the right direction. I feel confident Stones will take the same path as Raheem.

It's the same as Sterling a year ago: ~£50m England player spoils dream of Merseysiders by moving to the evil Manchester City. Looks good in patches but is ultimately too inconsistent and indecisive to look remotely anywhere near their value. Gets slaughtered on England duty for whatever reason, rightly or wrongly, for the sole reason that this kid is supposed to be the first actual England player since 2004 to be legitimately special but it turns out they're a kid who's just trying to learn their craft and develop at a reasonable pace. Sadly, they're only being slowed down due to constant media pressure..

Since last year, Sterling has clearly upped his game big time. Obviously there's a huge way to go for him, but you know he's heading in the right direction. I feel confident Stones will take the same path as Raheem.

out the tunnel, turn left & pick your seat :)

out the tunnel, turn left & pick your seat :)

:) Alright that was a good one. As for stones' ability and potential you feel its more living in hope than it is with sterling. Sterling was already a key player for Liverpool for a good two seasons and a golden boy winner. His quality and potential was well known and the past season was a case of him performing to his ability rather than him making any substantial improvements to his game, he just needs a bit more confidence in himself and composure in front of goal and he would be a consistent feature for the side for many seasons. With stones you feel he has to make massive improvements to his defensive game if he is to keep his place. I thought there was a period between February/march where he was making improvements to that side and buying into what pep wants but all things considered I would still currently have him as fourth choice center back behind komapany, otamendi and Kolarov(yes I know). They all suit pep's style of front-foot defending much better than stones imo so next season will be fascinating to see who pep chooses as his preferred pairing

:) Alright that was a good one. As for stones' ability and potential you feel its more living in hope than it is with sterling. Sterling was already a key player for Liverpool for a good two seasons and a golden boy winner. His quality and potential was well known and the past season was a case of him performing to his ability rather than him making any substantial improvements to his game, he just needs a bit more confidence in himself and composure in front of goal and he would be a consistent feature for the side for many seasons. With stones you feel he has to make massive improvements to his defensive game if he is to keep his place. I thought there was a period between February/march where he was making improvements to that side and buying into what pep wants but all things considered I would still currently have him as fourth choice center back behind komapany, otamendi and Kolarov(yes I know). They all suit pep's style of front-foot defending much better than stones imo so next season will be fascinating to see who pep chooses as his preferred pairing

I agree that Stones has to quickly get his defensive act together or he may well face a long time sitting on the bench next season. With Sterling, with the high level exposure he has had with Red Scouse, ourselves and Internationally, I would be expecting more composure and consistency (despite his young age) and therefore, I also feel he will be spending considerable amounts of time on the bench (and not through rotation) next season.

I agree that Stones has to quickly get his defensive act together or he may well face a long time sitting on the bench next season. With Sterling, with the high level exposure he has had with Red Scouse, ourselves and Internationally, I would be expecting more composure and consistency (despite his young age) and therefore, I also feel he will be spending considerable amounts of time on the bench (and not through rotation) next season.

The problem is, if Vinny breaks down, he is rotating for Kolarov.

Fur coat, no knickers.

I agree in regards to stones but would like to know why you think sterling would spend a considerable time on the bench. I mean I would understand if you think he'd be part of a rotation as I believe that will the case for all the attacking players next season but I find it hard to believe he will be a peripheral figure. I know many think he will be the one to make way for b.silva but to me unless he regresses or shows no improvement in front of goal(scoring), I'm certain pep trusts him far more than many here think him to be. Out of sane, b.silva and him, he had a hand in more goals than the both of them last season so this idea that he will barely feature for the team next season has not much to base off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.