John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be great.

But considering how much effort is going into rebuilding the rest of the team, should we be going into the next season relying on that happening ?
I know we agree on this but without wanting to just repeating myself (actually fuck it, I will just repeat myself), I just can't get my head around anyone thinking we don't need a centre back. We are strengthening other areas phenomenally, the odd person is saying that we don't need so many players for the three attacking positions but most people think it is fine to spend 50m on Sanchez in an area where we are looking pretty strong. But as soon as you get on to the subject of centre backs so many either think we are fine as we are or that we'd have to get rid of one to bring one in. Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted to get shot of one of Kolarov, Otamendi or Stones (in that order) but it wouldn't worry me in the slightest if we just added a quality centre back to the squad. I can see it happening though that we spend fortunes all over the pitch but go into the season absolutely banking on Kompany staying fit all season and/or Stones to make this miraculous leap in progress in the next couple of months. We have spent a few years neglecting full back areas, we will just be shifting that squad imbalance on to another area.

I know we agree on this but without wanting to just repeating myself (actually fuck it, I will just repeat myself), I just can't get my head around anyone thinking we don't need a centre back. We are strengthening other areas phenomenally, the odd person is saying that we don't need so many players for the three attacking positions but most people think it is fine to spend 50m on Sanchez in an area where we are looking pretty strong. But as soon as you get on to the subject of centre backs so many either think we are fine as we are or that we'd have to get rid of one to bring one in. Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted to get shot of one of Kolarov, Otamendi or Stones (in that order) but it wouldn't worry me in the slightest if we just added a quality centre back to the squad. I can see it happening though that we spend fortunes all over the pitch but go into the season absolutely banking on Kompany staying fit all season and/or Stones to make this miraculous leap in progress in the next couple of months. We have spent a few years neglecting full back areas, we will just be shifting that squad imbalance on to another area.

Your last line covers it perfectly.

All these years needing fullbacks more & more & 'getting by' each season but being clearly hampered, just to gamble on the same happening at cb.

Pep himself has specified it as a priority, so imo we must be after one even if the various itks aren't aware of it.

I imagine it's all about trying to get the right player.

If that's not possible, I would settle for a Demichelis type signing, just as inurance for a season.

I'd say he was pretty decent for nearly a year of his time with us but it took him time to get acclimatized to the prem and in his final season his legs just went completely. There were times I felt sorry for him because I felt he knew he'd gone but would still get thrown into the odd game.

Can't argue with any of these points, so I'll just add my 5 cents.

Taking into perspective the major transfers that are happening now, I think it's safe to say that CB position, as well as DM, will be strengthened sooner or later, the only questions are 'by whom' and 'when'. Guardiola isn't blind, he sees more than we do.

I guess the hesitation with new CBs is explained by a major change of transfer policy that is happening now but isn't fully acknowledged yet: we're not buying average squad players anymore, it's curtains for delphs, fernandos, negredos and dinhos (with all my respect to Fernandinho). It's either high class or nothing, it's the only way to get to the top when Madrid is buying Theo and Mbappe to be Marcelo's and Ronaldo's understudies. The 'concentration of capital' in football is becoming ridiculous, and until UEFA makes some sensible changes, we need to follow the same route, unfortunately.

Nev Knev suggests a Demichelis type of signing, which I strongly disagree. We're restricted with the number of foreign sport so heavily that any additional average player will become an immovable dross as soon as next summer. We need to either buy highest quality (ability or talent wise) that suits us, or not buy at all.
So, I'm okay with us going into season with the current, fairly poor set of defenders if it means that we'll get a couple of defensive 'starkids' in 1-2 seasons.

The only thing that worries me is that Pep often invests himself in his players too much, waits for too long when it's obvious that the the team is better off without the player. There are a number of examples - Hleb, Caceres, Chygrinsky, Ibra, Gotze, now Bravo. What I'd like to see is a bit more ruthlessness from Pep. Stones continues with blunders? Bench him, enough with the nannying. Otamendi slides on his ass after coach said he doesn't like it? Bench him too! Let Kolarov play! Joking ofc, but the majority is too kind to this pair anyway.

As for the opinion of posters thinking Stones and Ota have enough quality to compete with the best - well, Idk how to explain it. Maybe it's some kind of 'siege mentality' that forces to defend your club's players in any case. Everyone has opportunity to rewatch both Monaco games, refresh his memory and think what exactly City lacked last season.

Can't argue with any of these points, so I'll just add my 5 cents.

Taking into perspective the major transfers that are happening now, I think it's safe to say that CB position, as well as DM, will be strengthened sooner or later, the only questions are 'by whom' and 'when'. Guardiola isn't blind, he sees more than we do.

I guess the hesitation with new CBs is explained by a major change of transfer policy that is happening now but isn't fully acknowledged yet: we're not buying average squad players anymore, it's curtains for delphs, fernandos, negredos and dinhos (with all my respect to Fernandinho). It's either high class or nothing, it's the only way to get to the top when Madrid is buying Theo and Mbappe to be Marcelo's and Ronaldo's understudies. The 'concentration of capital' in football is becoming ridiculous, and until UEFA makes some sensible changes, we need to follow the same route, unfortunately.

Nev Knev suggests a Demichelis type of signing, which I strongly disagree. We're restricted with the number of foreign sport so heavily that any additional average player will become an immovable dross as soon as next summer. We need to either buy highest quality (ability or talent wise) that suits us, or not buy at all.
So, I'm okay with us going into season with the current, fairly poor set of defenders if it means that we'll get a couple of defensive 'starkids' in 1-2 seasons.

The only thing that worries me is that Pep often invests himself in his players too much, waits for too long when it's obvious that the the team is better off without the player. There are a number of examples - Hleb, Caceres, Chygrinsky, Ibra, Gotze, now Bravo. What I'd like to see is a bit more ruthlessness from Pep. Stones continues with blunders? Bench him, enough with the nannying. Otamendi slides on his ass after coach said he doesn't like it? Bench him too! Let Kolarov play! Joking ofc, but the majority is too kind to this pair anyway.

As for the opinion of posters thinking Stones and Ota have enough quality to compete with the best - well, Idk how to explain it. Maybe it's some kind of 'siege mentality' that forces to defend your club's players in any case. Everyone has opportunity to rewatch both Monaco games, refresh his memory and think what exactly City lacked last season.
Good and interesting post. Personally I probably would rather go with a Demichelis type signing if the alternative is not signing a centre back but I can see why you would rather not. If we don't sign a cb this summer then I feel certain it'll come back to haunt us and I'd hate Pep only be with us for three years and essentially spend most of it in some kind of transitional limbo. The squad would have a better balance if we got a cb now and left the next attacking signing till next summer rather than the other way round and for me the priority should be providing him with the most balanced squad we can as quickly as possible. I fear we are falling into the same trap wenger has done for a good few years. Looking like a couple of big defensive minded signings would take them to the next level but he could never resist blowing their budget on another attacking mid and compromising everything with defensive signings on the cheap or trying to get by with second rate chumps like Coquelin.

Andrew_K said:
What I'd like to see is a bit more ruthlessness from Pep. Stones continues with blunders? Bench him, enough with the nannying. Otamendi slides on his ass after coach said he doesn't like it? Bench him too! Let Kolarov play! Joking ofc, but the majority is too kind to this pair anyway.

Gotta have the personnel to be able to do that and still compete for titles, which is exactly what I think Pep is trying to achieve with an "English-sized" squad. I think he realizes that his practice of 16 "real" players doesn't work in England, both because of the schedule, but also because of the ridiculously competitive nature of the league...which doesn't exist in nearly the same way in Spain or Germany.

Additionally, I think there are more than a few players (Hart, Nasri and Yaya for starters) who might have thought they were the "big I am" until Pep cured them of the notion, so I think he will be able to be more ruthless this coming season. For Stones, that means perform or sit.

Wrt Stones, I think the biggest thing has been what he is being asked to do is not entirely natural to him and he is still young. However, with even a slight change in attitude next season, the back three/four/five can be significantly better. More precisely, the decision making on when it is, and more importantly is not, reasonable to play out of the back, rather than distribute the ball down the channels to the wingers and inside midfielders.

This season isn't shaping up to be one of the most exciting ever for all the clubs, as the money sloshing around is giving all the clubs the ability to import the best talent available. I just hope we don't mistake City for Barcelona too soon, and still carry some bite and fight through the middle of the park. Have yet to see a player like that being recruited and we need at least one in there for certain games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.