Random Acts Of Kindness

One thing I have found myself persistently stating on here is that I completely disagree with giving money to who you may perceive as being homeless.
Many will be beggars, not homeless.
And many (not all) won't necessarily be rushing to pay for some shelter, instead lining the pockets of the scum drug dealers in town.

You may pass through Mcr Centre for a few mins a day but take it upon yourself to stand around there observing for hours on end (as I've done with working security jobs) and you will see the beggars, as soon as they have enough money, they're straight onto the nearby dealer and scoring their fix.

Homeless shelters and hostels usually have a anti drug/drink policy thus if you are a user you won't be given accommodation.

Stop giving money and instead educate yourself on nearby Hostels/soup kitchens and other services which are free for the genuine homeless and speak to them, inform them of the services.

Giving money isn't going to help them in any way shape or form.
Just lining the pockets of drug dealers, who prey on the vulnerable.

But yes, sharing is caring however in this instance it isn't.
Spend your money on donating to organisations such as Shelter UK.
Buy the big issue.

SPARE MALE CLOTHES.
Please guys, if you have trainers, mens clothing, please Pm me and I can put you in contact with Andrew who runs a mobile kitchen throughout the week in Mcr.
They often get womens clothing and toiletries but there's far more men out there who are homeless and we need toiletries and clothing urgently.

Of which, there are a few soup kitchens, services in town now that help the genuinely homeless and need volunteers.
Maybe if you had 4/5hrs per week you could help out?

I'm going out tonight in Manchester city centre, meet up at shudehill bus station if you're interested.

Giving out food, clothes, sleeping bags etc etc.

Time is far better than your money!

In the past i've bought food for homeless people and occasionally given money but i recently stopped doing this on the advice of my flatmate who works for a homeless charity. Her advice was that as so many homeless people have substance misuse problems, it can actually be counter productive to give them anything (including food, clothing etc) as it facilitates them remaining on the streets rather than going to access services available to them which will also help them tackle the root of their problems. I usually just donate directly to Crisis or Shelter now. I guess there are arguments both ways. I guess whatever people decide to do as their way of helping, it's an act born out of kindness so it's a good thing, on balance though i've decided to take her thoughts on board as she knows way more about it than i do.

A few months ago I was on a night out and got stopped by a homeless couple asking for change. I don't give money, but said I'd get them some food and drink, so we popped to the shop. Told them to pick up whatever they wanted, and they were made up. Picking up water, those canned protein drinks, cereal bars, etc. Pretty sensible choices, and it felt good. I won't forget their faces when I said grab what you want, and I was delighted that they didn't dive straight for the ale or chocolate that wouldn't make much difference.

Later on in the night I was stopped by another fella, and I was a little bit more pissed by this point, so provided him with the same offer. This fucker dives straight for the ale which I told him I wasn't paying for, then turned his nose up at suggestions of water or the canned protein the couple from earlier went for. Prick.

Say please and thank you,it's a dying art but people appreciate it
I have a couple of people i pay to help me but i always follow it up with a thank you text,i think it's a nice thing to do,i am a lot more polite in real life that i come across on here ha

All good deeds are selfish acts. You don't so it to help someone out but infanct to make yourself feel better about yourself.

Not always boss. I helped an old fella with his bags the other day as his mobility scooter battery had died. I enjoyed listening to him and a few of his tales as we slowly walked back, me lugging his bags. My only focus was to help the old fella and remind him some of us still respect our elders and have time for others. I genuinely enjoyed his company and he seemed to enjoy mine.

I did feel nice after but that was not my aim, i wanted him to feel good about his day and have his battery failing relegated to a small inconvenience. He gave me some very nice plant bulbs he has cultivated as thanks (he insisted i take them after i noted my own fondness for horticulture)

Not always boss. I helped an old fella with his bags the other day as his mobility scooter battery had died. I enjoyed listening to him and a few of his tales as we slowly walked back, me lugging his bags. My only focus was to help the old fella and remind him some of us still respect our elders and have time for others. I genuinely enjoyed his company and he seemed to enjoy mine.

I did feel nice after but that was not my aim, i wanted him to feel good about his day and have his battery failing relegated to a small inconvenience. He gave me some very nice plant bulbs he has cultivated as thanks (he insisted i take them after i noted my own fondness for horticulture)
yeah but did you get the fuckers pension book?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.