Patrick Roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did we actually pay for Roberts, if I'm not mistaken it was a deal based heavily on stage payments with 1-2 million up front up to a maximum of 11mill total.
Don't fall into the media trap of them including everything possible to inflate our deals, even claiming taxi fares n the totals.

There must be loads of premiership clubs tracking him. Why not Hudderfield? He'd play every week. Got to be way better than playing in Scotland.

I have absolutely zero idea why anybody is even considering the “sell now” option, I mean, how much is he on?

Story so far…

A young lad who looked a “better than just good” talent whilst playing in the second tier AND at home youth international level, catches City’s eye and is bought on the cheap-ish as a future investment. BIG TICK FOR US. :)

He’d been playing for the mighty FULHAM but is somehow not deemed to be ready for our first team, but is obviously rated highly enough, and importantly, is good enough to secure a loan move of a reasonable length…

(ie. player is therefore accepted as “part of the team” by the locals and is not just referred to as “that twat from citeh, he’ll be off as soon as….”)

….arranged by City to be to a nearby…

(ie. reduced “culture shock” to player)

….lower level league, thus allowing him to showcase his talents when playing in a settled, and importantly, successful team for a while.

The loan is so successful that the team who are loaning him want him to stay, but he’s too expensive and, honestly, too good for them and for Scotch-land,

(no offence to any of you on here if you’re one of those crazy Jocko’s none of us can help where we’re born can we :) ),

…so after the designated time he returns to City. The player has gained some pretty good experience and has no doubt got some stories to tell, so at his yearly review there are probably big fvcking smiles all round. BIG TICK FOR US. :)

He’s been playing for the mighty CELTIC but is somehow still not deemed to be ready for our first team but is obviously rated highly enough that a loan move of maybe a shorter length….

(ie. player has target of “less time same impact”)

….is arranged to a lower level league which is a step up in both the “culture shock” and level which could allow him to showcase his talents when playing in a settled team for a while. BIG TICK FOR US. :)

Is the player asking for a move?

Do you think the player is regretting moving from Fulham?

Do you think that other players look at Roberts and think “should’ve stayed at Fulham mate”?

Or do you think we have a happy player on our books?

Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey and all that, the kid could be a superstar if he’s treated right…..

….or he might not make it.

But the experience he’s getting is a first class experience. BIG TICK FOR US. :)

The England Under-19 international joined City from Fulham in July 2015 for a fee in the region of £12m.

"He has potential. I am so happy with his performance," said Guardiola.

"We are going to talk about his future at the end of the season. We know his quality but the decision is not about one game. It is for one season."

I Hope Pep liked what he saw of him... I think he's Quality and wouldn't even contemplate selling him...

original

Talking him to America I believe..

He doesn't have a choice. If City decide to buy him back, he has to come back, Roberts may not like it and may ask for a move elsewhere if hes not happy. Lets say we sell him to a PL team for 12m with a buyback of 20m, he may have an amazing season, we decide to buy him back for 20m, we can use him in the squad or sell him on for probably 30m+, its great business.

Same thing happened with Morata at Juve, I am sure Morata would of preferred to stay at Juve but he performed well, so Real decided to buy him back, and now they will probably sell him to the rags for 70m.
The buy back agreement would be with the club and not the player. The club would have to accept our buy back offer but the player could still refuse our contract. But if we were exercising the buy back, surely the reason would be because we think he's good enough to feature. So that might not be quite the problem.

It borderline kills Sterling. Let alone Roberts.

As much as I don't want that to happen to Sterling that is a possibility (although he has a season to fight for his place). With Roberts I am unsure how it is going to pan out. He has a chance during pre season but that might not be enough for the season.

Last edited:
We need a big squad and we should give the lad a chance pre-season. If the lad is happy for rotation don't see the problem if Pep thinks he is good enough. Our bench was awful last season and need to start building strength in depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.