Grenfell Tower block disaster

Just a thought but would it be cheaper (not that this is the main issue) and less disruptive to have a fire crew at each of the tower blocks for a week whilst they do the testing and remove the cladding if needed?

cheaper and less disruptive to the tower block.
less safe for the residents, the first engine was at grenfell in 6 minutes and look what happened.
less safe for everyone else. there are 157 fire engines in london of which about 135 are available at any one time (taking into account maintenance repair and crew training). Taking 5 more out of commission (along with about 100 firefighters) for a week is likely to cost lives at other fires.

Just a thought but would it be cheaper (not that this is the main issue) and less disruptive to have a fire crew at each of the tower blocks for a week whilst they do the testing and remove the cladding if needed?
How many spare fire crews do you really think there are in these times of austerity?

I'd put wardens on duty in each block until they are made safe.

In the meantime if you want to leave then you should be given that opportunity immediately. If you don't then I don't think you should be forced.

Imagine being told to move out at any time, nightmare stuff, and it does seem all a bit unnecessary to me, this stuff has been on these flats for 10 years without significant incident, it could be done far better than this, that's for sure.

One thing that has to be looked at, is the housing of old and disabled people in these blocks, not to mention young families. If another fire occurs, getting elderly, disabled and young kids, from high up floors is a logistical nightmare, as they can't use lifts, and can't move quickly. They should only be on the lowest floors only in future, and ideally not in these buildings at all, that will be another difficult logistical problem.

Imagine being told to move out at any time, nightmare stuff, and it does seem all a bit unnecessary to me, this stuff has been on these flats for 10 years without significant incident, it could be done far better than this, that's for sure.

One thing that has to be looked at, is the housing of old and disabled people in these blocks, not to mention young families. If another fire occurs, getting elderly, disabled and young kids, from high up floors is a logistical nightmare, as they can't use lifts, and can't move quickly. They should only be on the lowest floors only in future, and ideally not in these buildings at all, that will be another difficult logistical problem.

not really a nightmare and I have young children, disabled wife and pets.
if houses similar to mine had been shown to be unsafe and killed people and I was offered temporary accomodation in a leisure centre, I would be at the leisure centre in a heratbeat

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.