Would You Like To See The (Manchester) Bee Incorporated Into Any Future Badge Redesign?

Oh ok, well if Blackburn are no longer in Lancashire I guess that's a matter for them if they want to have the rose on their badge or not.

There are plenty of symbols that appear on many CoA like the lion and antelope. I appreciate towns like Blackburn were an essential part of the industrial revolution so perhaps have a fondness for the bee and what it represents.

But the discussion was about symbols representing places. The bee has always represented Manchester, even if it went over the head of one or two posters on here. The rose has always represented Lancashire.

For me, Manchester City represents the city of Manchester. Whether it's in Lamcashire or not (which it isn't) so the Rose doesn't really have much meaning anymore to the city, whereas the bee does.

i think it does, its part of our past and Manchester's identity. symbols on the badge dont have to be current or to do with now, the ship isn't exactly relevant to now either. the rose is very important in my opinion and should always be on the badge. the bee itself id just have on the shirt somewhere.

No, lived in Manchester all my life and never even heard about the bee until May.

Do you ever go in to town? Have you never seen a bee on a post, a bin, a flower pot etc? They're absolutely everything in the city centre, genuinely can't get my head around how people haven't seen them before May.

Do you ever go in to town? Have you never seen a bee on a post, a bin, a flower pot etc? They're absolutely everything in the city centre, genuinely can't get my head around how people haven't seen them before May.

Yeah loads never noticed it at all, I had no idea it existed until everyone started getting tattoos.

Yeah loads never noticed it at all, I had no idea it existed until everyone started getting tattoos.

They're everywhere in town mate, I'm sure you'll notice them next time you're in and wonder how on earth you missed them. Walk around Deansgate near Kendalls and you see one every 5 yards on pots, bins, posts etc

They're everywhere in town mate, I'm sure you'll notice them next time you're in and wonder how on earth you missed them. Walk around Deansgate near Kendalls and you see one every 5 yards on pots, bins, posts etc

Not just town, they are on the older bins outside bus stops, the bollards at the end of my street (in gorton) in fact anything the council put out.
Every part of GM has different, if I wander over to tameside their public bins have a lamb on them in a shield.

Well according to Dr Gary James, the ship represents Manchester's trading links, that's good enough for me.

Obviously cotton was the main good traded when the CoA was created, but Manchester still trades with the world, so it's still relevant today for me.
Yep-the ship is about Manchester's trading links and predates the Ship Canal.

On the bee - the idea of including a bee was discussed at length in the consultation process and those that filled in the questionnaires, attended the talks etc. were encouraged to give their views on it. The bee was not popular with fans and didn't get many people saying it should be included then. The bee is, probably, the most important Manchester symbol but it has never been an emblem of MCFC. It's important that Manchester uses it but fans made it clear that it wasn't regarded as a MCFC image etc.

Part of the reason the club went to the lengths it did to explain the significance of each element in all the badges and those associated with Manchester was to ensure the badge had genuine connections with the club's fans, history, identity and drive. The bee's a great symbol but fans overwhelming chose over elements - I think the stars got more votes at the time! Personally, I wouldn't have had the rose in the badge because it was introduced by the new board in 1972 that led to Swales taking power, but that's only my opinion. That's why the consultation was set up - to get majority feelings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.