Sky Sports Relaunch- New and Exclusive Channels for Football

waspish

Sky to rebrand sports channels and lower prices to combat falling viewing figures
Sky is planning a major overhaul of its sports channels, including rebranding them and offering cheaper packages.

According to The Guardian, Sky will replace its numbered channels (Sky Sports 1, 2, 3 etc) with ones themed around individual sports, similar to the existing Sky Sports F1 channel. The channels will reportedly be called Sky Sports Football (which will have two channels), Sky Sports Golf and Sky Sports Cricket. A new channel called Sky Sports Arena will show other sports including rugby and tennis.

Sky will also offer each channel individually, with the cheapest package starting at £18 a month.

This not only allows Sky to reduce its prices, the company can also determine how popular each sport is, and hence how valuable the rights to major events are.

The cost of live Premiership rights has skyrocketed in recent years. Two years ago, Sky shelled out £4.2bn for the live rights to Premier League matches - that's 83 per cent more than it paid for the previous multi-year deal. However, despite the introduction of new technologies such as 4K and split-screen, viewing figures for football as a whole have declined.

Some analysts think Sky is falling victim to the rise of streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, which offer unlimited viewing for as little as £6 a month. Though neither focuses on sport, Amazon does offer live action courtesy of Eurosport Player, which you have to pay extra for.

Sports - especially Premier League football - has been seen as the one area that streaming services can't compete with the likes of pay-TV providers like Sky and BT. If this latest development is any indication, it seems like they might not have to.

We've contacted Sky for comment and will update this story when we hear back.

About time they did something. I only really watch City games so £27.50 a month for skysports is still too expensive for me. I would happily pay it for a season ticket for just city games if I was guaranteed to get every city game live

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Maybe it's not possible or practical for them, i don't know the intricacies of the TV deal, but surely they have to offer a streaming only package?

I don't even own a TV now.

And they should have all the full games available to watch/replay whenever you want. How many people work weekends and can't watch the games live? Must be millions.

Re-branding the same thing won't change anything for them.

Maybe it's not possible or practical for them, i don't know the intricacies of the TV deal, but surely they have to offer a streaming only package?

I don't even own a TV now.

And they should have all the full games available to watch/replay whenever you want. How many people work weekends and can't watch the games live? Must be millions.

Re-branding the same thing won't change anything for them.

Yeah there is a streaming service but thats with your normal sports package. Agree also they should be links to all games to rewatch because if you only have streaming you have no record function.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.