2017/18 Checkatrade(EFL) Trophy (15/08 v Rotherham)

MCFC1993

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.../man-city-academy-checkatrade-trophy-13258706

Wasn't sure which forum (Bluemoon or Youth) to put it in as the only requirement for invited teams is 6 U21's must start.

So we opted out last year but looks like we're set to compete in it this year. It's the former Johnstones Paint Trophy for those not familiar with the rebranding. Arsenal and Liverpool also set to join, Chelsea already in it.

Obviously the fans of lower league teams will not be happy but I personally think it's great opportunity for our young lads.

How do you feel about this?

Will you go to the games?

Last edited:
I like the idea, good opportunity for the youngsters to play. Last year the tournament was ridiculed by most clubs who took part (fans of most EFL clubs boycotted the games).

I like the idea, good opportunity for the youngsters to play. Last year the tournament was ridiculed by most clubs who took part (fans of most EFL clubs boycotted the games).

Yeah I get why lower league ridicule it but financially it obviously helps some of those clubs out a lot.

Big chance for our youth players to play against professional experience players in front of large crowds. It will be on us fans to show up for the home games in order for them to experience this. Great chance for some of our fans to get to lower league grounds as well(if they can get away from work).

Yeah I get why lower league ridicule it but financially it obviously helps some of those clubs out a lot.

Big chance for our youth players to play against professional experience players in front of large crowds. It will be on us fans to show up for the home games in order for them to experience this. Great chance for some of our fans to get to lower league grounds as well(if they can get away from work).
Im not sure how much it helped them when you look at the crowds. They were often in the hundreds, never mind low thousands. Its not like fans are going to turn out in droves to watch City players they have never heard of. I wonder what kind of crowd they need to attract to even cover the costs of policing, staff, utilities etc.

I'm with you OP, I'll definitely be going to the games if the ticket prices are reasonable.

Considering its local teams as well in the early group stages, would be fun seeing us play against Oldham/Bury again, one thing I miss since we went all MASSIVE is the Pre season friendlies against Stalybridge and the like.

And with there being a minimum of only 6 u21 players, does this mean we could field the likes of Bravo, Bony and so on?

Im not sure how much it helped them when you look at the crowds. They were often in the hundreds, never mind low thousands. Its not like fans are going to turn out in droves to watch City players they have never heard of. I wonder what kind of crowd they need to attract to even cover the costs of policing, staff, utilities etc.

Theres obviously bigger financially incentives for allowing invited teams otherwise the boards of lower league clubs wouldn't have agreed to it. Granted the crowds last year were poor but that didn't stop 80,000+ turning out for the final.

I definitely think it'll be on us fans as the invited club to turn out for the home games in order to help our young players. Just hope City price tickets properly.

Where will City play at home? Etihad?

I hope so, surely the competition organisers would have requested we use our proper stadium. If we play at the 'minihad' we are basically reducing ourselves to a smaller attendance. Play at the Etihad and try and get 20,000 fans there and then by word of mouth and progression in the tournament we might get more there.

I'm with you OP, I'll definitely be going to the games if the ticket prices are reasonable.

Considering its local teams as well in the early group stages, would be fun seeing us play against Oldham/Bury again, one thing I miss since we went all MASSIVE is the Pre season friendlies against Stalybridge and the like.

And with there being a minimum of only 6 u21 players, does this mean we could field the likes of Bravo, Bony and so on?

The local away games does make it all the more exciting I agree, getting 3000 fans rocking up to Rochdale/Bury/Oldham away would be brilliant.

I think the competition rules does leave room there for some of our experienced players to play, don't know whether that will be frowned upon. City might do it to increase attendances though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.