Veganism

Is that true? I thought it was a relatively recent change in our history, say around 10,000 years. Physiologically, we're more likely to have been herbivores for considerably longer in our evolution before becoming omnivores.
I've not checked, but I would have thought that the timespan was far longer, after all chimpanzees, with
which we share most of our DNA with, will also eat meat. They will also attack, kill and consume their own kind.
The heartless little bastards.

Is that true? I thought it was a relatively recent change in our history, say around 10,000 years. Physiologically, we're more likely to have been herbivores for considerably longer in our evolution before becoming omnivores.
That's simply not true.

We have four canines, we have forward facing eyes (herbivores are generally on the sides of the head to better see predators whereas predators are forward facing as binocular vision makes hunting easier).

No idea where you got your 10,000 year rubbish from.

A nice bottle of red wine doesn't go with lentils so I'll be sticking to steak - lots and lots of delicious steak.

we were hunter-gatherers long before that, the earliest human records point to that, and it was also the lifestyle of neanderthals, it's a huge part of our evolution and brain development.

we were hunter-gatherers long before that, the earliest human records point to that, and it was also the lifestyle of neanderthals, it's a huge part of our evolution and brain development.
I read somewhere that neanderthals' diet was virtually all meat, and they died out around 35,000 years ago?

That's simply not true.

We have four canines, we have forward facing eyes (herbivores are generally on the sides of the head to better see predators whereas predators are forward facing as binocular vision makes hunting easier).

No idea where you got your 10,000 year rubbish from.

My apologies.

Dr T. Colin Campbell, professor emeritus Cornell University.

I think he argues that that date is around when meat became more common in our diet as we were then capable of herding animals.

My apologies.

I think he argues that that date is around when meat became more common in our diet as we were then capable of herding animals.

There's a substantial difference between meat-eaters, and meat becoming more common.

My apologies.

The two words that stick out there are "more common" and it doesn't mean the same as your post which wasn't factual but I can see where you got that date from (around the same time we started farming and domesticating animals).

All homo's (sapien, erectus et al) and their Neanderthal cousins were omnivores and they do back between 250,000 and 500,000 years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.