Young British players should be a priority

It's worth mentioning that there are far more factors involved in being a good footballer than being a good sprinter. Which incidentally probably makes a player like Messi even rarer than top sprinters, because they have just the right combination of natural talents (for want of a better term) for a far more complex activity. But it means that natural sprinters are far easier to spot.

But getting back to the actual topic of the thread, there is no argument that British people are at some sort of genetic disadvantage compared to other countries of the world when it comes to football. The reason that England (population: 53 million) have a worse national team than Spain (46.5 million) is entirely down to player development.

Of course man, was just using a simple factor as it's an easy one to highlight. And I agree with the overall point - i'm hust arguing the case that some footballers are blessed by genetics. I don't for one second think that genetics hold people in the UK back. It's cultural mainly, and the idea that we don't have the right genes for it in this country is bollocks. I've watched a young Stockport born lad called Phil Foden play for our u18s all season who has just as much grace, if not more, than your average Spanish kid.

Our youth English lads now at teams like City, Chelsea, Spurs and so on pass it around gloriously at 14/15/16. It just all goes to pot though when they try and break through to the first team and never get a chance unless they're big and strong - that's the only way most PL managers will trust a kid to make his debut - if he's big and fast and willing to run. That obviously then unintentionally puts a bias on certain traits and its a never ending circle of bollocks that devalues technical kids and gives chances to the bigger lads instead.

EDIT - to go furhter into that, I honestly believe you could make a case for saying that the fact that someone like Maradona existed made it ten times more likely that the next Maradona-like great was gonna be from Argentina. They worship Diego over there and he was 5'5 and all about his ability technically, so obviously any young technical tiny lad they'd naturally want to be the new Maradona so they'd instinctively push him because every Argentinian coach wants to own the new Maradona, right? They'd do anything to unearth a new national icon, regardless of how small they were. In fact, the smaller the better! They'll be just like Diego then which will only help the comparison.

It's the same with Brazil, but in a different way. They love their beach soccer entertainers, the samba boys with the mesmeric feet. The 1970 team for example. Every kid growning up in Brazil wanted to be like them, and you had the successors in Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, and now maybe our Jesus and defo Neymar. So any kid who is in an academy at 12 who plays exceptionally well in their style will clearly get more chances in the longer term than the just as effective, but less flamboyant, player at the same age cos they simply don't fit the identity Brazilians crave.

Sadly over here we pride PASSION and pace and power a bit too much. We're trying to change it, but the sight of a bloodied bandaged centre-back always did a lot more for us in terms of our self-image than any skilful playmaker. Hello Terry Butcher, sod off Matt Le Tissier....there are of course exceptions, but I do have a theory that we need an impossibly flamboyant player to challenge the levels of Messi, Pele, Cruyff, Maradona one day to change what we *expect* from an English lad. If someone like Sancho or Foden one day reached the peak of the game and won Ballon D'ors, which though unlikely, isn't impossible, then maybe just maybe one day English academy directors and coaches would feel a lot more ease looking at the small skilful lad thinking 'this could be the next Phil Foden!!'...even if it is just to hype them up and sell them on.

Of course I could just be talking bollocks there. It's only a theory afterall.

Last edited:
Doubt you will die after me. Nothing changes for normal people whether in or out of the EU just gives folk something to be hysterical about because there always has to be a something for people to be hysterical about.
How old are you?

And getting massively off-topic but can I ask what your profession is (although I'm guessing by your first sentence you're a school kid?)? I've just finished a year's internship in Purchasing for a multi-national and I can tell you the exchange rates alone severely f*cked the company negotiating new deals and that's not taking into account the possibility of further barriers should we actually leave the single market.

Good players able to improve our team should be a priority. The HG rule is mainly to benefit the England team and personally, I've never been a fan of International football. Where our academies are concerned, this is different. As Vieira said, our boys need to play more man football which is why our lower leagues should be extended to allow clubs to have 2nd teams.

I'm sure a club like Stockport would love to have our best youngsters and first team players returning from injury in their squad. Our most promising coaches could cut their teeth there & they could further utilise our facilities & better expertise. It makes perfect financial sense on all levels and would help English football no end.

Don't necessarily need second teams though - not really a fan of taking the mick out of other clubs. But, it does show we need to make more of the loan system and ensure our youngsters, regardless of their talent, view playing for a lower league club as an opportunity rather than a burden. All about mentality.

How old are you?

And getting massively off-topic but can I ask what your profession is (although I'm guessing by your first sentence you're a school kid?)? I've just finished a year's internship in Purchasing for a multi-national and I can tell you the exchange rates alone severely f*cked the company negotiating new deals and that's not taking into account the possibility of further barriers should we actually leave the single market.

I'm 43 and a team manager for a financial services business. As you gain experience in the big wide world you will realise how irrelevant the exchange rate is for the vast majority of people and whilst you might care about your supposed "multi national" nobody else does I've seen it for myself over many years. I fully appreciate if that's the bubble you operate in though then its important to you.

I'm indifferent to Brexit like everything its "pros and cons" same if we leave the single market there will be winners and losers, yours peers are going to feed you that narrative but the chances are its going to have no impact the vast majority of people. You see if it was not Brexit it would be something else that would mean the end of the world in the eyes of the "luvvies" but rest assured the sun is still coming up tomorrow.

I'm 43 and a team manager for a financial services business. As you gain experience in the big wide world you will realise how irrelevant the exchange rate is for the vast majority of people and whilst you might care about your supposed "multi national" nobody else does I've seen it for myself over many years. I fully appreciate if that's the bubble you operate in though then its important to you.

I'm indifferent to Brexit like everything its "pros and cons" same if we leave the single market there will be winners and losers, yours peers are going to feed you that narrative but the chances are its going to have no impact the vast majority of people. You see if it was not Brexit it would be something else that would mean the end of the world in the eyes of the "luvvies" but rest assured the sun is still coming up tomorrow.
Yep multi-national, has about £80bn assets worldwide. IDC what you think is real world experience and what isn't, I can tell you that in my last week of internship alone there was an issue where the contract drawn up between a specific department and a supplier not signed off by ourselves which voided it, and when we negotiated the new contract the post-Brexit exchange rates added an extra £15k onto the order the department was placing. Maybe small-fry in the scheme of things but I don't think what I've seen in my limited working experience is an anomaly to what is going on up and down the country, if you're dealing with foreign companies as most big business does you're going to be affected by exchange rates and trade barriers, we're an import economy and a weak pound is going to f*ck us.

How would your company export freely to the EU without single market access?

Don't necessarily need second teams though - not really a fan of taking the mick out of other clubs. But, it does show we need to make more of the loan system and ensure our youngsters, regardless of their talent, view playing for a lower league club as an opportunity rather than a burden. All about mentality.
We effectively send individual players to 'second clubs' by loaning them out, IO could see nothing but benefits for us having a Manchester City Lite in the lower leagues who have full use of our facilities, promising staff & players. Are you saying a club like Stockport wouldn't welcome this on all levels?

Yep multi-national, has about £80bn assets worldwide. IDC what you think is real world experience and what isn't, I can tell you that in my last week of internship alone there was an issue where the contract drawn up between a specific department and a supplier not signed off by ourselves which voided it, and when we negotiated the new contract the post-Brexit exchange rates added an extra £15k onto the order the department was placing. Maybe small-fry in the scheme of things but I don't think what I've seen in my limited working experience is an anomaly to what is going on up and down the country, if you're dealing with foreign companies as most big business does you're going to be affected by exchange rates and trade barriers, we're an import economy and a weak pound is going to f*ck us.

How would your company export freely to the EU without single market access?

Well it couldn't export to the EU freely could it, maximise exports outside of the EU. That's what people earning megabucks get paid to figure out.

Like I said I'm fairly neutral to the EU vote, all it takes is say the economies of Portugal or Greece to collapse and the pounds rockets against the euro then you would be booming on the export front.

Brexit or no Brexit I can't see the Asiatic subscribers to TV football are suddenly gonna switch to the relatively inferior leagues of Spain, Italy, France or Germany. We need to continue to attract the best in the game. The 'English' game will always be more robust and more exciting than the continental version.

Sadly over here we pride PASSION and pace and power a bit too much. We're trying to change it, but the sight of a bloodied bandaged centre-back always did a lot more for us in terms of our self-image than any skilful playmaker. Hello Terry Butcher, sod off Matt Le Tissier....there are of course exceptions, but I do have a theory that we need an impossibly flamboyant player to challenge the levels of Messi, Pele, Cruyff, Maradona one day to change what we *expect* from an English lad. If someone like Sancho or Foden one day reached the peak of the game and won Ballon D'ors, which though unlikely, isn't impossible, then maybe just maybe one day English academy directors and coaches would feel a lot more ease looking at the small skilful lad thinking 'this could be the next Phil Foden!!'...even if it is just to hype them up and sell them on.

Of course I could just be talking bollocks there. It's only a theory afterall.
I agree, I will say, and probably should put the tin hat on now, but Glenn Hoddle was a brilliant footballer and his style and technique should have been modelled at all age groups. Running with the theory from twosips then had England won anything with him in the side, possibly he would have become hero status and things at grass roots might have changed. Gotta win something first!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.