London Tube Change Greetings...

Gender isn't "actually a thing" in the first place though. It's a social/cultural construct. Society and culture is changing. It might not have been a problem for you but a lot of the gender norms/roles/expectations that society has rigidly ascribed to people on account of their biological sex hasnt worked out for them. These narrow views of what men and women should be have held people back over the generations, caused shame/anguish and stopped people reaching their full potential in my view. Baby steps like this towards a more open minded and less rigid view on sex/gender will benefit those who don't comfortably fit into those two boxes. It won't cost anybody else anything.

It's interesting when you talk about not having a problem with people wanting to change their sex. What about people who accept their biological sex and are comfortable in their bodies but simply don't ascribe to traditional masculine/feminine traits? I imagine in a society that is more accepting of gender fluidity you'd see fewer people opting for a sex change and instead just being a man who happens to enjoy wearing a dress or be a little girl that wants to play football. These sound like tiny things but can needlessly weigh heavily on people throughout their lives. Look at how high the rate of suicide is in young males? Time and time again we're told that the expectations on young men in respect to masculinity are a huge contributing factor in this.

At the end of the day, it really isn't relevant if you have a dick or a fanny when using the tube and if they want to make a tiny adjustment to the language they use to greet people with then that's fine with me.

Gender isn't actually a thing in the first place? In the very instance of someone's life it is

when a wowan gives birth isnt the baby a boy or a girl?There is nothing socially construct about nature and science.

There is nothing wrong in saying good morning ladies and gentlemen.

We are changing this because a tiny amount of people are offended. I am offended that people are offended, so do we change it back?

No issue with people deciding to become a man or woman , there choice but , this is silly.

As you say it's a tiny adjustment but there are bigger issues facing society than this.

If you have ever been on a tube you wil notice there is hardly any gentlemen on it ;-) well not in the sense of it's meaning.

I cannpt see why anyone would care or be bothered about the change.

Think they should use Dr Nick 'Hi everybody'

Gender isn't actually a thing in the first place? In the very instance of someone's life it is

when a wowan gives birth isnt the baby a boy or a girl?There is nothing socially construct about nature and science.

We are changing this because a tiny amount of people are offended. I am offended that people are offended, so do we change it back?

No issue with people deciding to become a man or woman , there choice but , this is silly.

As you say it's a tiny adjustment but there are bigger issues facing society than this.
He's referring to gender as a social construct i.e. masculine and feminine

Last edited:
If you have ever been on a tube you wil notice there is hardly any gentlemen on it ;-) well not in the sense of it's meaning.

I cannpt see why anyone would care or be bothered about the change.

Think they should use Dr Nick 'Hi everybody'

Agree. They should actually just use that

Biological sex is a matter of nature and science but gender is not.

It doesn't say anywhere that this change was brought about through anyone claiming to be offended. I also don't believe that you're offended either.

You might think it's silly but it matters to lots of other people. There's nothing better or worse about saying "everybody" than "ladies and gentlemen" so we may as well do it.

Indeed there are bigger issues facing society than this but given it's costing virtually nothing to implement and hurts nobody, what's the problem? There are bigger issues facing society than dog shit on pavements too but I think we'd universally agree it's good to try and avoid that from happening and we can do that without there being any detriment on efforts working towards world peace.

Biological sex is a matter of nature and science but gender is not.

It doesn't say anywhere that this change was brought about through anyone claiming to be offended. I also don't believe that you're offended either.

You might think it's silly but it matters to lots of other people. There's nothing better or worse about saying "everybody" than "ladies and gentlemen" so we may as well do it.

Indeed there are bigger issues facing society than this but given it's costing virtually nothing to implement and hurts nobody, what's the problem? There are bigger issues facing society than dog shit on pavements too but I think we'd universally agree it's good to try and avoid that from happening and we can do that without there being any detriment on efforts working towards world peace.

Fair enough geoff

Aren't members of the LGBT community male or female now then? Political correctness gone mad, probably had 1 complaint and decided to change it.
Exactly! What a load of old shite. Pandering to everyone's demands just because they bleated about it. Whoever complained about it I'd like to say to them 'get a life you sad fuck'.

Gender isn't "actually a thing" in the first place though. It's a social/cultural construct. Society and culture is changing. It might not have been a problem for you but a lot of the gender norms/roles/expectations that society has rigidly ascribed to people on account of their biological sex hasnt worked out for them. These narrow views of what men and women should be have held people back over the generations, caused shame/anguish and stopped people reaching their full potential in my view. Baby steps like this towards a more open minded and less rigid view on sex/gender will benefit those who don't comfortably fit into those two boxes. It won't cost anybody else anything.

It's interesting when you talk about not having a problem with people wanting to change their sex. What about people who accept their biological sex and are comfortable in their bodies but simply don't ascribe to traditional masculine/feminine traits? I imagine in a society that is more accepting of gender fluidity you'd see fewer people opting for a sex change and instead just being a man who happens to enjoy wearing a dress or be a little girl that wants to play football. These sound like tiny things but can needlessly weigh heavily on people throughout their lives. Look at how high the rate of suicide is in young males? Time and time again we're told that the expectations on young men in respect to masculinity are a huge contributing factor in this.

At the end of the day, it really isn't relevant if you have a dick or a fanny when using the tube and if they want to make a tiny adjustment to the language they use to greet people with then that's fine with me.

Gender really is a thing, it really is. The whole process of reproduction depends upon it.

Now when it comes to people identifying as male, female, neither or as a dog, I couldn't care less as long as no one gets hurt, it's their business. Nonetheless I can still believe if someone identifies as anything other than a human male or female, it's something that's daft but I would always encourage others to let them get on with it.

Being a feminine male or masculine female doesn't mean you're neither but I agree fluidity between the sexes will continue to grow and again it's not something we should discourage, we should let people get on with being them.

I agree it's of no importance that won't affect anyone, I just think it's a very odd and maybe even an over-the-top thing to do.

Travelled on the tube for years and never noticed the ladies and gentlemen, so couldnt care less.

Androgyny has been a concept and gender choice and also part of societies since ancient greece, and moe accepted in centuries past that were considered less enlightened than now.

So why some people seem to find it hard to accept that in by the person now is beyond me.

On Transexuals they were born the wrong sex so I doubt the old greeting botheredost, but hello everybody is a common greeting, so why not change it no harm done.

No one listens anyway only fortge stop announcememt.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.