Centre back options

Otamendi has resell value Kolarov does not.

If Otamendi stays and doesn't get his shit together and doesn't play much he won't have any resell value either, it makes sense to sell him instead of Kolarov.
Looking the way we have conducted business over the last 9 years, I don't think we decide to either keep or get rid of first team squad players on the basis of worrying about resale values. I'd be surprised if that starts now with Otamendi. The only thing is that presumably nobody is going to take Kolarov whereas we would actually be able to get rid of Otamendi so it may come down to that if we buy another CB and they can't all be squeezed into the squad due to quotas. Mind you, I don't imagine we won't buy an attacker if Bony stays and we were happy to get Bernardo in despite Nasri potentially staying so I don't know why we would be worried about buying a CB just because the mighty Kolarov would still be at the club.

That's what i said.
You said that we should sell Otamendi now because his value might go down by next summer. My point is we should get rid of Kolarov if possible but might have no choice as I doubt anyone would take Kolarov. Slightly different but, yes, would probably arrive at the same conclusion. Unless we are prepared to have Kolarov around the place and potentially not even be in the squad. Don't know if it would have to come to that, not sure of the numbers in terms of home grown players etc.

My thoughts exactly.

Btw what do you think of Boateng, Naval Naval?

I thought he was a bit of a coward at City so I don't know if he would grow some balls to play in the Prem, or revert back to being that player.

Having said that, a ballsless Boateng is still better than headless, out of position Otamendi or the current careless Stones.

Otamendi has resell value Kolarov does not.

If Otamendi stays and doesn't get his shit together and doesn't play much he won't have any resell value either, it makes sense to sell him instead of Kolarov.

Resell value should not come into it, only if we need the money now, for this transfer window.

Otherwise, it should be judged on what is best, this season, for the squad. Imo that would be replacing Kolarov with a top cb.

But if Pep decided he can't trust Otamendi & wanted him out, that would be a totally different matter. I don't see how he can ever be worse than Kolarov though.

He hasn't been our most important player in 3 to 4 years. Our most missed player? Sure! Our most important? How? He hasn't been around long enough in any of the last 3 years to place.

And for what its worth, I'll note Otamendi looked excellent for a month before Kompany joined.
Because he is a leader and drives the others on like no one else in the team, as i said its not just the fact he is in the top 3 CBs in Europe with his ability but also how he organises the team, no coincidence the past 2 years with him out injured we have been nowhere near winning the league

For me Otamendi stays and ideally we sign the best experienced CB we can this window and sell Kolarov for whatever we can (still more than a free next year). Review next year if Kompany can stay injury free then we could risk selling Otamendi. Look to bring in a top class young CB like Laporte or hopefully Tosin will have had a successful loan somewhere. This would mean something like this
17-18 CBs: Kompany, Stones, Otamendi, Experienced CB
18-19 CBs: Kompany/Otamendi, Stones, Experienced CB, Laporte/Tosin/......

Would've loved Bonucci a shame he didn't fancy the PL, not really sure who out there has enough quality to buy. I think we should only be buying players who are of the highest bracket now as we have a top squad. I think it would be better to make do with Kolarov for a year to ensure we buy the best possible than to get the best readily available player who we would end up 18 months later look to ship off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.