Eliaquim Mangala

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the context of a team managed by Pep, you cannot be serious. Stones is effortlessly comfortable in possession, whilst Mangala, erm, isn't! Stones fucks up now and again, but if Mangala was asked to give and receive the ball under pressure the St John's Ambulance would have to crack open the defibrillator for me every week!

Stones fucks up TERMINALLY 'now & again' & him doing so has helped knock us out of the Champions League.

No way would Mangala, or Lescott for that matter, cost us more goals or near disasters by giving the ball away.

Pep obviously likes every player to be 'comfortable' on the ball, which is not something Lescott or Mangala would be. However, the 'comfortable' Stones has so far imo, had a completely insignificant effect on our ability going forward, but a very significant effect on our ability going backwards.

The amount we have gained so far, by Stones so called breakthrough runs or passes, is next to nothing. The extra 10% of square balls to his central partner or underweighted pass backs to the keeper or fullback, compared to Managala or Lescott playing the same pass, does not weigh favourably compared to having someone who will kick the ball into row Z rather than casually pinch it from Falcao's toe, or lump it into the oppo corner flag rather than passing to the oppo cf in injury time.

It's all well & good in theory. In practice, it's often shite & Mangala would be slaughtered & written off as 'not good enough on the ball' for the exact same mistakes.

Stones is getting away with it due to 'potential' .

Totally different players.

Mangala has no authority on the ball, when he gets it he treats it much the same as a hot potato.

Stones is calmness personified and whilst he has made errors, it's as clear as the nose on my face (and it's big) that he will make it in a Guardiola team.

There are clear differences. It's why John will stay and feature and why Mangala will be on his bike.

That they make similar mistakes at the moment simply isn't relevant.

It will be coached out of stones

Stones gets away with it because he looks calm whilst passing it badly, whereas Mangala looked panicked but usually passed it pretty safely. It's entirely perception, Mangala was far more reliable with his passing than Stones has been, he just looked awkward. Mangala was also twice the defender Stones is, mainly because Stones hasn't been even average

Stones fucks up TERMINALLY 'now & again' & him doing so has helped knock us out of the Champions League.

No way would Mangala, or Lescott for that matter, cost us more goals or near disasters by giving the ball away.

Pep obviously likes every player to be 'comfortable' on the ball, which is not something Lescott or Mangala would be. However, the 'comfortable' Stones has so far imo, had a completely insignificant effect on our ability going forward, but a very significant effect on our ability going backwards.

The amount we have gained so far, by Stones so called breakthrough runs or passes, is next to nothing. The extra 10% of square balls to his central partner or underweighted pass backs to the keeper or fullback, compared to Managala or Lescott playing the same pass, does not weigh favourably compared to having someone who will kick the ball into row Z rather than casually pinch it from Falcao's toe, or lump it into the oppo corner flag rather than passing to the oppo cf in injury time.

It's all well & good in theory. In practice, it's often shite & Mangala would be slaughtered & written off as 'not good enough on the ball' for the exact same mistakes.

I agree wholeheartedly but unfortunately the party line is the opposite.

.....and he's English.

Lets not even try and comoare mangala and stones, they are a world apart. Stones was outstanding towards the end of the season and showed what he is all about, mangala has never shown anything because he is shit...and i mean smalling rojo shit.

I agree wholeheartedly but unfortunately the party line is the opposite.

It's obvious that Stones has the potential to do what Pep requires, but the actual current end result, is not what Pep requires.

He will have to go up a level this season, both defending & breaking through the lines imo, or his City career will already be in danger.

Hopefully he can do it, but imo it doesn't change the situation that the Mangler would have been no more a liability than Stones last season.

Lets not even try and comoare mangala and stones, they are a world apart. Stones was outstanding towards the end of the season and showed what he is all about, mangala has never shown anything because he is shit...and i mean smalling rojo shit.
Don't recall him playing towards the end of the season? Pretty sure we went with Ota and Kompany and were defensively solid for a change?

From the few games I saw Valencia against he big 3, Mangala looked fine on the ball and was a rock in the back.

I'd like for him to get a chance, but doubt it under Pep.

I wonder what Mangala's passing stats last year for Valencia are compared to the likes of Kolarov/Otamendi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.