Eliaquim Mangala

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the few games I saw Valencia against he big 3, Mangala looked fine on the ball and was a rock in the back.

I'd like for him to get a chance, but doubt it under Pep.

I wonder what Mangala's passing stats last year for Valencia are compared to the likes of Kolarov/Otamendi.

Mangala 83%
Kolarov 84%
Otamendi 88%
Stones 91%

Mangala 83%
Kolarov 84%
Otamendi 88%
Stones 91%

Thanks, gonna assume thats with 20 less passes compared to the other 3. I do remember seeing something where his long ball passing was similar to Kolarov's in completion with how Pep likes the deep balls sprayed up the field.

Lets not even try and comoare mangala and stones, they are a world apart. Stones was outstanding towards the end of the season and showed what he is all about, mangala has never shown anything because he is shit...and i mean smalling rojo shit.

In his debut game, Mangala played at a level I have never seen from Stones. Don't get me wrong, Mangala isn't the answer, problem is, I don't think Stones is either.

Thanks, gonna assume thats with 20 less passes compared to the other 3. I do remember seeing something where his long ball passing was similar to Kolarov's in completion with how Pep likes the deep balls sprayed up the field.

I'm not sure about that. Passing is not what Mangala is known for and his first touch is heavy which would land us in the shit when the keeper and the defenders are playing it out from the back. Mangala is physical, fast and good in the air. I'm sure there is a team out there that would suit him but it sure isn't Pep's team.

Make of it what you will. Kompany's stats from when he last had consistency of starting games.

image.jpg

Stones fucks up TERMINALLY 'now & again' & him doing so has helped knock us out of the Champions League.

No way would Mangala, or Lescott for that matter, cost us more goals or near disasters by giving the ball away.

Pep obviously likes every player to be 'comfortable' on the ball, which is not something Lescott or Mangala would be. However, the 'comfortable' Stones has so far imo, had a completely insignificant effect on our ability going forward, but a very significant effect on our ability going backwards.

The amount we have gained so far, by Stones so called breakthrough runs or passes, is next to nothing.
The extra 10% of square balls to his central partner or underweighted pass backs to the keeper or fullback, compared to Managala or Lescott playing the same pass, does not weigh favourably compared to having someone who will kick the ball into row Z rather than casually pinch it from Falcao's toe, or lump it into the oppo corner flag rather than passing to the oppo cf in injury time.

It's all well & good in theory. In practice, it's often shite & Mangala would be slaughtered & written off as 'not good enough on the ball' for the exact same mistakes.

Stones is getting away with it due to 'potential' .

That's a pretty pointless and unquantifiable observation in all honesty. How do you measure what constitutes a significant effect on our ability going forward and how many breakthrough runs or passes has any of our centre halves made (or indeed any centre half in the Premier League)? Breakthrough passes are the almost exclusive domain of midfield players, and what constitutes a 'breakthrough pass' for a centre half anyway?
As to the unfavourable comparison with defenders given to hoofing the ball into row Z, what do you imagine Stone's brief is from Pep? Try and play it out or bladder it into touch at the first sign of danger?
As to Mangala or Lescott not costing us more goals or near disasters, well in a conventional defensive set up there may be an argument for that, but under Pep I'd suggest that would be wishful thinking. I haven't forgotten Lescott's rabbit in the headlights routine in the Amsterdam Arena yet, and that was 4 years ago

Totally different players.

Mangala has no authority on the ball, when he gets it he treats it much the same as a hot potato.

Stones is calmness personified and whilst he has made errors, it's as clear as the nose on my face (and it's big) that he will make it in a Guardiola team.

There are clear differences. It's why John will stay and feature and why Mangala will be on his bike.

That they make similar mistakes at the moment simply isn't relevant.

It will be coached out of stones

Is the right answer

That's a pretty pointless and unquantifiable observation in all honesty. How do you measure what constitutes a significant effect on our ability going forward and how many breakthrough runs or passes has any of our centre halves made (or indeed any centre half in the Premier League)? Breakthrough passes are the almost exclusive domain of midfield players, and what constitutes a 'breakthrough pass' for a centre half anyway?
As to the unfavourable comparison with defenders given to hoofing the ball into row Z, what do you imagine Stone's brief is from Pep? Try and play it out or bladder it into touch at the first sign of danger?
As to Mangala or Lescott not costing us more goals or near disasters, well in a conventional defensive set up there may be an argument for that, but under Pep I'd suggest that would be wishful thinking. I haven't forgotten Lescott's rabbit in the headlights routine in the Amsterdam Arena yet, and that was 4 years ago

How do you quantify it ? By watching him. It's not even difficult. Five paces forwards, look.around turn back, underhit pass to partner.

Also, if we're talking about Amsterdam, how about our 'ball playing' cbs at Celtic or Leicester etc ? Again, different rules for one compared to another.

Last edited:
How do you quantify it ? By watching him. It's not even difficult. Five paces forwards, look.around turn back, underhit pass to partner.

Also, if we're talking about Amsterdam, how about our 'ball playing' cbs at Celtic or Leicester etc ? Again, different rules for one compared to another.[/QUOTE

Also, if we're talking about Amsterdam, how about our 'ball playing' cbs at Celtic or Leicester etc ? Again, different rules for one compared to another.
every game I watch him . you KNOW he will drop a bollock. !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.