Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just too easy to see everything through the Iraq deception. It doesn't change the achievements: pensioner poverty reduced, minimum wage, waits for NHS operations way down, more doctors, nurses, and police, Sure Start, the bus pass, restored free museum entry. Oh, and peace in Northern Ireland. All going well till the crash. (Don't forget Blair won an election after the Iraq invasion.)

Plenty of downside too, and the Middle East peace envoy stuff has been ridiculous. Perhaps, the good things are (for some) almost like saying Mussolini at least made the trains run on time.

Whether he should be saying anything about anything, including Brexit, is one thing. It doesn't make what he said wrong - especially that Brexit has meant Britain's going from strongest economy in Europe to weakest.

Yeah that's right we are the weakest economy in Europe. Course we are. I could say we haven't left yet , but I would just prefer to point out that your post is utter made up rubbish, posted as though it is a fact.

Yeah that's right we are the weakest economy in Europe. Course we are. I could say we haven't left yet , but I would just prefer to point out that your post is utter made up rubbish, posted as though it is a fact.

I could be wrong, but I think what Vic meant was that the UK has gone from being the strongest performing economy of the EU28 to being the weakest performing economy of the EU28; it may also hold for the G7 as well. Omission of performing makes quite a difference but, nevertheless, the change in performance has been quite rapid.

I could be wrong, but I think what Vic meant was that the UK has gone from being the strongest performing economy of the EU28 to being the weakest performing economy of the EU28; it may also hold for the G7 as well. Omission of performing makes quite a difference but, nevertheless, the change in performance has been quite rapid.
It is true that the first quarter has seen lower growth than other EU countries, but that taken
in isolation does not alter the fact that the UK's economy is far,far stronger than the vast majority
of the Eurozone. It's like someone having a £100,000 salary increased to £102,000, compared to someone
earning £15,000 getting an increase to £20,000, the percentage increase is far larger, but the comparisons
are not relevant.

labours brexit policy. seems like they want to retain the benefits of the single market and the customs union, but want to make trade deals. its a bit confusing and there a bit all over place with there policy still

Last edited:
It is true that the first quarter has seen lower growth than other EU countries, but that taken
in isolation does not alter the fact that the UK's economy is far,far stronger than the vast majority
of the Eurozone. It's like someone having a £100,000 salary increased to £102,000, compared to someone
earning £15,000 getting an increase to £20,000, the percentage increase is far larger, but the comparisons
are not relevant.

There's no generally-accepted definition of a "strong" economy - your comparison just sounds like you think size matters in terms of strength. So yes, I was meaning in terms of growth. Not that GDP, or even GDP per capita, tells the whole economic story. A useful little essay at https://www.economist.com/news/brie...reasingly-poor-measure-prosperity-it-not-even
Grenfell will help the economy (all that testing, all that cladding to be replaced, all the personal property to be replaced, taller aerial ladder platforms needed, insurance premiums up) so the reasons for "strength" may not always be good.

But you'd have to be in serious Brexit denial to think it isn't damaging the economy - taking small comfort that the "project fear" predictions of an immediate recession proved wrong. We may not have hit the buffers, but they're a lot nearer.

What really pissed me off recently is the (supposedly) unbiased BBC had "Trust Me Tony" Blair as headline news for 2 days in a row, reporting that he has it on good authority that there may be an alternative to Brexit, and that Europe will be willing to deal.

Firstly; What the f**k does it have to do with Blair? Who made him Chief Negotiator?
Secondly; Why should anyone believe a single word that comes out of his mouth after the Iraq WMD bullshit?
Thirdly and most importantly; The BBC are supposed to be impartial in these matters, so why based on the first and second points do the BBC give Blair top billing on every news program across the network?

Second round of EU talks tomorrow and cabinet members have spent the weekend bashing each other repeatedly over the head with Hammond now accused of 'treachery' over Brexit in the latest leak to the media. This is all reminiscent of the old Soviet Union when senior party figures would suddenly disappear and Pravda would list crimes of sabotage and treachery or in Hammond's case sexism, insensitivity and treachery.

Still it's encouraging to see May has a firm grip on her Govt., and that we stand united before the EU as we chart a new path to glory and...ah fuck it. Can't be arsed.

What really pissed me off recently is the (supposedly) unbiased BBC had "Trust Me Tony" Blair as headline news for 2 days in a row, reporting that he has it on good authority that there may be an alternative to Brexit, and that Europe will be willing to deal.

Firstly; What the f**k does it have to do with Blair? Who made him Chief Negotiator?
Secondly; Why should anyone believe a single word that comes out of his mouth after the Iraq WMD bullshit?
Thirdly and most importantly; The BBC are supposed to be impartial in these matters, so why based on the first and second points do the BBC give Blair top billing on every news program across the network?
The BBC missed a trick by not having Gina Miller as the new Doctor Who. lol

Because whether you agree with his big calls or not he's the most successful politician we've had in not only my lifetime, but my dad's too... and arguably ever taking world wars out of the equation.

He's probably also the most talented Prime Minister we've had in living memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.