No connection with the fans anymore.

I'm sure all of those people criticizing the players answer every call they get from a telemarketer, give money to every panhandler who asks and opens the door for every Jehovah's Witness. Oh, you don't? Why is your time more valuable than theirs? Because you're a customer?

Why do you want acknowledgement or an autograph from them? Because you want to tell all your mates you "met" a famous person and/or got an autograph, that's why. It's all about you.

You really want to meet them? You want your kids to? Then get out of the line by the us at the stadium and take your family and go volunteer your time at one of the charities they support; bet there are dozens. Then you'll see what they're really like and actually be doing something worthwhile too.

And until you let me in when I come to your door at 2:30 am looking for an autograph, or show up at your desk at work asking questions, remember that they're human too, and leave them alone.
Everyone is entitled to an off-day, and we all have different personalities, but every job, however gilded and privileged, has its down side; its inconveniences. For supermodels it's not eating, for professional swimmers it's getting up at 4am every day and for footballers it's engaging with supporters - a significantly less burdensome task than starving yourself.

If you hold a job that provides wealth and status then I believe you have a responsibility to undertake those relatively minor chores with alacrity. It really isn't very much to ask.

If you hold a job that provides wealth and status then I believe you have a responsibility to undertake those relatively minor chores with alacrity. It really isn't very much to ask.

100%. It's a ridiculous comparison in context, but I used to DJ in my early 20's and became a well known face in the local music scene. If people came up for a chat in between sets then I considered it my duty to talk to them. I'd note the same with the bands I used to support.

When based in London, we got to know Kevin Kennedy as he came to our pub meets for the match. He was an incredibly warm and polite man.

It happened to me and my grandson about 3 years ago. Caballero and Navas were marvellous. Both went out of their way to see the fans, signed endless autographs and posed for loads of photos and selfies. On the other hand Dzeko, Fernando and Demichelis totally ignored fans when only a few yards away and fucked off in short order. Depends on the individual player I suppose but some need to be told to be more fan friendly.

A shame. When I was in my early teens I would go to Maine Road first thing during holidays and very few players would refuse to sign even though you went every day. Trautman, Hayes, Crossan later.

You've just conjured up a picture in my head of Joe Hayes running five yards offside and then screaming for the ball. The ball was duly passed between two defenders and nobody was more surprised than Joe when the flag went up!

Just some balance, needed, players should want to and be dutied bound to engage with fans at appropriate times but equally fans should respect players when they are having private moments, like out at dinner and not pester them for selfies.

Just your experience, I've had many a great experience meeting present and ex players, the club and players get out in the community all the time. Some of us aren't happy unless we are knocking some part of our great cub....!

Some City staff aren't much better. I had an aggressive security guard try to prevent me going to a ticket window to buy for Spurs away. He knew nothing of the fixture. "When is there a match v Spurs?" he hollered at a colleague. I called him a rude name after he let me through.

I've done bits of work with Gordon Watson and Nicky Summerbee before. Both nice and affable chaps with a love for the game. He has his detractors, but Collymore cares too.

What I dislike about players' autographs is the they are, in the main, totally illegible, just a squiggle. I had a colleague, now deceased, who had an autograph book of pre-war players and showbiz folk, and they were all well and carefully written. Now they just get a marker pen and smear a couple of marks. I bought a City calendar a couple of years ago or so and each month had a photo of a player with his autograph. They were quite unreadable and meaningless. I was shocked.
I'm sure it's not just footballers - I saw Andy Murray coming off court the other day and he "signed" a couple of autograph books with what was clearly a couple of stripes.
Take a bit of trouble, you disrespectful morons.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.